Wimbley/Lawson...as good as..Ware/Merriman??

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:
I don't understand your point this is a very strong draft, stronger than last years, and Lawson and Wimbley could be gone in the top 15.
I agree that this year's draft is stronger than last and that both Wimbley and Lawson could be gone by 16. I think they'll both be gone by at least 18.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Jaxonsdaddd said:
I would say Wimbley in on par with Ware and Merriman but not lawson..

Lawson reminds me of ex gator Huey Richardson...
I love how some have to resort to bust picked over ten years ago. Mamula and now Richardson. Richardson didn't have the speed nor quickness anyways. There is a long list of tweeners since those two that have panned out and I trusts our head coach and his scouts to know which ones can play.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
It is sad to see that the common misconception of Manny Lawson is that he is not strong.

First it was he could not cover

Second it was he cannot stop the run

Third it was he gets caught up in blocks too easy

Fourth was he only has one move

Fifth was his legs are too skinny

and now this

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I think it's due to the fact that reports say he struggles shedding blocks in the running game, same knock Ware had on him and hence why he's considered a "tweener"

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Ware is going to be a complete stud, one of the best in the game. Merriman may also. The guys in this draft are more the solid starter type IMO.

Except for Lawson... He definitely has the physical attributes to be great and seems like a very solid person. But IMO he looks like a player who's going to have a hard time maintaining weight.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Ware is going to be a complete stud, one of the best in the game. Merriman may also. The guys in this draft are more the solid starter type IMO.

Except for Lawson... He definitely has the physical attributes to be great and seems like a very solid person. But IMO he looks like a player who's going to have a hard time maintaining weight.

I have to agree with this.

I wish I still had a hard time gaining weight LOL

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

Well if Gosselin is right and Lawson is up to 251 then I wouldn't say he has a probably gaining weight.

I agree with Rex, though, I sure wish I had the problem of not being able to gain weight.

Pokes28

Reaction score
If he's up to 251, then that means he's gained 13 pounds in less than a month. That isn't good either.

Everybody has their own opinion. Every first round pick is being disected and reviewed beyond belief. Looking for something that could cause problems at the NFL level.

Lawson has the physical tools to be great. The thing is that his play on the field does not show that he uses those all of those tools but speed. Does this mean that he won't be able to learn to use them? No, he very well could. Does this mean that he is going to be a bust? No, he could be an all-pro. But when evaluating players, the measurables are only a small part of the equation. People love that he was voted the defensive MVP on a team that has at least two other first day picks on the team. People love that he had a decent sack total. People REALLY love the combine numbers. But reality is that very few fans can break down tape to a point that they can see what the technical strengths and weaknesses of a player are. What we can do is look at recordings and determine what basic moves were used. Speed, spin, swim, bull, etc. If a player consistently uses the same move you have to ask why and how long will it take for that player to get more than one move that he can use to create havok. This is no different than evaluating an OL. Some are great at pass blocking, some are great at run blocking the problem comes in when trying to determine how long it will take one to complete their game.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theogt said:
Well if Gosselin is right and Lawson is up to 251 then I wouldn't say he has a probably gaining weight.

I agree with Rex, though, I sure wish I had the problem of not being able to gain weight.
Another report said he was at 233 at a couple of recent interviews... So who knows which it is...

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Rick Gosselin talks to GMs, scouts, and coaches and believes that Lawson is the best rusher and is even underrated. Kiper and Kirwan also believe he is underrated.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
cowboyuptx said:
I was just wondering what the general consensus on this is.

In 2005 the top 2 "hybrid" types were Ware and Merriman.

In 2006 Kam Wimbley and Manny Lawson are the 2 "tweeners" to seperate themselves from the pack.

Do y'all feel the combination (talent wise) of Lawson/Wimbley, is equal to that of Merriman and Ware?

I'm guessing these 2 players will be very good, but not of the special variety like Merriman and Ware.

I mentioned this before, but I'll post it again...

I see Lawson and Wimbley both as a Ware type of OLB.

I see Carpenter as a Merriman type of OLB.

