CFZ Winning with FGs vs “beauty contests”, style points and “power rankings”

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
You don't throw the ball all over the field when you have a lead like we did. That's the biggest difference between McCarthy and Garrett. And you can even say Garrett disciple Moore. When you have the game won just take the win and move on. stats are for losers.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Teams win ugly all the time

the only team that gets called out for it is Dallas any other team gets call gritty and tough

its a special kind of stupid when people complain about dallas winning 17-13 as if the other team didnt come to play as well
Heh. Exactly. Cowboys get knocked for only scoring 30 points against a top-five defense while Philly gets flowers for a "gritty road win" against a mediocre Pats team and "finding a way to win" against mighty Minnesota--at home.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
If a "bad" offensive game is 30 points I'm okay with it. The Cowboys figured out the Jets were going to struggle to put drives together - they hit one home run - so there was no need to be overly aggressive in the red zone. Take the points and let your defense ruin Zach Wilson's day.

Mission accomplished.

Right on this game was in the bag and they knew it. If they had to get aggressive they could have. No need to show your Kellen Moore glitzy playbook that in the end looks good but your watching the Super Bowl from your couch.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't throw the ball all over the field when you have a lead like we did. That's the biggest difference between McCarthy and Garrett. And you can even say Garrett disciple Moore. When you have the game won just take the win and move on. stats are for losers.
The era of Fantasy Football has made stats more overrated than an accurate reading of a team or player. Sometimes a team who is dominating an opponent does not throw much anymore in the game causing some fans to look at the stat numbers and declare the passing game as not that strong.

Stats can be a helpful tool to understand a team or player. They can also be overrated without proper context.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Teams win ugly all the time

the only team that gets called out for it is Dallas any other team gets call gritty and tough

its a special kind of stupid when people complain about dallas winning 17-13 as if the other team didnt come to play as well
When you hang 70 points in 2 games, yes D accounted for some of those points. I will take our conservative offense any day lol.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The era of Fantasy Football has made stats more overrated than an accurate reading of a team or player. Sometimes a team who is dominating an opponent does not throw much anymore in the game causing some fans to look at the stat numbers and declare the passing game as not that strong.

Stats can be a helpful tool to understand a team or player. They can also be overrated without proper context.
The first two things I usually notice are seperations and how hard are tackles. Let the leopards run and bring on the rhinos. Context.

TWOK11

Reaction score
We’ve won our first two games by an average of 30 points each. That looks pretty beautiful to me.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Ginger wins the beauty contest. Maryann is the one I'm taking home.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The late Raiders owner Al Davis uttered perhaps the most succinct truth in NFL history: “Just win baby.”

That’s it. That’s sums up everything any of us need to remember about what’s really important in every NFL game- just win. There’s no swimsuit competition or “Miss Congeniality“ points in NFL games. Just wins and losses. That’s it. Win with 5 FGs and 2 TDs as we did today or win 2-0 on a late safety. Just win.

Yet it so common after a win to look closely and decide that it should have been better. Our Cowboys just beat a really good jets defense 30-10 but to some it wasn’t impressive enough. That’s ok. That’s what we as fans often do and certainly what the sports media machine does with their silly “power rankings” each week. It’s their version of an NFL beauty contest.

So here are some interesting thoughts about winning with FGs:
  • The niners beat us last year in the divisional round 19-12 with 4 FGs and 1 TD. It was ugly but they advanced and we didn’t.
  • Turns out “winning ugly” happens a ton in the playoffs
    • Since 2018, a whopping 11 playoff games were won by teams who had 4 or more FGs and 2 or less TDs.
    • In the 2021 AFC championship game, the Bengals beat the Chiefs scoring 4 FGs. Somehow that meant they won.
    • In the 2021 NFC championship game, the Bucs beat the pack scoring 4 FGs and eventually win the SB vs the bengals.
  • In the playoffs, you are often playing great defenses. Just score. Just win.
Bottom line: JUST WIN BABY. IT WORKS.
Thank you Bob for putting some perspective on these things,

Because people nitpick and cherry pick and try to take some of our shine away from these wins,

these are great wins because they are wins and we're playing great in all three phases... the play calling to in my opinion is a lot better than what it was last year and we are playing without are top two left guards we had Zach Martin in and out Brandin cooks wasn't there it is a brand new offense... so people get a little nuts but I guarantee down the road we're going to have to open the offense up and win some games with higher scores and we will..

