Witten has broken ribs? Out for how long? *Merge*

Dallas22

Reaction score
Just heard this on ESPN... they said this is breaking news but haven't heard anything on it - UPDATES?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Jason Witten has broken rib

10:46 AM Tue, Oct 28, 2008 | Permalink | http://l.yimg.com/ds/orion/0.3.9/img/badge-logo.png) no-repeat left top; LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 16px; CURSOR: hand; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px; HEIGHT: 16px">Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips
According to multiple sources, Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten has a broken rib but he hopes to play Sunday against the New York Giants.
The Cowboys are off today and resume practice Wednesday.
Coach Wade Phillips said on Monday he did not know the full extent of WItten's injury but he was told there is a chance Witten - and Anthony Henry (quadriceps) - could play against the Giants.
Witten suffered the injury Sunday against Tampa Bay and attempted to return to the game in the second half but played only one series. If Witten cannot play, it would be just the second game he has missed because of injury in his career. He missed one game as a rookie because of a broken jaw.
It would also severely hurt an offense that has struggled the last two weeks. Without Witten, rookie Martellus Bennett and Tony Curtis would have to fill in.
If Witten, who has also been troubled by a right shoulder injury, can play he would likely have to wear added protection to cover his ribs.

I hope the coaches force him to rest up cause he's crazy enough to play like that.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Now didn't Witten have an X Ray after the game (or was it during the game?) and that said he did NOT have a broken rib?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Rest him. He'd get all this week and all next week off, then probably part of the week after that.

Rest him. The final stretch will be more important then this sunday's game.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
what does this mean? how long would this keep him out for? if he got tackled in the rib area, wouldn't that pretty much put him out for the year?

ethiostar

Reaction score
Good grief, when it rains it pours.

I guess it's a long time coming considering how lucky this team has been on the injury front for a while now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd;2380384 said:
Now didn't Witten have an X Ray after the game (or was it during the game?) and that said he did NOT have a broken rib?

Yes they did but also said they would have more test done which evidently showed a fracture

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
He's still questionable as far as I've heard. JWitt's a tough S.O.B so I think he'll try to play Sunday but my gut tells me they may keep him out until the WSH game w/ our bye coming.

1fisher

Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n;2380385 said:
even if he rests, a broken rib isnt just gonna heal in two weeks.

Precisely! I pulled a rib muscle 4 weeks ago and it's still sore! Of course, I'm not getting round the clock treatment like Witten is....

Hope he gets back soon!

Dallas22

Reaction score
They just said that he could try to play with pain medication especially since the deeper into the season we go, the more important each game is and the more the Cowboys NEED everyone in there. I think that Bennett & Curtis can hold it down (recieving-wise) until Romo gets back in, but we HAVE to have Witten in there by the 16th after our bye week. I hope that IF he plays he doesn't RE-injure it or it's over this season for him... these injuries just NEVER stop coming do they?

DAMN

BadKarma

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2380379 said:
The Cowboys are off today and resume practice Wednesday. Coach Wade Phillips said on Monday he did not know the full extent of WItten's injury but he was told there is a chance Witten - and Anthony Henry (quadriceps) - could play against the Giants.

I hope they rest Anthony Henry longer...he needs to get healthy. I say, sit him out until the end of the season. :D

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BehindEnemyLinez;2380401 said:
He's still questionable as far as I've heard. JWitt's a tough S.O.B so I think he'll try to play Sunday but my gut tells me they may keep him out until the WSH game w/ our bye coming.

Injury like this will come down to how much Witten can tolerate. They can put a protective vest on him to give him some added protection but it is not going to stop the pain when he takes hits.

Dallyjake

Reaction score
When is all this bad luck going to stop? How many more injuries to key players can this team handle?

I gotta give em credit for being 5-3. The Colts dont have near the amount of injuries and they are 3-5.

Smith22

Reaction score
Is Ware next? This is beyond insane! Can we file for an extra BYE week? :lmao2:

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Samething happened to me. The X-rays showed no breaks, but further test showed 3 fractures. It sucked - hard to sleep, hard to breathe, and Lord knows, don't cough or laugh!

It took about 2-3 months before I really didn't notice it anymore. About after the 1st month, the real pain left. But it was still uncomfortable during the next 2 months.

Pain meds is about all you can do, and that still doesn't help too much.

WarC

Reaction score
I guess the bright side of this is that Martellus Bennett looks to be a very capable TE.