With most dysfunctional ownership Cowboys amazingly field a playoff caliber team

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not trying to deflect the frustration and disappointment.I feel it too. But a different perspective could at least put this all into a better understanding of how we arrived here and what our franchise has become. It also could explain the idiotic decisions we make despite most more normal responses and actions you’d expect.

No other fans this era would want an owner like ours who meddles and undermines the coaching staff not to mention his intent to be the face of the franchise playing out his dream of being a celebrity football guy.

30 other NFL teams follow a more organized and professional type of front office and management which allows for a more accountable stream which places them in a greater opportunity for success.

Amazingly many of these other franchises with normal protocols in place don’t have as much or anymore success than our dysfunctional situation. But at least they have a greater opportunity of finally obtaining the right people in mgmt and coaching to steer in a better direction.

The fact that we can even field a competitive team which can contend for playoffs is amazing considering. You’d think we’d be more of a bottom feeder consistently. But our owner who wears both hats of an owner and GM often has a conflict of interest placing his own personal agendas ahead of what’s ultimately best for Cowboys Football.

In his own words years ago said he’d fire a GM with his record . More recently said that remaining relevant and interesting was utmost priority to maintain the revenue stream. While he’d still like to win and have more success hes not willing to step aside to allow someone else to receive more credit. Basically he’s not interested in winning if he’s not the man running the show. It’s fundamental narcissistic symptoms.

He’s left with one major hurdle. To plead and sell the fans he’s doing everything possible with of course exception of standing down and then to build enough stars to hype hope for the fans.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m not trying to deflect the frustration and disappointment.I feel it too. But a different perspective could at least put this all into a better understanding of how we arrived here and what our franchise has become. It also could explain the idiotic decisions we make despite most more normal responses and actions you’d expect.

No other fans this era would want an owner like ours who meddles and undermines the coaching staff not to mention his intent to be the face of the franchise playing out his dream of being a celebrity football guy.

30 other NFL teams follow a more organized and professional type of front office and management which allows for a more accountable stream which places them in a greater opportunity for success.

Amazingly many of these other franchises with normal protocols in place don’t have as much or anymore success than our dysfunctional situation. But at least they have a greater opportunity of finally obtaining the right people in mgmt and coaching to steer in a better direction.

The fact that we can even field a competitive team which can contend for playoffs is amazing considering. You’d think we’d be more of a bottom feeder consistently. But our owner who wears both hats of an owner and GM often has a conflict of interest placing his own personal agendas ahead of what’s ultimately best for Cowboys Football.

In his own words years ago said he’d fire a GM with his record . More recently said that remaining relevant and interesting was utmost priority to maintain the revenue stream. While he’d still like to win and have more success hes not willing to step aside to allow someone else to receive more credit. Basically he’s not interested in winning if he’s not the man running the show. It’s fundamental narcissistic symptoms.

He’s left with one major hurdle. To plead and sell the fans he’s doing everything possible with of course exception of standing down and then to build enough stars to hype hope for the fans.
Will McClay regularly drafts good enough players to overcome Jerry and the coaching staff's incompetence to a degree.

The problem lies in managing to beat other teams with good players. In order to do that you need good culture and coaching staff or truly transcendent player talents. Dallas doesn't have any of that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So many fans identify the Cowboys with championship pedigree but that’s far in the past. We are anything but that this era. We aren’t even making every effort to reach that goal.

We are only the once proud franchise most of us used to identify with. Only in name. As we used to be one of the most respected and well run franchises. A model for the league. Now no one is following our model anymore.

Jethro Jone$ has lowered the bar this era still riding on fumes Jimmy Johnson built for him or he would have already been ran out of town.

He’s still the most hated sport’s personality in DFW area and North Texas while our Cowboys are most loved. It’s a love/hate relationship.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
There will come a time where Jerry will have to step down more than likely for health reasons. Then Stephen will take over and i think this is a bad thing...........

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There will come a time where Jerry will have to step down more than likely for health reasons. Then Stephen will take over and i think this is a bad thing...........
Anything is possible . But he hasn’t exhibited a need for the celebrity status his father pursued. Plus he won’t be able to fly alone without accountability with siblings able to check him.

Unless Stephen is in a position to buy out his siblings assuming they’d want to sell I’d expect Daddy to leave it evenly distributed. All 3 siblings are Executive VP’s.

I could see them naming Stephen President but not GM. And then name Will VP in Stephen’s position. And then name a GM.

The siblings would need someone outside the family to hold directly accountable.

My greatest hope is the siblings could have a feud or disagreement and sell out. But it’s probably more likely the other scenario. Which wouldn’t necessarily translate to more success like other teams who operate normally.

yentl911

Reaction score
Yeah, I am sure I will get blasted - The organization is solid and has solid people in it and running it. There is no one that wants to win more than Jerry. I am super pissed about the playoff loss as well - I thought we would boat race the Packers - Things just never seem to all line up at the right time.

They draft well, they manage the cap well. People destroy JJ on here but the guys that know him or have worked for him all rave about him. All the way to Parcells.

We need to get better on the field, and we need to get tougher. This is a weak team. Need an edge to them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro has always believed it’s been his leadership promoting his brand to the public and fans which has enabled him to continue his ways without more success this era on the field.

