CFZ Winning with FGs vs “beauty contests”, style points and “power rankings”

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
To win in December and January, the offense will need to be better...crisper and more explosive. You can dink and dunk and beat the Gmen and the Wilson-lead Jets. Against some upcoming opponents, they'll need to be more creative.

2 and 0 looks good for now, but if the o line and play calls don't improve, the offense will sputter late in the season. We've seen this story over and over again through many seasons and coaching staffs. A too simplistic offense simply won't be the better teams.

Soth

Reaction score
The Cowboys are playing SMART football. We are not turning the ball over. Dak is managing the game. He is getting rid of the ball fast and avoiding sacks. We let the defense do its thing while the offense managers TOP and puts some points on the board. I don't see how anyone can be opposed to this.

With a defense like ours it is not smart to just air it out.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both Washington and Philly could be and maybe should be 0-2, even the NYG. However their opponents blew the games and gave them the games.

Dallas won convincingly on both games.

But here we are in a 3 way tie all at 2-0.
Sure we can sit and say we look like the better team overall. But yet we all are 2-0, and 1-1 for NYG
Their fans are happy at 2-0 as we are.

we just need to take care of whatever team is next and win.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
In our movie we never get the Beauty Queen. We're always at the alter watching her leave with another guy.....Time for payback...

Rayman70

Reaction score
This year's team is different. The vibe is different. We TCB and netted the win. Thats all I care about. Next victim...the cards.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winning NFL games is hard. Every single team has talented players and some really talented coaches.

This isn’t college football where the talent gaps between teams is massive. When Georgia lines up against Small School Directional State, they have an unbelievable talent advantage.

In the NFL the gap between teams is thin. It’s very hard to win.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The late Raiders owner Al Davis uttered perhaps the most succinct truth in NFL history: “Just win baby.”

That’s it. That’s sums up everything any of us need to remember about what’s really important in every NFL game- just win. There’s no swimsuit competition or “Miss Congeniality“ points in NFL games. Just wins and losses. That’s it. Win with 5 FGs and 2 TDs as we did today or win 2-0 on a late safety. Just win.

Yet it so common after a win to look closely and decide that it should have been better. Our Cowboys just beat a really good jets defense 30-10 but to some it wasn’t impressive enough. That’s ok. That’s what we as fans often do and certainly what the sports media machine does with their silly “power rankings” each week. It’s their version of an NFL beauty contest.

So here are some interesting thoughts about winning with FGs:
  • The niners beat us last year in the divisional round 19-12 with 4 FGs and 1 TD. It was ugly but they advanced and we didn’t.
  • Turns out “winning ugly” happens a ton in the playoffs
    • Since 2018, a whopping 11 playoff games were won by teams who had 4 or more FGs and 2 or less TDs.
    • In the 2021 AFC championship game, the Bengals beat the Chiefs scoring 4 FGs. Somehow that meant they won.
    • In the 2021 NFC championship game, the Bucs beat the pack scoring 4 FGs and eventually win the SB vs the bengals.
  • In the playoffs, you are often playing great defenses. Just score. Just win.
Bottom line: JUST WIN BABY. IT WORKS.
No doubt and yes I’d agree but in the playoffs we’ll also be facing better offenses , possibly greater defenses and Elite QB’s.

This team is off to a historic start with total domination but we haven’t faced a great team or Elite QB yet. And won’t for a few more weeks.

Enjoy the win but these criticisms are fair if used in right context. I promise you behind closed doors in the team meetings this will be a major topic on offense.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Winning NFL games is hard. Every single team has talented players and some really talented coaches.

This isn’t college football where the talent gaps between teams is massive. When Georgia lines up against Small School Directional State, they have an unbelievable talent advantage.

In the NFL the gap between teams is thin. It’s very hard to win.
great point and I agree. MM understands this and he gladly did what needed to be done and got us the win. Called a brilliant game I thought. The trick hand off to Hendershot didnt work but if he did , we'd be talking about a perfectly called ball game. The guy has multiple SB rings for a reason. As a HC and as a staffer. I trust him.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The late Raiders owner Al Davis uttered perhaps the most succinct truth in NFL history: “Just win baby.”

