Witten, Crawford or Lee, Who Makes The Final 53

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My Guess is just Lee. Crawford has young guns at his heels and Witten will re-retire. Maybe it’s wishful thinking.

There is no chance Witten retires before the season. He's way too selfish for that.

There's also little chance his snap count is really going to be limited. He's going to play nearly as much as he ever did.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Highly unlikely that any of the three will remain with the team after this season, so my only wish is that name recognition plays no part in comprising the 2019 squad. It's a what have you done for me lately league, and lately starts at minicamp.
Go Cowboys :flagwave:

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
There is no chance Witten retires before the season. He's way too selfish for that.

There's also little chance his snap count is really going to be limited. He's going to play nearly as much as he ever did.

This saddens me...

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This saddens me...

It saddened me when he retired in the middle of the draft and then returned right before this year's draft loaded with TEs.

But hey, he's Jason Witten. That's practically Tom Landry.

Techsass

Reaction score
I'll bet all 3 make the team & produce enough throughout the season to cover their paycheck.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
That's why you would wait until after camp to cut him to see what you have first...

If we are talking Witten's 2017 blocking then it won't improve anything, and our run blocking by the tight ends was weak then also. And if he can't help with either of those things then the $4.25M CAP hit would best be used elsewhere.

I'm not having a $4.25M TE that has no room for growth sitting on the sidelines. If he doesnt perform they should have the guts to cut him like I said.

I have trouble understanding why you think that current Witten is so much better than what we have under him. Agreed, Witten has to prove he is worth $4.25M on the field.

You are entirely too caught up on his money this season.

The cowboys aren’t going to get any game changer for what he’d save. They’re going to pay their own and wittens 2019 money has zero impact on those deals.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Lee today isn't lee of yesterday, but should still have an upside.

I don't know why people aren't more excited about that. Lee is a slight upgrade to a massive upgrade over Wilson. If it tilts toward the latter, we'll have the best 4-3 LB trio in the league.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Oh gotcha.

So you'd take player A who is 37 years old with no room to grow, a free agent at the end of the season, and hurts the CAP for next year since you have $4.25M less to carry over

Over Player B who is 23 years old with plenty of room to grow and showed promise at the end of last season, is under cheap team control for three more years, costs next to nothing and might be a hair worse than player A?

Yeah that's dumb.

I simply disregard anything anyone says when they think the money, CAP, contract, etc of a player doesnt effect the team.

Witten is still better than anything else we have at TE. He's a veteran bridge for the JV squad we had last year, and he's paid like a veteran bridge. I can understand the lack of enthusiasm for him, but it's not like he's forcing Gronkowski to the bench.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'd rather see someone prove that they should receive more snaps than him. Last year, our run blocking by the tight ends was weak and our sacks surrendered increased dramatically partially because Prescott was holding the ball too long. If Witten can help both of those things improve, then he should be on the field. If not, then the coaches should have the guts to pull him off the field and stick one of the other tight ends out there.

I have trouble understanding why fans want to get rid of players before it's shown that we have anyone better than them. Prove it on the field.

If you are waiting on Witten to block well you could be waiting for a while.

Sydla

Reaction score
My Guess is just Lee. Crawford has young guns at his heels and Witten will re-retire. Maybe it’s wishful thinking.

All three are making it.

I’ll be stunned if even one gets cut.

Little Jr

Reaction score
0% chance Witten and Lee don't make the team. .01% chance Crawford doesn't make the team.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If you are waiting on Witten to block well you could be waiting for a while.

I really don't get why some of you are down on Witten's blocking. Is he a blocking TE? No. Never has been, never will be. Is he a pass-catching TE who can block? Yes. Parcells had Witten work on his blocking and he became good at it. Not great, but better than most pass catchers. He understands and is willing to do all the types of blocks that are asked of him, reach, cutoff, wham, wall off. He knows his assignments and how to carry them out, which has always allowed him to overcome not being as athletic as many other tight ends.

If you are looking strictly for a blocking tight end, someone who plays like a lineman in a TE's body, you need to look somewhere else. If you want someone who can catch 60 passes, slow down a DE on his pass rush or pin a linebacker to the outside or inside on a run, there's few who have been better at it than Witten.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Lee is playing for $3.5 million base salary this year. We'd owe him $3M if he retired, and it would cost us at least $500K to sign a JAG to replace his roster spot. Long story short, he is effectively playing for free. If he has anything left in the tank, he should be able to beat out Covington and JML for a job.

Witt is probably better than Dalton Schultz right now and definitely better than Rico, so his roster spot is secure.

Crawford is a survivor. Dude has been on the chopping block almost every season since he got his big contract, but his durability and versatility just keep him coming back. I am not betting against him.
That is a damn fine post!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think, if any of the 3 get cut, it'll be Crawford. Even then, I'm not sure he'll get the axe. Still, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.