And to a certain degree he’s been right. The revolutionary revenue streams he sued the NFL to gain stadium rights has been tremendous not only for the Cowboys but throughout the league. It’s why he was inducted to HOF for his Contributions.

And he continues to promote and add new partnerships highlighting his brand.

It’s a shame . He could have been one of the greatest owners in NFL history if he’d just let go. But after following him closely all of these years, which I was about as close as a fan could be in those early years meeting him several times on the Cowboys Travel Club and Training Camps.

I’ve come to the conclusion he set all of these revenue streams in motion so his involvement and interference in football operations and any lack of success or fallout with the team success wouldn’t impact revenue. I’d say he achieved everything he set out to do having time of his life all at our expense. Brilliant!!

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Yeah, I am sure I will get blasted - The organization is solid and has solid people in it and running it. There is no one that wants to win more than Jerry. I am super pissed about the playoff loss as well - I thought we would boat race the Packers - Things just never seem to all line up at the right time.

They draft well, they manage the cap well. People destroy JJ on here but the guys that know him or have worked for him all rave about him. All the way to Parcells.

We need to get better on the field, and we need to get tougher. This is a weak team. Need an edge to them.
:laugh: 28 years and counting. Keep telling yourself the clownshow is "solid". The playoffs don't lie. They eventually expose every flaw. Jones only cares about Jerry Jones and his pocketbook. If he cared about winning, he'd have cleaned house, himself included.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yes, but he only wants to win his way.

Basically he’s not interested in winning if he’s not involved. That’s what the core of his fallout with Jimmy who received all of the football credit.

It wasn’t enough to have the success. He wanted to be a part of it. All goes back to his intent of being a celebrity football guy. Not just an owner.

And those things we are missing comes down to the culture created by our owner. Yes, they love working for him cause he runs the team thru the eyes of a fan.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I said from Day 1 that we would tolerate an owner like him if we had success. And initially he hired a HC and let him run football operations while he ran the business side. it was a great combination. Perhaps one of the greatest ever in NFL.

And early on despite our concerns we thought it might work out better than we initially thought. The times I ran into him he was always cordial and appreciated our support traveling with the team.

It wasn’t until we had the success and he didn’t receive credit for the football success that problems begun. It wasn’t enough for hiring the right guy. Everything changed at that moment. And it’s become all about him proving he’s a football guy. And what a mess it’s been for fans.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I suppose there’s always a glimmer of hope we might return to glory but half of my lifetime has been wasted on this old fool ruining my favorite team.

Toro9

Reaction score
Let's stop acting like we're the GD Jets, here. Enjoy the wins and endure the losses. Such is life, my friends. Like people like to say, This isn't Madden.

bewp7

Reaction score
yeah that is ahy it is annoying

cowboys win every single game in spite of mccarthy never EVER because of him out coaching or out scheming or out smrting the other team

that work against the daniel jones or tommy devito giants but it do not work in the plyoffs against shanahan or any other good smart coach

cowboys win on talent alone and if they had a real coach i think they can win even with dak and his contract drgging them down

but jerry want to waste another season with a fat bozo who could not get his team or him self to even show up for a PLAYOFF game

it is a joke

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let's stop acting like we're the GD Jets, here. Enjoy the wins and endure the losses. Such is life, my friends. Like people like to say, This isn't Madden.
Actually it’s amazing with our ownership we aren’t more like the Jets, Browns or Lions this era.

But at least with normal ownership they have a greater opportunity of finally getting it right.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
yeah that is ahy it is annoying

cowboys win every single game in spite of mccarthy never EVER because of him out coaching or out scheming or out smrting the other team

that work against the daniel jones or tommy devito giants but it do not work in the plyoffs against shanahan or any other good smart coach

cowboys win on talent alone and if they had a real coach i think they can win even with dak and his contract drgging them down

but jerry want to waste another season with a fat bozo who could not get his team or him self to even show up for a PLAYOFF game

it is a joke
Yea, I thought thats why we got rid of Garrett for wasting talent.

RonWashington

Reaction score
7-1 against the NFCE and Jets & NE . That leaves you at 5-4 against the rest of the schedule . It’s a mirage .

As to McClay usually blue chip hits on round one as in Parsons and Tyler Smith but the water really gets murky when you see Sam Williams Jalen Tolbert Schoonmaker no real use out of Ball Waletzco what does Dallas have in Mazi Smith and Damone Clark . A swing and a miss on Kelvin Joseph Nashon Wright Jabril Cox and Devin Harper .

If the Giants and DC Commodes weren’t so inept yr after year 12-5 starts looking more like 9-8 Jason G territory .

rambo2

Reaction score
Actually it’s amazing with our ownership we aren’t more like the Jets, Browns or Lions this era.

But at least with normal ownership they have a greater opportunity of finally getting it right.
Normal ownership doesn't have as many championships as the Cowboys. A lot of them have none.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Normal ownership doesn't have as many championships as the Cowboys. A lot of them have none.
This ownership doesn’t have any championships this era.

That was all with Jimmys team that he built when he had complete control over football operations. Please keep up. Lol

rambo2

Reaction score
This ownership doesn’t have any championships this era.

That was all with Jimmys team that he built when he had complete control over football operations. Please keep up. Lol
You have to give Jerry credit.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
You mentioned that Jerry was one of 2 owners...i.e., 30 other teams are run the right way...who were you thinking of as the other team? Panthers? Vegas? Washington?