That’s it. That’s sums up everything any of us need to remember about what’s really important in every NFL game- just win. There’s no swimsuit competition or “Miss Congeniality“ points in NFL games. Just wins and losses. That’s it. Win with 5 FGs and 2 TDs as we did today or win 2-0 on a late safety. Just win.

Yet it so common after a win to look closely and decide that it should have been better. Our Cowboys just beat a really good jets defense 30-10 but to some it wasn’t impressive enough. That’s ok. That’s what we as fans often do and certainly what the sports media machine does with their silly “power rankings” each week. It’s their version of an NFL beauty contest.

• The niners beat us last year in the divisional round 19-12 with 4 FGs and 1 TD. It was ugly but they advanced and we didn’t.
    • Since 2018, a whopping 11 playoff games were won by teams who had 4 or more FGs and 2 or less TDs.
    • In the 2021 AFC championship game, the Bengals beat the Chiefs scoring 4 FGs. Somehow that meant they won.
    • In the 2021 NFC championship game, the Bucs beat the pack scoring 4 FGs and eventually win the SB vs the bengals.
In reality, Al Davis taught Jerry Jones an awful lot about the NFL and running a team. They talked together on issues for years...intelligently!

CCBoy

Reaction score
When you have a defense that disrupt so much and cause turnovers you don't need a ton of TDs. You get a point where you can keep it to a 2 score game with FGs and with your defense other teams aren't scoring more than twice in a half most games. I'm sure when we see teams like Philadelphia, San Francisco, Miami, Buffalo etc scoring TDs will be more important but as long as the defense makes stops I'm okay with scoring 4 or 5 FGs a game. I remember Dallas played Brett Favre the year he won the Super Bowl and Dallas basically blowing them out with 7 FGs.
4-6 field goals doesn't interest my base line. 10 points differential in a win, does although.

This Dallas Cowboys is able to score touchdowns and a regular 30 points average with this defense, does mean something.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Both Washington and Philly could be and maybe should be 0-2, even the NYG. However their opponents blew the games and gave them the games.

Dallas won convincingly on both games.

But here we are in a 3 way tie all at 2-0.
Sure we can sit and say we look like the better team overall. But yet we all are 2-0, and 1-1 for NYG
Their fans are happy at 2-0 as we are.

we just need to take care of whatever team is next and win.
Perhaps the Gints take out SF!

birdwells1

Reaction score
oh yeah lol

SF did it...did it against Dallas...its kinda like they said "we got Dak Rattled, dont do too much on offense and put the defense in a bad spot"
Naw they said "now that Pollard's hurt, they have only one threat on offense and that's Cee Dee". What are Noah Brown, Schultz, TY and Gallup doing today? Absolutely nothing. They front office lost that 49ers playoff in the prior offseason.

birdwells1

Reaction score
No doubt and yes I’d agree but in the playoffs we’ll also be facing better offenses , possibly greater defenses and Elite QB’s.

This team is off to a historic start with total domination but we haven’t faced a great team or Elite QB yet. And won’t for a few more weeks.

Enjoy the win but these criticisms are fair if used in right context. I promise you behind closed doors in the team meetings this will be a major topic on offense.
Name the elite QBs in the NFC.

Einstein

Reaction score
I have two family members who are die hard Alabama fans. Yes the Tide have not looked great this year so far but they’re still 2-1, and are still in the hunt for all their team goals. Like most Bama fans they are spoiled, thinking it’s their right to win every week.

When you get used to winning (as the Cowboys did in the 70s and 90s) you start to underrate how hard it is to win games to begin with. Much less winning “with style”.

A lot of winning tends to spoil fan bases because they don’t realize how hard it is to win to begin with. Turns out the other team has some talent and wants to win too.
Yeah, Pats fans are learning that these days, lol...

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Meh…it’s early in the season and I think the offense is naturally gonna lag behind the defense. If the offense doesn’t look sharp next week against Arizona, then I’ll be a bit worried

SBWinner

Reaction score

Rankings are a way for sports programs to claim relevance. They are just spectators like us, and paid to keep the crowd engaged and coming back for more. They do their job every week as you can see the NFL is hugely popular. For me, I pay attention to what is on the field more than anything.