Winston Justice...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
K-Mart said:
We haven't won anything yet... we can't just take the BPA and call it a draft... He has to start right away and make an impact.... Give me Jimmy Williams after sliding and call it a day.

Jimmy Williams is gonna slide right on down way past 18...

David

ravidubey

Reaction score
Dallas has a serious need to add blue-chip talent to the OL on offense and the front seven on defense. A WR or FS will help the Cowboys, but will not provide the impact that I believe Parcells is looking for in what may be his last year here. We need inexpensive/young players at both of those positions, but we need the above impact before all else.

Dallas' OL kept the team out of the playoffs, maybe even out of the Superbowl. We've addressed the OL to a major degree in FA, adding a young starting guard, a young starting RT in 2005, and an experienced RT in 2006 FA.

We don't have a starting SOLB right now that can make an impact, nor do we have a proven NT that can play a full season. If Dallas is going to improve its run defense and pass rush, look to SOLB and NT in the 1st round.

btcutter

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
your banking on Adams being 100% and having no set backs? Fabini, who's older than Adams being 100%? Pettiti to show any real improvement, enough to even be at an AVERAGE level?

me, I'm not...while Justice isnt a sexy pick, he is an excellent talent at a position we were just dreadful at last yr (and have been pretty much for a few years)...as much as everyone blames the kicker for not making the playoffs, maybe had our two tackles not yielded 26 sacks and countless zero or loss runs, we'd have made the playoffs anyway

David

I was just going to post exactly that! great minds think alike:D

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Jimmy Williams is gonna slide right on down way past 18...

David

It's too hard to say right now. I say if we sign Coleman in FA, then he will slide by us. If not, and Williams is there, we may take him.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Its either doom or gloom or its all roses with people here.
Fabini should be ok; Kosier should be adequate. RIvera should be better.
The Hotel should be recovered. ALL in ALL- our line should be decent at worst; good at best. Sufficient more then likely.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki said:
Whoever is drafted at #18 has to be able to start...

So no offensive lineman will be selected.

God, I hope not.
It'd be nice if we get a value and a starter with the same pick, but, if we only get one, we better go with value.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I think we'll trade down a few spots and pick Carpenter, he seems to be a Parcells guy at a position of need, maybe OL in 2nd.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd take Justice in a second. With no hesitation whatsoever. I think he'll prove to be a franchise LT and ultimately a better pro than Ferguson. And, given that kicker has been addressed, what was the second biggest downfall of the 2005 Cowboys? The tackle position. So I would do everything I could to ensure that 2006 did not see a repeat. And Dallas is long overdue in making a serious investment in a quality offensive line in my opinion.

I hope he's there.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
juckie said:
is the type of lineman that makes teams win.He is extremely athletic and powerful.I think we should get him.He wants to play for Dallas as well.This would be nice,not these uncoordinated lineman like Pe-titty and Al Johnson.:D
He also gets arrested with prostitutes and brandishes fake firearms.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I think Justice also solicited a prostitute.. But I have no problem with that sin. :)

DallasKen

Reaction score
Do you guys think Offensive Line is the riskiest position to draft in the first round? I do.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
those for taking Justice, or any OT at 18, here's a question for you...

we haven't drafted an OT in the 1st round since what? '83? why is that going to change this year when Flozell is locked in at LT, and we're always apprehensive of starting a rookie at the QB's blindside, when we just signed Fabini to start at RT for a short while, while Pettiti, who by the way, Parcells said he would die before he sees him fail, sits behind him? and PLUS! this OT class isn't graded out as highly as it was going into the '05 season

in conclusion...I just don't see it happening, maybe 2nd day

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DallasKen said:
Do you guys think Offensive Line is the riskiest position to draft in the first round? I do.

exactly, OT is one of the hardest positions, 2nd to QB IMO, to transition to, college to the pros...