As we saw last year our defense did not maintain this level all year they did it for about five or six games and then they had a big drop off and the offense had to pick them up and then it's just it's about team wins it's a team sport and it's just about getting the W any way possible like you said.. I mean it wouldn't be as fun to watch A 0-0 game. However if that were the case and even right at the end somehow we uh blocked the punt that went out of the back of the end zone and we get three points and the game ends that way I'll take that too...​

I think the biggest thing we should take from this is right now we have 17 games they're all gonna look different you gotta win more than you lose but it's how you play when you make it to the playoffs we must have some of this energy from the offense defense and special teams in the playoffs that's what we need.. So I don't care about the roller coaster of a regular season as long as we somehow get over that divisional game hump..​

blueblood70

Reaction score
We’ve won our first two games by an average of 30 points each. That looks pretty beautiful to me.
:hammer:Of course it's looks great but there gonna be people that wanna nitpick different parts of the game so they have something to complain about.. So many of them are the same people who were predicting our offense was gonna have a big drop off without Kellen Moore they said we would start out rusty because we didn't have preseason they didn't like our kicker all this stuff didn't come true so now they gotta find something to complain about you know when you're wrong sometimes your ego gets hit instead of admitting you're wrong they just come out and complain about little things and games,,

birdwells1

Reaction score
No doubt and yes I’d agree but in the playoffs we’ll also be facing better offenses , possibly greater defenses and Elite QB’s.

This team is off to a historic start with total domination but we haven’t faced a great team or Elite QB yet. And won’t for a few more weeks.

Enjoy the win but these criticisms are fair if used in right context. I promise you behind closed doors in the team meetings this will be a major topic on offense.

This really isn’t the thread to discuss. Start a thread and I’ll be happy to contribute.
Huh? You brought it up!!! Again, name the elite QBs in the NFC.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And it’s also early. We have looked great so far but 2 games is still not enough to call it even a sample size. IMO it takes at least 4-6 games to really know what a team is capable of.

I’m hoping for some consistency. Consistency is the habit of champions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Huh? You brought it up!!! Again, name the elite QBs in the NFC.
Taking it too literally . A broad statement much like entire post. I meant on our schedule which includes AFC and potential SB opponents if we made it that far.

Most of the Elite QB’s are in AFC. Not interested in throwing names out so you can dissect each one like you have my post.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you hang 70 points in 2 games, yes D accounted for some of those points. I will take our conservative offense any day lol.
I remember hanging 48 on the Denver Broncos and Peyton Manning back in 2013. The offense looked unstoppable that day. Problem is they hung 51 on us in a loss. I‘ve never seen Jerry so excited in a loss.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Its pretty simple, the Jets do not let plays go behind them (see Bills game) they rely on you to sustain drives with short plays and first downs betting you will miss a play or get penalty and stall out..... Dallas drove the ball, ate the clock and scored..if this continues teams will start creeping up to stop the yards AND THEN you will see the top taken off a defense. If the offense can sustain drives and score and your offense can not thats called a winning game plan for those of you who can not get the JG/KM years cleared out of your minds.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its pretty simple, the Jets do not let plays go behind them (see Bills game) they rely on you to sustain drives with short plays and first downs betting you will miss a play or get penalty and stall out..... Dallas drove the ball, ate the clock and scored..if this continues teams will start creeping up to stop the yards AND THEN you will see the top taken off a defense. If the offense can sustain drives and score and your offense can not thats called a winning game plan for those of you who can not get the JG/KM years cleared out of your minds.
And the jets D is loaded. With Sauce Gardner, DJ Reed, Quinnen Williams, and CJ Moseley, the jets D is pretty salty. I felt like Big Mac and Dak just took what a really good defense gave them.

RoboQB

Reaction score
The current level of the Cowboys defense:

2000 Ravens
1985 Bears
1979 Steelers

Basically, 17 points from the offense guarantees a win.
Just don't turn the ball over. Don't throw possible pick-6 passes like
the one "Sauce" should've made.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The late Raiders owner Al Davis uttered perhaps the most succinct truth in NFL history: “Just win baby.”

That’s it. That’s sums up everything any of us need to remember about what’s really important in every NFL game- just win. There’s no swimsuit competition or “Miss Congeniality“ points in NFL games. Just wins and losses. That’s it. Win with 5 FGs and 2 TDs as we did today or win 2-0 on a late safety. Just win.

Yet it so common after a win to look closely and decide that it should have been better. Our Cowboys just beat a really good jets defense 30-10 but to some it wasn’t impressive enough. That’s ok. That’s what we as fans often do and certainly what the sports media machine does with their silly “power rankings” each week. It’s their version of an NFL beauty contest.

So here are some interesting thoughts about winning with FGs:
  • The niners beat us last year in the divisional round 19-12 with 4 FGs and 1 TD. It was ugly but they advanced and we didn’t.
  • Turns out “winning ugly” happens a ton in the playoffs
    • Since 2018, a whopping 11 playoff games were won by teams who had 4 or more FGs and 2 or less TDs.
    • In the 2021 AFC championship game, the Bengals beat the Chiefs scoring 4 FGs. Somehow that meant they won.
    • In the 2021 NFC championship game, the Bucs beat the pack scoring 4 FGs and eventually win the SB vs the bengals.
  • In the playoffs, you are often playing great defenses. Just score. Just win.
Bottom line: JUST WIN BABY. IT WORKS.
Playoffs means the talent is a lot more even. That’s when coaching comes into play. You get all the points you can. 3’s or 7,s. No such thing as ugly. It’s a W or a L..