Witten: Romo and I can play 4-5 more seasons

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Jason Witten: Romo and I can play 4-5 more seasons

The future has been on the minds of many who wear a Dallas Cowboys jersey.

With Tony Romo turning 35 last month, he's coming down the stretch on the back nine of his career and the Super Bowl aspirations are becoming urgent. That was the reason Romo implored Jerry Jones to bring back DeMarco Murray before free agency.

There is no question that the ground-and-pound style the Cowboysemployed with Murray last year helped Romo to his best season in years.

Speaking on Sunday, 33-year-old tight end Jason Witten was asked whether he and Romo have another four or five seasons together in Dallas:

"If we do it like last year we can," Witten responded, per the Dallas Morning News' Jon Machota.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...on-witten-romo-and-i-can-play-45-more-seasons

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
It would be nice to see. However, the NFL is "Not For Long". I used to feel the same way about Dorsett, Staubach, Aikman, Smith, Irvin, etc...At some point we move on to something else. I just hope they can win a ring or two...or three together before it's done. But if not I'm just happy I got to see them play together.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I hope they both can. Really hard to picture watching the boys without those two playing.

It is going to take some adjusting. Especially with Romo. It will be fun to evaluate the new guy, but its just going to be odd at first.

They may make another 3-4 years, but at what level will the be playing? I dont think Romo makes it another 3.

RS12

Reaction score
That would be great. Not likely though.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
They both almost certainly have 4 more seasons in them, barring some fluke injury. Romo would be 38 at the end of the fourth season (Witten would be 36). It is not unusual for good QBs to play at 38 (Tom Brady will be playing at 38 this coming season and no one questions whether he has at least another couple seasons in him). The question is merely whether Romo will play at 39. If I had to bet money, I'd say that Witten plays at 37. I'm not sure I'd bet Romo plays at 39, but it wouldn't be surprising.

In other words, another 4 seasons out of Romo is very likely, and another 5 seasons out of Witten is likely.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I cannot even fathom how slow Witten will be in 5 more years.
And still will somehow get open...

Yeah, I think he has slowed to the point its noticeable by fans. But being in sync with Romo might just be enough for him.

It wouldn't surprise me if these two are still around, but I would NOT count on it.... and promising backups should be on the roster.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score

With Tony Romo turning 35 last month, he's coming down the stretch on the back nine of his career and the Super Bowl aspirations are becoming urgent. That was the reason Romo implored Jerry Jones to bring back DeMarco Murray before free agency.

There is no question that the ground-and-pound style the Cowboysemployed with Murray last year helped Romo to his best season in years.

Speaking on Sunday, 33-year-old tight end Jason Witten was asked whether he and Romo have another four or five seasons together in Dallas:

"If we do it like last year we can," Witten responded, per the Dallas Morning News' Jon Machota.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...on-witten-romo-and-i-can-play-45-more-seasons

...and I'll be right there rooting you on.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Romo I could easily see playing 4-5 more years, barring some freak thing happening (though I'm guessing around 3). QB is a very different position than TE, though. I just can't see Witt still playing far beyond this coming season or maybe one more after that. At least as the starter. Who knows, though. Hopefully both continue to play for as long as possible.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

i really hope not. Witten im hoping starts to get phased out by next yr. Romo hopefully the yr after.

Doomsay

Reaction score
jagger_richards_2005_400q.jpg

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Why would you hope your franchise QB get phased out while he's playing the best of his career and may very well still be in two seasons?

2 more yrs of romo is good enough. Draft his replacement this coming yr and keep it moving. Guy is getting shots in his back every week to be able to play. Thats going to take its toll. Thats why.

bark

Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised to see them both hang it up at the same time. They will be missed!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
:facepalm: Great reasoning there...

So a guy who has to have a cortisone shot in his back every week just to be able to suit up to play isnt a big deal for you? Manning was contimplating retiring after going thru this type of thing this yr. And this coming yr will be his last. This isnt madden, the human body can only take so much.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I cant see Witten for 4 more years and we need to see Escobar play to see what we got