Witten, Crawford or Lee, Who Makes The Final 53

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
My Guess is just Lee. Crawford has young guns at his heels and Witten will re-retire. Maybe it’s wishful thinking.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It is wishful thinking. All three will make the team.

The only one where there might be any doubt is Crawford just because of the number of linemen we have and the amount of his contract. However, every year we've brought in potential replacements, they simply have not been better than him or able to stay healthier.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I think Witten is going to retire again. Crawford suspended 4 to 6 games, Elliott 10 games, Gregory the whole season, which will make some interesting roster moves early and mid-season

cern

Reaction score
Can't see witten quittin' . Lee today isn't lee of yesterday, but should still have an upside. Crawford, imo is the least valuable of the three and costs more against the cap than the other two combined.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I think Witten is going to retire again. Crawford suspended 4 to 6 games, Elliott 10 games, Gregory the whole season, which will make some interesting roster moves early and mid-season
Only if he gets a major injury.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Lee is playing for $3.5 million base salary this year. We'd owe him $3M if he retired, and it would cost us at least $500K to sign a JAG to replace his roster spot. Long story short, he is effectively playing for free. If he has anything left in the tank, he should be able to beat out Covington and JML for a job.

Witt is probably better than Dalton Schultz right now and definitely better than Rico, so his roster spot is secure.

Crawford is a survivor. Dude has been on the chopping block almost every season since he got his big contract, but his durability and versatility just keep him coming back. I am not betting against him.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Lee is playing for $3.5 million base salary this year. We'd owe him $3M if he retired, and it would cost us at least $500K to sign a JAG to replace his roster spot. Long story short, he is effectively playing for free. If he has anything left in the tank, he should be able to beat out Covington and JML for a job.

Witt is probably better than Dalton Schultz right now and definitely better than Rico, so his roster spot is secure.

Crawford is a survivor. Dude has been on the chopping block almost every season since he got his big contract, but his durability and versatility just keep him coming back. I am not betting against him.

If Witten isn't substantially better than all of the other TEs it'd be in everyone's best interest for him to retire with his $4.25M CAP hit, and $0 in dead cap.

But of the TEs the one most likely better than him you didnt mention in Jarwin. I really wanted to see him grow with an abundance of snaps this season.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Man oh man I wish Witten would re-retire, but I don't see it happening.

All three make it.

I'd rather see someone prove that they should receive more snaps than him. Last year, our run blocking by the tight ends was weak and our sacks surrendered increased dramatically partially because Prescott was holding the ball too long. If Witten can help both of those things improve, then he should be on the field. If not, then the coaches should have the guts to pull him off the field and stick one of the other tight ends out there.

I have trouble understanding why fans want to get rid of players before it's shown that we have anyone better than them. Prove it on the field.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Crawford may get cut but it’s unlikely. Only way Witten or Lee don’t finish the season on the roster, if healthy, is if they retire mid-season. And that’s not happening. I see them both calling it quits after this season and likely both end up on the coaching staff for 2020.

CCBoy

Reaction score
All three should and will make the team.

Their presence shall be for this entire season. The team focus and leadership should also be a premium because of what these three add.

gimmesix

Reaction score
If Witten isn't substantially better than all of the other TEs it'd be in everyone's best interest for him to retire with his $4.25M CAP hit, and $0 in dead cap.

But of the TEs the one most likely better than him you didnt mention in Jarwin. I really wanted to see him grow with an abundance of snaps this season.

The money doesn't matter to me. I just want the better player, whether it's by a little or a lot, out there because it makes the team better.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I'd rather see someone prove that they should receive more snaps than him. Last year, our run blocking by the tight ends was weak and our sacks surrendered increased dramatically partially because Prescott was holding the ball too long. If Witten can help both of those things improve, then he should be on the field. If not, then the coaches should have the guts to pull him off the field and stick one of the other tight ends out there.

I have trouble understanding why fans want to get rid of players before it's shown that we have anyone better than them. Prove it on the field.

If I remember correctly Witten’s blocking his last year was not good. Plus he kept getting those false start penalties. If the young guys can’t beat him out, then use our depth in other positions to acquire some guys that can play.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

That's why you would wait until after camp to cut him to see what you have first...

If we are talking Witten's 2017 blocking then it won't improve anything, and our run blocking by the tight ends was weak then also. And if he can't help with either of those things then the $4.25M CAP hit would best be used elsewhere.

I'm not having a $4.25M TE that has no room for growth sitting on the sidelines. If he doesnt perform they should have the guts to cut him like I said.

I have trouble understanding why you think that current Witten is so much better than what we have under him. Agreed, Witten has to prove he is worth $4.25M on the field.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My Guess is just Lee. Crawford has young guns at his heels and Witten will re-retire. Maybe it’s wishful thinking.

If I had to place a wager? I'd say that the team keeps all 3. They love their "leaders", even if those leaders don't actually produce on the field when it truly matters.

But my feelings on the Crawford contract are well established.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The money doesn't matter to me. I just want the better player, whether it's by a little or a lot, out there because it makes the team better.

Oh gotcha.

So you'd take player A who is 37 years old with no room to grow, a free agent at the end of the season, and hurts the CAP for next year since you have $4.25M less to carry over

Over Player B who is 23 years old with plenty of room to grow and showed promise at the end of last season, is under cheap team control for three more years, costs next to nothing and might be a hair worse than player A?

Yeah that's dumb.

I simply disregard anything anyone says when they think the money, CAP, contract, etc of a player doesnt effect the team.