Witten might be at the end of his rope

skinsscalper

Reaction score
The cost difference in having him on the roster or not having him on the roster is 5.1M, not 8.5M. Regardless of June 1st cut or pre-June 1st cut, the total amount to keep him is 5.1M. The difference in 8.5M and 5.1M is 3.4M. That amount hits the cap at some point with or without him on the roster.

Also, just curious, were you for or against cutting Ware?

Someone gets it.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The cost difference in having him on the roster or not having him on the roster is 5.1M, not 8.5M. Regardless of June 1st cut or pre-June 1st cut, the total amount to keep him is 5.1M. The difference in 8.5M and 5.1M is 3.4M. That amount hits the cap at some point with or without him on the roster.

Also, just curious, were you for or against cutting Ware?

Please read the entire post.

And I was in favor of cutting ware.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Witten is getting into the HoF. Easily. Perhaps as a first ballot guy when he hangs up the jockstrap.

His production alone warrants it. But more than that Witten is a well liked guy by sports media. Most of whom vote for the honor.

You're fooling yourself OP.

Also you're selling what Witten does for this team dramatically short if you're just looking at Sundays. Go back 40 pages to the off season posts. Read about JG having to hold him out of practice to rest against his wishes. Read stories of Witten running wind sprints at the end of practice every practice. Read stories of the trash talking he gives to the defense day in and day out.

Dude is a competitor and leader in the purest sense and makes all those around him better.

Great thing is his game doesn't rely on athleticism and so will age gracefully. No, he is aging gracefully (current tense). The man had 8 tds last year and the year before set the tight end reception record. He is no longer a Muscle sports car. Those days are behind him. But there is room on the Cowboys for an electric car or two.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please read the entire post.

And I was in favor of cutting ware.

I did. What do you think I'm missing? You keep using the 8.5M reference, but that number is irrelevant in the decision.

Witten gets 5.1M if he stays, not 8.5M.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
13th among Tight Ends in yards this year, 16th in yards per game.

20th in yards per catch.

51st in YAC average

10th in 1st downs

Has no TDs in 4 games.

11th in Targets.

I bet there are a lot of WRs currently with better numbers than Dez. Dez doesn't even lead our receiver group in touchdowns. Maybe we should cut him?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I bet there are a lot of WRs currently with better numbers than Dez. Dez doesn't even lead our receiver group in touchdowns. Maybe we should cut him?

False equivalency.

Dez has a history for scoring tds, Witten does not, Dez is 25, Witten is 32. Dez demands more attention than Witten. Dez is also not currently costing us 8 million dollars.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
False equivalency.

Dez has a history for scoring tds, Witten does not, Dez is 25, Witten is 32. Dez demands more attention than Witten. Dez is also not currently costing us 8 million dollars.

You're right. All those yards Witten racks up don't lead to points. All the 3rd down conversations Witten produces I guess do not lead to points. All the blocks that Witten makes at the LoS definitely do not lead to points. The 8 touchdowns Witten scored last year also apparently did not lead to points.

Also...you keep pointing to 8 million dollars continuously demonstrating a stunning lack of understanding around NFL contracts and the cap.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You're right. All those yards Witten racks up don't lead to points. All the 3rd down conversations Witten produces I guess do not lead to points. All the blocks that Witten makes at the LoS definitely do not lead to points. The 8 touchdowns Witten scored last year also apparently did not lead to points.

Also...you keep pointing to 8 million dollars continuously demonstrating a stunning lack of understanding around NFL contracts and the cap.

Read the whole thread. You're oblivious.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Again, read post 13... You're making a fool of yourself.

Yes. When you release a player. Generally, eventually...you gain cap space. But you keep mentioning 8M when trying to downplay Witten....then in cap talk you acknowledge you save 5M. Definition of not being genuine in your discussion.

As to whether i'd rather have 5M in cap space or Witten?

The answer is Witten. And it isn't really close.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Yes. When you release a player. Generally, eventually...you gain cap space. But you keep mentioning 8M when trying to downplay Witten....then in cap talk you acknowledge you save 5M. Definition of not being genuine in your discussion.

As to whether i'd rather have 5M in cap space or Witten?

The answer is Witten. And it isn't really close.

Dead money isn't permanent. Witten is contracted through 2017. Dead money would only apply til 2016.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Not sure how that makes a difference when you keep using 8 vs 5 to suit your narrative.

It appears you are the one that doesn't know how the cap works.

It's an 8 million dollar cap hit versus a 3 million dollar cap hit (june cut). 5 million can go a long way towards getting a stud defensive player.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Just because Witten isn't Jimmy Graham doesn't mean he's done..

It's easy to forget, but TEs play a bigger role than just simply being a pass catcher.