With most dysfunctional ownership Cowboys amazingly field a playoff caliber team

JBS

Reaction score
When you realize that their primary objective is to remain relevant every season and not to win super bowls. You will realize that they’re truly not that dysfunctional. Their objectives are just different than ours. They’re great at what they want to accomplish. They suck at what we want to accomplish. And don’t take my word for it, this comes straight from them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You have to give Jerry credit.
I give him credit for hiring Jimmy. Best decision he ever made.

And he gets credit for all the crap since as well.

But I don’t him a pass for life for one great decision.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When you realize that their primary objective is to remain relevant every season and not to win super bowls. You will realize that they’re truly not that dysfunctional. Their objectives are just different than ours. They’re great at what they want to accomplish. They suck at what we want to accomplish. And don’t take my word for it, this comes straight from them.
Good point. They are great at their objective. I mentioned this in my way. Called him brilliant.

Beaker42

Reaction score
You call Sunday’s “team” “playoff-caliber”???

Good grief

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You mentioned that Jerry was one of 2 owners...i.e., 30 other teams are run the right way...who were you thinking of as the other team? Panthers? Vegas? Washington?
Actually the Bengals are only other NFL team in which the owner also serves as GM.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Actually the Bengals are only other NFL team in which the owner also serves as GM.
That was why I was interested in knowing who the other team was... is utter the dysfunctional ownership or the front office structure that was the qualifier.

Because all of those teams i mentioned have some level of dysfunction.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will McClay regularly drafts good enough players to overcome Jerry and the coaching staff's incompetence to a degree.

The problem lies in managing to beat other teams with good players. In order to do that you need good culture and coaching staff or truly transcendent player talents. Dallas doesn't have any of that.
I think the initial problem with roster building lies in the decision-making process itself. Jerry Jones has the final approval in any acquisition. It is also extremely unlikely he communicates a 'just find anyone and I will okay it' message to everyone assessing players to acquire for him. He does have his own opinions on quality players and he is NOT a person who does not express his personal opinions.

Business 101 instructs change is necessary if goals are not achieved. Change is also needed with the ultimate decision maker if all other process levels have been addressed in advance without success.

Giving Will McClay sole authority over roster building is not a pre-determined successful change. He could fail, just like other true GMs have failed. He could also succeed.

Eliminate Jones from roster decisions. Give complete autonomy to McClay. Ultimately, the roster will be composed of players by decisions that were not expressly or implied by Jones' opinion. That roster will either be less than the present one or better. Competent. Competitive.

All said, removing Jones from roster decision-making is the first mountain. The next Mount Everett is motivating Jones to conduct a wide job search for a qualified, independent thinking head coach, pick the best from the lot, extend total autonomy for constructing a staff, and sitting back and evaluating realistic expected results within a three-year timeframe.

/dream of Jones doing something appropriate and atypical

Brax

Reaction score
Will McClay regularly drafts good enough players to overcome Jerry and the coaching staff's incompetence to a degree.

The problem lies in managing to beat other teams with good players. In order to do that you need good culture and coaching staff or truly transcendent player talents. Dallas doesn't have any of that.
McCray sucks and is a yes man and doesn’t go elsewhere because he knows he won’t get a pass for yearly poor drafting and he may actually have to earn his way based on results.

Brax

Reaction score
I’m not trying to deflect the frustration and disappointment.I feel it too. But a different perspective could at least put this all into a better understanding of how we arrived here and what our franchise has become. It also could explain the idiotic decisions we make despite most more normal responses and actions you’d expect.

No other fans this era would want an owner like ours who meddles and undermines the coaching staff not to mention his intent to be the face of the franchise playing out his dream of being a celebrity football guy.

30 other NFL teams follow a more organized and professional type of front office and management which allows for a more accountable stream which places them in a greater opportunity for success.

Amazingly many of these other franchises with normal protocols in place don’t have as much or anymore success than our dysfunctional situation. But at least they have a greater opportunity of finally obtaining the right people in mgmt and coaching to steer in a better direction.

The fact that we can even field a competitive team which can contend for playoffs is amazing considering. You’d think we’d be more of a bottom feeder consistently. But our owner who wears both hats of an owner and GM often has a conflict of interest placing his own personal agendas ahead of what’s ultimately best for Cowboys Football.

In his own words years ago said he’d fire a GM with his record . More recently said that remaining relevant and interesting was utmost priority to maintain the revenue stream. While he’d still like to win and have more success hes not willing to step aside to allow someone else to receive more credit. Basically he’s not interested in winning if he’s not the man running the show. It’s fundamental narcissistic symptoms.

He’s left with one major hurdle. To plead and sell the fans he’s doing everything possible with of course exception of standing down and then to build enough stars to hype hope for the fans.
Every owner has a right to run their team/business the way they want to. Jerry’s business model is very successful and that shows in the bottom line. The business model is simple keep the team in the news cycle, talk good or bad sells. Winning is secondary to monetary gains and Jerry being a talking point and getting credit is paramount to the organization. A losing season with record breaking profits is a successful season. Last but not least is hire only sycophantic managers and family members for important positions who’s sole function is to make sure Jerry gets credit for everything and they get paid well for doing it

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
McCray sucks and is a yes man and doesn’t go elsewhere because he knows he won’t get a pass for yearly poor drafting and he may actually have to earn his way based on results.
I mean, Dallas regularly is near the top of the league in All Pros, all of which were drafted by Will McClay.

Dallas also has the highest conversion rate of draft pick to pro bowler in the entire league at 15%.

Saying Will McClay sucks at his job is factually inaccurate.

75boyz

Reaction score
With Romo and now Prescott the Cowboys lucked into an UDFA/4th rd pick being just good enough to keep the team in the playoff discussion.

So I guess in the big picture Cowboy Way of keeping the team relevant, then Jerry has minimized over the other components of team dysfunction by the regular season success of these 2 QBs.

As with everything else about this whole organization, "Good enough to make the dance but never a genuine contender for the trophy."

The truest sports version of always a bridesmaid never a bride.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Which, by definition, means it is not the most dysfunctional.
It's just not the best...or even top 5

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not trying to deflect the frustration and disappointment.I feel it too. But a different perspective could at least put this all into a better understanding of how we arrived here and what our franchise has become. It also could explain the idiotic decisions we make despite most more normal responses and actions you’d expect.

No other fans this era would want an owner like ours who meddles and undermines the coaching staff not to mention his intent to be the face of the franchise playing out his dream of being a celebrity football guy.

30 other NFL teams follow a more organized and professional type of front office and management which allows for a more accountable stream which places them in a greater opportunity for success.

Amazingly many of these other franchises with normal protocols in place don’t have as much or anymore success than our dysfunctional situation. But at least they have a greater opportunity of finally obtaining the right people in mgmt and coaching to steer in a better direction.

The fact that we can even field a competitive team which can contend for playoffs is amazing considering. You’d think we’d be more of a bottom feeder consistently. But our owner who wears both hats of an owner and GM often has a conflict of interest placing his own personal agendas ahead of what’s ultimately best for Cowboys Football.

In his own words years ago said he’d fire a GM with his record . More recently said that remaining relevant and interesting was utmost priority to maintain the revenue stream. While he’d still like to win and have more success hes not willing to step aside to allow someone else to receive more credit. Basically he’s not interested in winning if he’s not the man running the show. It’s fundamental narcissistic symptoms.

He’s left with one major hurdle. To plead and sell the fans he’s doing everything possible with of course exception of standing down and then to build enough stars to hype hope for the fans.
Is this a Joke?
Look and see how many teams we played that had a losing record when we faced them
LOOK..................Bow wow is pretty much all we can beat.
Also don't forget how the refs pushed us and the Eagles self-imploded.
This was the weakest NFC in 30 years and what did we do???
Get blown out by the 7th seed!!!
Keep your Dog wins and how about we get a leader in there to win some playoff games and maybe a SB????

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I laugh when they scream the tales of McClay's greatness.
Correctly stated another YES man in a long line of yes men.
How many picks have we wasted (esp # 2 picks) with Will advising Jerry????
I don't know who's greater than our DB coach Will or our QB????
P.S. Anyone see how wide-open those Packer WRs were?
ANYONE.....................Nahhhhhhh just pushing the agenda daily I might say!

rambo2

Reaction score
They have 9 pro bowlers. How about doing a little research.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is this a Joke?
Look and see how many teams we played that had a losing record when we faced them
LOOK..................Bow wow is pretty much all we can beat.
Also don't forget how the refs pushed us and the Eagles self-imploded.
This was the weakest NFC in 30 years and what did we do???
Get blown out by the 7th seed!!!
Keep your Dog wins and how about we get a leader in there to win some playoff games and maybe a SB????
Obviously you didn’t read all my post in this thread.

Brax

Reaction score
They have 9 pro bowlers. How about doing a little research.
48-16 how about those pro bowlers. Look at those drafts how many were what was left not what was wanted, you football lazy fans are clueless.

rambo2

Reaction score
48-16 how about those pro bowlers. Look at those drafts how many were what was left not what was wanted, you football lazy fans are clueless.
It's a fact that the Cowboys have drafted very well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's a fact that the Cowboys have drafted very well.
They have at some positions which has built the core of the roster. But they’ve also had some major bust and risky decisions most notably on defense .

And those could explain our weaknesses on this roster which are preventing this team from more success against better teams and in the playoffs.