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

we haven't drafted an OT in the 1st round since what? '83? why is that going to change this year when Flozell is locked in at LT, and we're always apprehensive of starting a rookie at the QB's blindside, when we just signed Fabini to start at RT for a short while, while Pettiti, who by the way, Parcells said he would die before he sees him fail, sits behind him? and PLUS! this OT class isn't graded out as highly as it was going into the '05 season

That is exactly WHY we take one now. Give him some time to get ready and learn from Flo how to play the position. we need to take a tackle early, 1st or 2nd round. I wouldn't mind at all if Mcneal dropped and we could get him in the second. that would be a steal. I doubt it though. But this guy is a monster and ran a 5.0 40 at 320lbs. And for those of you worried about his back, don't be. He has played his whole life with that condition and it has never effected him, no reason to worry about it now. He does get alittle high on his run blocking,, but he is super strong and very quick and knows how to use leverage. I would take him at 18,,but if he is around in the 2nd when we pick,, we would be foolish not to grab him.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
DallasKen said:

no, QB is...not even close either IMO

every once in awhile you get a concensus TRUE franchise calibar QB like an Elway or an Aikman who are clearly worth the investment because they are obviously once a decade type players, but more often than not QB is a crapshoot

IMO the next tremendous talent to be the #1 overall at QB will be Brady Quinn...if he stays healthy and continues the improvement under Chalie Weis he will be a 5 star QB prospect...and he wont take alot of time to make an impact on the field in the NFL either, because his offense at Notre Dame is so advanced and his HC is so good

David

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
You have to be careful with McNeill - has had some back problems. I would not draft him in the first.

Spoken like a true doctor. I totally agree. You need to be careful drafting guys with medical issues early. LaFleur and Rogers come to mind. Broken bones are one thing (they typically heal well), but when people have had surgeries or have chronic conditions like a bad back - buyer beware! I think we take a stud OLB with the first pick and look at OL or safety in the 2nd

VACowboy

Reaction score
I was touting Justice months ago when someone jumped on me, saying "JACOB ROGERS WAS TEN TIMES THE PLAYER AT USC THAT WINSTON JUSTICE IS!! Blah blah blah." Anyone else feel this way?

hendog

Reaction score
I say we trade down in the first for a 3rd

1- Carpenter or Lawson

2 -Pat Watkins or Donte Whitner

3 - Jon Scott or Andrew Whitworth

3 - Duece Latui or Charles Spencer

or

1 - Carp or Lawson

2 - Eric Winston or Marcus Mcneil

3 - Anthony Smith

3 - Maurice Stovall or Travis Wilson

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
summerisfunner said:

Don't you think it's about time that the Cowboys did draft one in the first round? It's time to make a solid investment in solidifying the offensive line now and for the years to come.

Adams is coming back from a serious knee injury. Hopefully he's 100%. Fabini is a solid pro, also returning from injury. My worst fear is that if these players are injured or less than 100%, the Cowboys are back where they were last season, despite all of their other improvements.

Looking at the league's best Left Tackles, almost all of them were first round draft picks. You get what you pay for at that position. Also notice that when a team gets a great one, they make sure they don't let them get away.

It's my belief that Winston Justice has the potential to be a franchise NFL Left Tackle and will ultimately be a better pro than Ferguson.

:starspin

ghst187

Reaction score
stasheroo said:
Don't you think it's about time that the Cowboys did draft one in the first round? It's time to make a solid investment in solidifying the offensive line now and for the years to come.
:starspin

I actually think we need another G more than a T. We got Kosier at LG but Rivera at RG is ancient and didn't get it done last year. Who is backing those guys up? Gurode? Peterman? We have more depth at T than we do at G.
There are a ton of good guards in this draft and there will be great ones in the second and third rounds.
Sure we could use a T, but he'd be backing up Flo on the left most likely. I think BP is committed to Pettiti developing on the right and Fabini will undoubtedly start there.
Who knows what we have in Colombo, he very well could be something too.