Twitter: Wins Are All That Matters

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
3 years of on-the-job training. I will repeat this is the year we will truly know what we have in a quarterback. I would sign him just for what he has shown us already the playoffs twice in three seasons. I can only imagine when he really learns how to read an NFL defense. When is Instinct totally take over and he no longer has to take time to contemplate his thought process.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it better to look good losing or look bad winning?

Look bad winning, of course.

I don't get the dislike for Dak at all. He plays smart, takes care of the football, is clutch, and makes plays when they're needed. He's not elite, but he's pretty good and getting better, so he's got upside. And he's a really strong leader.

I get not wanting to pay him top-5 QB money, even with the payout cycles for QBs. But I'm not convinced he'll get top-5 money. He'll end up with a deal that averages him probably top-10 compensation over the course of a ten year NFL career or so. Pretty much what he ought to make when it's all said and done.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is so nonsensical all I can do is laugh at it. Dak is not elite and may not be as good as we would like, but a team cannot win games the way the Cowboys have the last 3 years if the player responsible for the on field decisions and who handles the ball every play has no trait that helps lead to wins and has no positive impact on the team.

Some, like you, ridiculously act as if Dak doesn’t even have the minimum talent level to start for an NFL team. Again, he may not be the ideal guy, but look around the NFL - at minimum there are 12-15 NFL starters below Dak, and I personally would argue that number is higher.

It seems fans think a player is either elite, or terrible, and that kind of inability to see anything but extremes makes a persons opinion worthless
Our QB is definitely middle of the road to just above. Nothing wrong with that unless you pay him Top 5 money.

We obviously can win with Dakster as he provides some intangible assets. How much success is yet to be seen.

Shame on some of us for wanting one of the more Elite QB’s in the league .

We’d all want one of the more Elite HC’s, defenses ,etc also but no one getting personally bashed for criticizing them.

No, the criticism is valid on our QB. We just have some overly sensitive fans Slobbering over him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Our QB is definitely middle of the road to just above. Nothing wrong with that unless you pay him Top 5 money.

We obviously can win with Dakster as he provides some intangible assets. How much success is yet to be seen.

Shame on some of us for wanting one of the more Elite QB’s in the league .

We’d all want one of the more Elite HC’s, defenses ,etc also but no one getting personally bashed for criticizing them.

No, the criticism is valid on our QB. We just have some overly sensitive fans Slobbering over our QB.
Some of it is, some of it is simply nitpicking, some of it is outright lying.

As per usual, the extremes on both sides are incorrect.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some of it is, some of it is simply nitpicking, some of it is outright lying.

As per usual, the extremes on both sides are incorrect.
We nick pick every other particular of Cowboys Football. Why not the QB too? Just saying...

We saw the same issue with Romo for 10 years. The QB is for some reason “ off limits” to critique for a segment of defensive or overly Homerish fans.

I think most recognize the extremes on both sides. I try to ignore them. The rest have more validity but they instead choose to stay away from discussion for fear of being labeled Haters.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Look bad winning, of course.

I don't get the dislike for Dak at all. He plays smart, takes care of the football, is clutch, and makes plays when they're needed. He's not elite, but he's pretty good and getting better, so he's got upside. And he's a really strong leader.

I get not wanting to pay him top-5 QB money, even with the payout cycles for QBs. But I'm not convinced he'll get top-5 money. He'll end up with a deal that averages him probably top-10 compensation over the course of a ten year NFL career or so. Pretty much what he ought to make when it's all said and done.
Very reasonable evaluation here. One Id mostly agree with. But we have those that believe or feel Top 5 money is justified.

For some reason there is a segment which can’t handle the criticism attached to the QB position. Which you totally left out any criticism here which critics amplify on when met with the more Homerish type fans.

The QB should be fair game just like the owner, HC, etc.

kskboys

Reaction score
We nick pick every other particular of Cowboys Football. Why not the QB too? Just saying...

We saw the same issue with Romo for 10 years. The QB is for some reason “ off limits” to critique for a segment of defensive or overly Homerish fans.

I think most recognize the extremes on both sides. I try to ignore them. The rest have more validity but they instead choose to stay away from discussion for fear of being labeled Haters.
No, we stay away because any discussion over the Qb quickly becomes childish w/ many personal attacks and utterly foolish statements. You can't argue/discuss w/ someone who has a terrible take on the subject matter and just repeats their little falsehood ad nauseum. The extremes take over any thread about Dak and it makes it impossible to have a decent convo.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, we stay away because any discussion over the Qb quickly becomes childish w/ many personal attacks and utterly foolish statements. You can't argue/discuss w/ someone who has a terrible take on the subject matter and just repeats their little falsehood ad nauseum. The extremes take over any thread about Dak and it makes it impossible to have a decent convo.
I understand . It usually is the case. But I refuse to let them dominate the conversation. I get it if others bow out.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But one could argue Dak’s 1.6 more wins than Rivers is more team oriented than QB oriented. Because you could easily argue Rivers is as good, if not a better, QB than Dak.
Sure that could be argued, and it also could be argued that Rivers had a HOF RB a lot of his career and often had better defenses.

