Wimbley/Lawson...as good as..Ware/Merriman??

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
I was just wondering what the general consensus on this is.

In 2005 the top 2 "hybrid" types were Ware and Merriman.

In 2006 Kam Wimbley and Manny Lawson are the 2 "tweeners" to seperate themselves from the pack.

Do y'all feel the combination (talent wise) of Lawson/Wimbley, is equal to that of Merriman and Ware?

I'm guessing these 2 players will be very good, but not of the special variety like Merriman and Ware.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
I think Lawson could go further than Ware and Merriman because of his physical attributes.

He's faster than both player. He played DE and OLB just like they did.
Lawson just as strong as if not stronger than Merriman and Ware.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
I think Lawson could go further than Ware and Merriman because of his physical attributes.

He's faster than both player. He played DE and OLB just like they did.
Lawson just as strong as if not stronger than Merriman and Ware.

Sooo... who do you want the boys to pick at 18? Wimbley?

:starspin

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Our opinions really don't matter. I guess this will be resolved at the end of the NFL season.

Pokes28

Reaction score
In a word.... No. Neither of these two are of the caliber coming out that Ware and Merriman were last year.

Lawson has one move. That is run quickly around the guy trying to block him. He has never shown that he can bull rush.

Last year, we saw many times where Ware simply overpowered team's LT driving them to the QB. He can do that as well as speed rush, etc. Merriman has a bit more power than Ware.

Personally, I think of the two Wimbley has the best chance of success as an all around player. I think Lawson will end up being a situational pass rusher and not much else. But that is my opinion and I've been wrong many times before in evaluating players.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Reaction score
To say Lawson is much faster than Demarcus Ware is a joke within itself. Ware had the quickest snap read in recent memory and the combination of speed and power is why Big Bill and Jerrah took him so high.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I don't see the comparison -- Ware and Merriman are top 15 picks in any draft.

Lawson/Wimbley? Good first rounders but could easily be high 2nd rounders in a stronger draft

conner01

Reaction score
not even close.no one knows the future but today they are not even close

Duane

Reaction score
abersonc said:

Lawson/Wimbley? Good first rounders but could easily be high 2nd rounders in a stronger draft
:hammer:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The popular answer will of course be "no". However, the similarities are striking.

Pokes28

Reaction score
What similarities? That there are two "tweener" types coming out in consecutive drafts?

go to the tape and compare Ware to Lawson, you will see there is no comparison.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Pokes28 said:
What similarities? That there are two "tweener" types coming out in consecutive drafts?

go to the tape and compare Ware to Lawson, you will see there is no comparison.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh
I disagree.

Jaxonsdaddd

Reaction score
I would say Wimbley in on par with Ware and Merriman but not lawson..

Lawson reminds me of ex gator Huey Richardson...

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I say NO...the reason Wimbley and Lawson are so hyped this year is because of Merriman and Ware. I think both will be good, but not as good as Merriman or Ware.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I say NO...the reason Wimbley and Lawson are so hyped this year is because of Merriman and Ware. I think both will be good, but not as good as Merriman or Ware.

which is a good thing that we already have Ware ;)

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
abersonc said:

I don't understand your point this is a very strong draft, stronger than last years, and Lawson and Wimbley could be gone in the top 15.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:
I don't understand your point this is a very strong draft, stronger than last years, and Lawson and Wimbley could be gone in the top 15.

I'd say for the middle of the 1st, and the middle of the draft, both this year's and last year's, compare very favorably in terms of depth and value