Twitter: Witten ranked 70th among TEs in speed

phildadon86

Reaction score
Sorry, but it haunts me each and every time I see or hear about Travis Kelce.

And hopefully, it serves as a warning for anyone who ever considers a TE in the second round again.

Ever.
Even if we got Kelce though. Witten wouldn't have given up his snaps and our coaching staff wouldn't know how to use him. As much as it hurts me to say this. Witten going down with an injury may be the only way this coaching staff realizes he should be off the field.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even if we got Kelce though. Witten wouldn't have given up his snaps and our coaching staff wouldn't know how to use him. As much as it hurts me to say this. Witten going down with an injury may be the only way this coaching staff realizes he should be off the field.

I'll always have a lot of love for Witten, so I'll never wish injury upon him.

But what I expect is another year of futility and him riding off into the sunset when the new coaching staff takes over in 2019. Just like what happened with Emmitt when Parcells came in and cleaned house and changed the lackadaisical culture that Jerry allowed to happen.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Well we do have Rico the dominator Gathers to replace Witten with but he is slower and can not take a hit by one of our sorry defensive backs.Just imagine what would have happened if Lee had hit him
This one is easy. They’d both be concussed and miss the entire year.

sbark

Reaction score
Most guys are effectivly slow running parallel to the LOS, alot of what hampers Witten, hampers all the other receivers----scheme, or a scheme slanted hard to favor 1 position
Has Witten lost speed, no doubt, but he can still be a weapon

Still remember the TD vrs Giants, after the big Beasley catch, straight up the seam, finally the scheme was good, Witten easily beat the S to the inside after his usual solid heat shoulder fake to outside.........

accurate pass from Dak....like what he saw developing

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Cowboys (and some fans apparently) that nobody on earth can replace 63 catches, 560 yards, at 8.9 YPC.

I don't think that's the case with most of us. What most of us that support keeping Witten want is for the Cowboys to first find someone better before relegating Witten to the bench or getting him to retire.

Give us someone who can get open for 63-plus catches and I'm for it, but I'm not going to turn my nose at 63 catches (7th-most in the league for tight ends last year). If Rico shows that he's better than that, then he should take snaps away from Witten. If someone we draft does, then he should take snaps away from Witten.

However, I don't believe getting a top-caliber tight end needs to be a priority over other areas of need because Witten is still a player the quarterback can rely on to get open for short-range passes thanks to his savvy. His number of catches was his lowest since his first year, but as I pointed out in another thread, we also passed the ball less than all but about three teams while being in the top five in rushing attempts. We had 493 pass attempts while the top team had almost 100 more. If we had thrown the ball that many times, Witten probably would have been in the top three in receptions. (The year before we adopted a running philosophy, we passed the ball 586 times and Witten had 73 receptions.)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I honestly don't get all the Witten hate from our fans. Yes, he's slow (he's always been slow), yes his YAC is low. Do you think he's truly the problem on our offense or the whole team? Jason is an old throw back guy and one of the true leaders on the team where leadership as a whole is terrible within the entire organization. We have other issues to fix first.

If he was a true leader he would take a step back and do what's best for the team. I'm not saying retire. Just take a step back. But that shouldn't even be on him. This staff should've been sat him down.

He's always been slow but not this slow. He's a part of our problem on offense. We already don't have any speedsters. The league has moved on to faster tight ends awhile ago and we are still out here trotting out our "throwback". Love Witten and his heart.......its nothing personal but this team needs to get faster.

condoin125

Reaction score
You'd think that people would realize the importance of a TE that can stretch the field after what GB did to us in the 2016 playoffs....but people just can't let go. Are we going to be able to find a guy that was just as good as Witten in his prime? Odds say no...but will we find a guy who is better than what Witten is giving us now? Easily.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think that's the case with most of us. What most of us that support keeping Witten want is for the Cowboys to first find someone better before relegating Witten to the bench or getting him to retire.

Give us someone who can get open for 63-plus catches and I'm for it, but I'm not going to turn my nose at 63 catches (7th-most in the league for tight ends last year). If Rico shows that he's better than that, then he should take snaps away from Witten. If someone we draft does, then he should take snaps away from Witten.

However, I don't believe getting a top-caliber tight end needs to be a priority over other areas of need because Witten is still a player the quarterback can rely on to get open for short-range passes thanks to his savvy. His number of catches was his lowest since his first year, but as I pointed out in another thread, we also passed the ball less than all but about three teams while being in the top five in rushing attempts. We had 493 pass attempts while the top team had almost 100 more. If we had thrown the ball that many times, Witten probably would have been in the top three in receptions. (The year before we adopted a running philosophy, we passed the ball 586 times and Witten had 73 receptions.)

Dez had 69 catches and we all want him to perform better.........

If Dak is forcing throws to Dez and Witten.....how can you sit here and give them credit for that? Give them credit for catching meaningless passes?

Jason Witten had 3 catches go for 20+ yards last year.....he's tied for #34th in the league.....James Hanna in limited snaps had 2.

You can find a tight end in this league. Its not about finding his replacements. You don't even know what you have behind him because you won't play them. Hanna and/or Swaim have showed in limited snaps they can play and they deserve more than being relegated to just backing up Witten.

kskboys

Reaction score
You'd think that people would realize the importance of a TE that can stretch the field after what GB did to us in the 2016 playoffs....but people just can't let go. Are we going to be able to find a guy that was just as good as Witten in his prime? Odds say no...but will we find a guy who is better than what Witten is giving us now? Easily.
First we need some WR's who stretch the field. Much more important than a TE who stretches the field.

Bashing a first ballot HOFer is weak sauce.

kskboys

Reaction score
And you'd think people would realize the importance of having a chain moving TE. But people just can't let go.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I honestly don't get all the Witten hate from our fans. Yes, he's slow (he's always been slow), yes his YAC is low. Do you think he's truly the problem on our offense or the whole team? Jason is an old throw back guy and one of the true leaders on the team where leadership as a whole is terrible within the entire organization. We have other issues to fix first.
He has not always been slow.

This game has a way of catching up to older players. It has caught and passed Jason.

We want big plays from our passing game, but yet we have probably the slowest set of pass catchers in the league. Just do the math.

foofighters

Reaction score
If he was a true leader he would take a step back and do what's best for the team. I'm not saying retire. Just take a step back. But that shouldn't even be on him. This staff should've been sat him down.

He's always been slow but not this slow. He's a part of our problem on offense. We already don't have any speedsters. The league has moved on to faster tight ends awhile ago and we are still out here trotting out our "throwback". Love Witten and his heart.......its nothing personal but this team needs to get faster.
Witten comes off as the guy who would step down or take a smaller role if someone was better to take his place. You nailed it about the organization making decisions. They can make the call if there is a better option. Either way, Jason still doesn't deserve a lot of the comments that our fans throw around. For the record, I do think he should take a smaller role if there is a better option but I'd still treat him with the respect that he's earned. He's done nothing but give everything for this team and act in a way that anyone could be proud of.

kskboys

Reaction score
Geez, do you guys really not know/understand that it's not up to the player to give up his snaps? I mean, this is grade school stuff.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
First we need some WR's who stretch the field. Much more important than a TE who stretches the field.

Bashing a first ballot HOFer is weak sauce.
The league has been trending towards dynamic players at TE over the course of the last few years.

And during that trend we have gotten more and more less dynamic.

kskboys

Reaction score
Witten comes off as the guy who would step down or take a smaller role if someone was better to take his place. You nailed it about the organization making decisions. They can make the call if there is a better option. Either way, Jason still doesn't deserve a lot of the comments that our fans throw around. For the record, I do think he should take a smaller role if there is a better option but I'd still treat him with the respect that he's earned. He's done nothing but give everything for this team and act in a way that anyone could be proud of.
IT IS NOT UP TO HIM

foofighters

Reaction score
He has not always been slow.

This game has a way of catching up to older players. It has caught and passed Jason.

We want big plays from our passing game, but yet we have probably the slowest set of pass catchers in the league. Just do the math.
How does a fast tight end fit into our running first scheme? Sure we need speed on the outside and it would be nice in the slot but considering those areas that need speed first, is that something we should focus on for TE right now?

kskboys

Reaction score
The league has been trending towards dynamic players at TE over the course of the last few years.

And during that trend we have gotten more and more less dynamic.
League trends? You want to follow league trends? Did you see what our running game did in 14, and w/ a poor D? How about we set some of those trends.

kazzd58

Reaction score

I know I know....we all know he's slow, but this is the first time that I've come across an actual ranking. Anyways hope everyone has a great weekend! Feel free to discuss and go cowboys!

But people are so worried about Dez's drop off Witten been declining.. waisiting plays when he starts and catches the ball because most times we punting after he catches the ball....

Dude always open but dont convert enough 1st downs for always being open

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I'll be honest. I think they are paying him with a very respectable contract. I think the fact he's on this team is out of respect. I think its unrealistic to think he'd step down completely. But Witten does nothing great for him to not have his job at least tested. He's not a great blocker by any means. For the things he does well and the things he doesn't.....I don't understand why other guys can't get more reps. Hunter Henry gets reps with Antonio Gates there. Let him come in there for limited reps. It will probably even help him out body wise. Keep him fresh.