And clearly Tebow’s wining could be viewed as team oriented.

In the end, there is no way to make it a perfect apples to apples comparison.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with parts of your post, and disagree with others, however, I think one thing needs to be universal and is way beyond simple opinion.

The "handles the ball every play" routine needs to die a painful death already. It's not an argument. Taking a snap, turning around and giving the ball to someone else is not a great skill that QBs should be awarded brownie points for. The Center also handles the ball every play.

What I, and I expect most people mean with the "handles the ball every play" comment goes well beyond what you are talking about. When you handle the ball every play you have choices that no other player has. You have to make decisions every play - reading the defense, calling an audible, or not, and making the choices that result in getting the ball to the right people in the right situations. And all of that is before the ball is even snapped. After that he has to sell fakes, and run the ball effectively, and complete passes - the execution part.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
What I, and I expect most people mean with the "handles the ball every play" comment goes well beyond what you are talking about. When you handle the ball every play you have choices that no other player has. You have to make decisions every play - reading the defense, calling an audible, or not, and making the choices that result in getting the ball to the right people in the right situations. And all of that is before the ball is even snapped. After that he has to sell fakes, and run the ball effectively, and complete passes - the execution part.

But a lot of that doesn't happen for a lot of (if any) QBs on every play, and not very often for many (when not a pass play), particularly younger QBs. And those things are often mentioned separately (as in your post - "responsible for the on field decisions"). Other players also have to make reads, so it's not limited to the QB.

It's simply a way to prop up the QBs above their already elevated position.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sure that could be argued, and it also could be argued that Rivers had a HOF RB a lot of his career and often had better defenses.

And clearly Tebow’s wining could be viewed as team oriented.

In the end, there is no way to make it a perfect apples to apples comparison.

Dak has certainly not had a lack of talent around him on offense either. So trying to float that boat is silly. In fact, we've seen that he's only really been able to perform at a high level when everything else around him is working. When things fell apart, such as 2017, he regressed quite a bit.

Further, Rivers only played with Tomlinson for 4 years out of the 13 he was the starter in San Diego. He's put up numbers long after Tomlinson bolted for the Jets and then retirement.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Funny how wins isn’t stirring up support for Garrett having the 2nd most wins in Cowboy history.

And Romo had a good winning percentage but choked in the cleverly created category “ losing in go home games” lol.

But we are using regular season team success to prop up our current QB. No agendas in this forum. Lmao
Second most wins means nothing when you have new coaches every few years.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak has certainly not had a lack of talent around him on offense either. So trying to float that boat is silly. In fact, we've seen that he's only really been able to perform at a high level when everything else around him is working. When things fell apart, such as 2017, he regressed quite a bit.

Further, Rivers only played with Tomlinson for 4 years out of the 13 he was the starter in San Diego. He's put up numbers long after Tomlinson bolted for the Jets and then retirement.
The thing that kills me about the ‘talent’ Dak has. Zeke for sure is a phenomenal talent. But all I hear about is how Garrett sucks, Witten was over the hill, Dez sucks and now I’m hearing Beasley sucks........it’s hard to see Dak even winning 5 games with all of that suckage.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

First, remember that the OP didn't talk about the surrounding talent, he was only trying dispel the idea that winning percentage matters by saying Rivers and Tebow also had high winning percentages. So that was the context I was responding in, and therefor it was appropriate to point out those guys still had notably lower winning percentages than Dak.

And remember that I said from the beginning that I agree winning % isn't the only thing to look at with a QB, but in the effort to dispel that, that the argument the OP used actually worked against him.

And, again, there is no way to make a perfectly apples to apples comparison, and I'm not claiming Dak has suffered from a lack of talent, I'm only saying that if a person is going to argue that other QBs have also had a good winning %, that person also has to be willing to accept that Dak's winning % is notably better and that those QBs had talent around them too.

Fair point about Tomlinson - I thought Rivers had him longer than that. But Rivers really didn't suffer from a lack of talent after Tomlinson either. He had a strong RB combo of Tolbert, Mathews and Sproles, and now has Melvin Gordon, and he has had receivers like Keenan Allen, Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates, who may be the best TE to ever play outside of Tony Gonzales.

Last edited: