Witten contract is in: 1 yr, $3.5mn

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
So he's paid like a bottom end starter for one season - is that really a problem?

I’m responding to the assertion that it’s a great deal. Whether it’s a problem or not is a different question, which you and I have been over though we couldn’t find resolution. Problem or not, however, it’s decidedly NOT a great deal.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
So he's paid like a bottom end starter for one season - is that really a problem?
Barely even paid as a salary.

Assuming a salary cap of 190mn (likely will be closer to ~195mn) - 190 / 53 = $3.65; meaning on an average basis, he isn't making the amount of money pegged to a single roster spot. Starters inherently are paid a premium, he is paid below the raw average. This is about as good of a deal as possible. Swaim probably would've cost us at least 3.5-4mn a season on a 3 year contract.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Yep

Heck, we're paying Hurns $6mn this season.

No rational reason people should be upset by this. Lets Jarwin and Schultz learn from Witten for a year, if neither emerges, address TE in the 2020 draft. Immediately an upgrade in blocking and receiving. All around A+++ move at $3.5mn
No way we pay Hurns that 6m

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I’m responding to the assertion that it’s a great deal. Whether it’s a problem or not is a different question, which you and I have been over though we couldn’t find resolution. Problem or not, however, it’s decidedly NOT a great deal.
Repeat post for relevance -

Assuming a salary cap of 190mn (likely will be closer to ~195mn) - 190 / 53 = $3.65; meaning on an average basis, he isn't making the amount of money pegged to a single roster spot. Starters inherently are paid a premium, he is paid below the raw average. This is about as good of a deal as possible. Swaim probably would've cost at least 3.5-4mn a season on a 3 year contract.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Repeat post for relevance -

Assuming a salary cap of 190mn (likely will be closer to ~195mn) - 190 / 53 = $3.65; meaning on an average basis, he isn't making the amount of money pegged to a single roster spot. Starters inherently are paid a premium, he is paid below the raw average. This is about as good of a deal as possible. Swaim probably would've cost at least 3.5-4mn a season on a 3 year contract.
He is making more than Jarwin, Schultz and Gather combined

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
He is making more than Jarwin, Schultz and Gather combined
All on rookie deals - none premium picks - makes sense. A vet minimum for 10+ years in the league is north of $1.1mn......

This is a hall-of-famer, arguably the GOAT Cowboy of the 2000's, who is one year removed from a starting season that outproduced all of the above + Swaim in 2017...

Yep, he deserved that $5mn, probably closer to $5.5mn.... $3.5mn is a BARGAIN.

btcutter

Reaction score
All of you guys loving this are gonna hate it when we’re throwing 5 yard passes to Witten half the game.

Yes and no. If it's a 5 yard gain vs a 10 yard sack for loss I take 5 yards all day. But if it's a 5 yard gain instead of slant to Gallup or Cooper then I'd be pissed.

cern

Reaction score
Hurns might not be ready to play for awhile. Bease may be gone. Austin's always one play away from injury. We need someone to catch the ball over the middle. I've rethought my original position and can see where this could work.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
All on rookie deals - none premium picks - makes sense. A vet minimum for 10+ years in the league is north of $1.1mn......

This is a hall-of-famer, arguably the GOAT Cowboy of the 2000's, who is one year removed from a starting season that outproduced all of the above + Swaim in 2017...

A retired 37 year old TV announcer that only wants a ring

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

he was paid 7.4m for 543 yds in 2017

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Not a fan of this wouldn’t be surprised if he gets injured in preseason or retires again. I hear a lot of ex players talking about retirement and say they miss it until Training Camp. Also I’m a strong believer once you retire you are retired you might come back and be somewhat productive but usually a shell of when you left and Jason was already on the down side. To me this is a progress stopper from one of the young guys stepping up or drafting a guy and getting him reps. Loved watching Witten play one on my all time favorite but your time has come and gone.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
A retired 37 year old TV announcer that only wants a ring
he was paid 7.4m for 543 yds in 2017
Again, a HOF TE who is an immediate upgrade in the blocking game BIG TIME. and at his worst, in 2017, would be the top TE on the league relative to 2018 performance of TEs on the roster... for $3.5mn you just upgraded an entire unit, removed the need for a TE this offseason, got out of a long-term contract with Swaim, give Schultz and Jarwin a year to learn under Witten and prove themselves, still have both under contract for 2020, and the ability to upgrade in the 2020 off-season after things with Schultz and Jarwin shake-out....

Honestly, even if Witten produces 400 yards, this is a smart move.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Again, a HOF TE who is an immediate upgrade in the blocking game BIG TIME. and at his worst, in 2017, would be the top TE on the league relative to 2018 performance of TEs on the roster... for $3.5mn you just upgraded an entire unit, removed the need for a TE this offseason, got out of a long-term contract with Swaim, give Schultz and Jarwin a year to learn under Witten and prove themselves, still have both under contract for 2020, and the ability to upgrade in the 2020 off-season after things with Schultz and Jarwin shake-out....

Honestly, even if Witten produces 400 yards, this is a smart move.
his blocking has been down for years

can't put lipstick on this pig

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
his blocking has been down for years

can't put lipstick on this pig
I just can't get through to you, your mind is made up. Yeah, Witten isn't at his peak, but even "down" Witten is better than a large % of TEs in the league. You're talking about an undisputed top 3 TE of all-time, arguably #1. That legacy landed him the best job in the football universe, don't think he is desperate for $, and don't for a second believe he has lost sight of his legacy. To him, he wants that ring, and he wants to solidify his stats to prove he should be considered #1 of all-time at TE. I can't possibly imagine he shows up not ready to give it 100%. I would bet on an up-season, particularly if we lose the comfort zone of Beezy for Dak, and would estimate ~750 yards against 6-7 TDs.

At absolute worst, Witten is a positive veteran locker room presence and a boost in 3rd and short and in the red zone as well as near FG range need 2-6 yards for comfort type plays. That alone is worth the $3.5mn.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Not a fan of this wouldn’t be surprised if he gets injured in preseason or retires again. I hear a lot of ex players talking about retirement and say they miss it until Training Camp. Also I’m a strong believer once you retire you are retired you might come back and be somewhat productive but usually a shell of when you left and Jason was already on the down side. To me this is a progress stopper from one of the young guys stepping up or drafting a guy and getting him reps. Loved watching Witten play one on my all time favorite but your time has come and gone.
His suits were already a little too tight this season..... hard to take that weight off as we age

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
I wouldn’t pay Hurns 6 mil myself but your point is correct
I wouldn’t pay Hurns or Crawford. Neither is worth it. Crawford is making 10 million in 2019 and we’re still looking for the dominate 3-technique he was supposed to be.