Win the trenches and you can win in any era

KB1122

Reaction score
If you want to dispute what I say, fine. But be quite mindful you are disputing the ruling logic of NFL GM's, analysts, draft and contract gurus.

PositionalValue.jpg

So basically, we never use a first round pick on the #1 position or the #3 position. But we use them on the bottom 4.

Explains things.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Yup! Even Mark Sanchez looked decent with the Jets when he had a good running game because of a good O-line and a good defense because of the D- line. Got them to back to back AFC Championship games. Once he lost them both his true colors came out.

T-RO

Reaction score
Yup! Even Mark Sanchez looked decent with the Jets when he had a good running game because of a good O-line and a good defense because of the D- line. Got them to back to back AFC Championship games. Once he lost them both his true colors came out.

There are certainly some quarterbacks, and some styles of offense that absolutely require a strong offensive line.

A QB with poor pocket presence? A QB with long, slow delivery? Guy with heavy feet? Put these guys in many offensive schemes and they will fail. These guys rely on strong line.

However The Bills and Chiefs (best two AFC teams) in contrast do *not* have good o-lines at all. They are mobile, resourceful quarterbacks with modern coaching. They can win championships with very mediocre blocking.

T-RO

Reaction score
...if you have a dominating defensive front that gets to the QB quickly, you are not going to lose many games .

Sure helps, but again, watch how a team like the Chiefs handles rush. Ball either gets out of Mahomes hands ultra fast--or he rolls, or pulls his Houdini act.

When Mahomes o-line is asked to "hold up"...It doesn't. But it rarely matters.

Again, all I can ask is...watch Chiefs line on these plays. With a few exceptions they aren't winning vs. rushers...but Chiefs are.

kskboys

Reaction score
Sure helps, but again, watch how a team like the Chiefs handles rush. Ball either gets out of Mahomes hands ultra fast--or he rolls, or pulls his Houdini act.

Again, all I can ask is...watch Chiefs line on these plays. With a few exceptions they aren't winning vs. rushers...but Chiefs are.

And their DLine won them the super bowl last year!!!!

T-RO

Reaction score
And their DLine won them the super bowl last year!!!!

Please explain. In Super Bowl 49ers had 21 first downs, 351 yards...even averaged a gaudy 6.5 yards per play (6.4 on the ground). Chiefs had just one sack of 49er QBs.

I'm open minded to your argument...but not seeing it yet. How did Chief's d-line win the game?

T-RO

Reaction score
In case anyone thinks I'm stomping on tradition...

Life was a lot better (in most ways) 40 years ago, IMO. People were more generous, courageous, accepting, hopeful and had a higher moral code. Much happier too. But in sports and tech and business...advances are made. Landscape changes. The NFL won't let you touch QBs and limits hits on receivers.

I loved me some Dick Butkus, but the game is played different now, better or worse.

It's a passing league. Teams throw much more, deploy twice as many receivers in formations and have to some extent learned to gameplay around pass rush. Sacks are down, folks.

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
kskboys....Was re-watching Super Bowl 2020, and gotta say, first 49ers interception was created by pass rush. Gotta go to bed...will watch more tomorrow.

basel90

Reaction score

very true. The quick releases and fast receivers are their key. Not sure anyone can stop Tyreek hill. that guy cannot be covered. But if the Bucs get to mahomes often , it will be a win for the bucs.

kskboys

Reaction score
Please explain. In Super Bowl 49ers had 21 first downs, 351 yards...even averaged a gaudy 6.5 yards per play (6.4 on the ground). Chiefs had just one sack of 49er QBs.

I'm open minded to your argument...but not seeing it yet. How did Chief's d-line win the game?
SF had a big lead. KC's DLine took over and completely steamrolled SF's O, making the comeback possible. The Chiefs do not win that game w/o Chris Jones.

kskboys

Reaction score
kskboys....Was re-watching Super Bowl 2020, and gotta say, first 49ers interception was created by pass rush. Gotta go to bed...will watch more tomorrow.
Pay attention to how Chris Jones and that DLine dominated the 4th