So if anything it would be Lawson/Wimbley vs Carpenter.

Carpenter's style is closer to that of Merriman then Lawson or Wimbley.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rack said:
I mentioned this before, but I'll post it again...

I see Lawson and Wimbley both as a Ware type of OLB.

I see Carpenter as a Merriman type of OLB.

So if anything it would be Lawson/Wimbley vs Carpenter.

Carpenter's style is closer to that of Merriman then Lawson or Wimbley.
Given their build and the way they hit the ball carrier I'd say this is a pretty good analysis. Let me quantify it with this caveat though. Merriman looks for the big hits, Carpenter is more fundamentally sound in coverage and as a tackler. IMO anyway.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Given their build and the way they hit the ball carrier I'd say this is a pretty good analysis. Let me quantify it with this caveat though. Merriman looks for the big hits, Carpenter is more fundamentally sound in coverage and as a tackler. IMO anyway.

I agree.

bayarealightning

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I will say this, every hit of Merriman's is a big hit. He doesn't look for it, but they come by his tackling style (in other words, he doesn't wind up to get a little extra omph while tackling, but propells his body from a sound position). Also, he doesn't miss very many tackles. The Cowboys do not need someone like Ware, but a guy who can take on the TEs and OT in the running game and also drop into coverage. Unless, the 'Boys want to move Ware to the left side of the defense (the strongside). Ware could eventually do it, but he is perfect for where he is. Any OLB that you guys look at, should definately be strong at the point of attack and should also be able to rush the QB.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
I read in USA today that Wimbley said "he's stronger and more athletic then Ware!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bayarealightning said:
I will say this, every hit of Merriman's is a big hit. He doesn't look for it, but they come by his tackling style (in other words, he doesn't wind up to get a little extra omph while tackling, but propells his body from a sound position). Also, he doesn't miss very many tackles. The Cowboys do not need someone like Ware, but a guy who can take on the TEs and OT in the running game and also drop into coverage. Unless, the 'Boys want to move Ware to the left side of the defense (the strongside). Ware could eventually do it, but he is perfect for where he is. Any OLB that you guys look at, should definately be strong at the point of attack and should also be able to rush the QB.
I didn't say he "misses tackles." I said his tackling is not as "fundamentally sound" as Carpenter's is. There is a difference.

Let me explain it this way. Merriman blows guys up. It's violent and fun as hell to watch. Carpenter wraps up and takes the ball carrier down. Both get the job done. One is about explosion, the other about technique.

That doesn't means Merriman isn't technically sound, or that Carpenter isn't explosive. However, their strengths in these 2 areas are opposite.

Make sense?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Charger dude, do you just wait for us to talk about the Chargers or something? lol, you only have 8 posts and it seems all of them have been in response whenever your Chargers are brought up, just wondering

bayarealightning

Reaction score
Todd McShay of ESPN also looks at Lawson as a speed rusher in the 3-4:

Todd McShay: That means, with the 22nd pick the 49ers will address the defensive side of the ball. It could be any of the top DB's (Hill, Cromartie, Joseph, Whitner, etc.) or it could be NC State DE/OLB Manny Lawson, who is skyrocketting up the draft board and would be a perfect fit as a rush linebacker in the 3-4.

Ware is the Cowboys speed rusher. Going into 2005, Steve Foley was our speed rusher (with Shaun Phillips his back-up; both are currently having a little trouble with the law) and Merriman was the perfect fit for us as the SOLB. You guys are looking to fill a bookend position and not a mirror position. I do think that Ware could field the SOLB position as well as anyone as he matures physically and as he gains the technique to disengage with the OTs.

bayarealightning

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Charger dude, do you just wait for us to talk about the Chargers or something? lol, you only have 8 posts and it seems all of them have been in response whenever your Chargers are brought up, just wondering
I try to add something to the discussion. I am not as versed in the Cowboys as you guys are, so if there is a general football discussion, or a discussion on a Charger player, I may add my own .02 cents in. I live by the credo of "It is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and prove it":)