Witten contract is in: 1 yr, $3.5mn

timb2

Reaction score
Waste of money. Remember that money vs the cap when we lose a key player in free agency.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
One year deals don’t worry me
It’s the long term deals that you have to fit in when even more guys come up that worry me
Yep

Heck, we're paying Hurns $6mn this season.

No rational reason people should be upset by this. Lets Jarwin and Schultz learn from Witten for a year, if neither emerges, address TE in the 2020 draft. Immediately an upgrade in blocking and receiving. All around A+++ move at $3.5mn

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Still think it's a silly move, even if I love Witten.
Why though? I don't get people who are not loving this move. At 3.5mn it is essentially riskless. We pay Allen Hurns 6mn this season. About 10mn for freaking Tyrone Crawford. Bringing back Swaim wouldn't have cost less than 3.5mn.

Lets Jarwin and Schultz learn from Witten for a year, if neither emerges, address TE in the 2020 draft. Immediately an upgrade in blocking and receiving. All around A+++ move at $3.5mn

conner01

Reaction score
Yep

No rational reason people should be upset by this. Lets Jarwin and Schultz learn from Witten for a year, if neither emerges, address TE in the 2020 draft. Immediately an upgrade in blocking and receiving. All around A+++ move at $3.5mn
I wouldn’t pay Hurns 6 mil myself but your point is correct

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Why though? I don't get people who are not loving this move. At 3.5mn it is essentially riskless. We pay Allen Hurns 6mn this season. About 10mn for freaking Tyrone Crawford. Bringing back Swaim wouldn't have cost less than 3.5mn.

Lets Jarwin and Schultz learn from Witten for a year, if neither emerges, address TE in the 2020 draft. Immediately an upgrade in blocking and receiving. All around A+++ move at $3.5mn

They aren't going to learn from Witten, unless he's changed his approach.

Witten is notorious for taking the Peyton Manning approach, no one else gets a rep and he doesn't coach anyone up at his position because he's top dog and they aren't stealing his job.

If he wanted to teach, he'd have come back as a consultant or coach, not a player.

Plus, I'm still annoyed at him for leaving the team in the lurch the way he did. He certainly wouldn't be coming back if he had killed it in the booth.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score

Witten is notorious for taking the Peyton Manning approach, no one else gets a rep and he doesn't coach anyone up at his position because he's top dog and they aren't stealing his job.

If he wanted to teach, he'd have come back as a consultant or coach, not a player.

Plus, I'm still annoyed at him for leaving the team in the lurch the way he did. He certainly wouldn't be coming back if he had killed it in the booth.
Time will tell, but my assumption is he doesn't want to go the announcing route, and likely wants to go the coaching route as an alternative. It will be very apparent early on if this is the case, if he is putting hours into mentoring Jarwin and Schultz. If he does, I wouldn't be surprised if he joins as TE coach following the 2019 season.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score

Take drink and let it go.

RamziD

Reaction score
All of you guys loving this are gonna hate it when we’re throwing 5 yard passes to Witten half the game.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
There are only 21 TEs in the league with an AAV of greater than $3.5M. So that’s basically starter money. He’s supposed to get roughly 25 snaps per game, so roughly 40% of the snaps on offence. How is that a great deal?

robjay04

Reaction score
Waste of money. Remember that money vs the cap when we lose a key player in free agency.

It’s for one year. It’s not going to cost us anyone. We have plenty of room this year.

We will be more worried about structuring long term deals so we have cap room in future years.

I’ll bet you a pair of season tickets that we will be more than 3.5 million under the cap when the season starts.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep

I don't necessarily know that it is an upgrade in receiving. Of course I expect Witten to have the best hands of the group, but Jarwin is quicker and more athletic and therefore will be an option for routes Witten would be less suited for. In all, I think he will complement Jarwin and Schultz well.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are only 21 TEs in the league with an AAV of greater than $3.5M. So that’s basically starter money. He’s supposed to get roughly 25 snaps per game, so roughly 40% of the snaps on offence. How is that a great deal?

So he's paid like a bottom end starter for one season - is that really a problem?