News: Witten: There was talks about him returning to Cowboys in 2020

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Witten needs to stop crying. The so-called talks about him returning did not go as he wanted, boo hoo, get over it, you has-been. At best he was offered a drastically reduced role with the Cowboys and his ego could not handle that so he opted to bounce. Rather than retire gracefully, Witten will now have a drastically reduced role with the Raiders. lol

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I respect everything that he has done for the Cowboys, the way he carried himself on and off the field. But I think it was time unless he wanted to assume some sort of coaching position. This may still be an option for him but even in coaching they're rookies who need to work their way up before being named a starter.

Techsass

Reaction score
I wonder what all those talks were about. Unlike so many of my fellow CZ junkies, I am still a big fan of the guy. He isn't what he was, but he still covers his paycheck. Where once he was a weapon, he's now more of a safety valve. It's too bad for him that we don't see that as a big need anymore.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Witten needs to stop crying. The so-called talks about him returning did not go as he wanted, boo hoo, get over it, you has-been. At best he was offered a drastically reduced role with the Cowboys and his ego could not handle that so he opted to bounce. Rather than retire gracefully, Witten will now have a drastically reduced role with the Raiders. lol

That's what you got out of what he said?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I wonder what all those talks were about. Unlike so many of my fellow CZ junkies, I am still a big fan of the guy. He isn't what he was, but he still covers his paycheck. Where once he was a weapon, he's now more of a safety valve. It's too bad for him that we don't see that as a big need anymore.

I remember reading in a thread about how they talked about Witten going into coaching, but McCarthy wanted to start him out as entry level and Witten balked. That could just be rumor, though.

I have great respect for what Witten did with this franchise. Like a lot of great players, he left a little later than he should have. I expect this year to go for him much like Emmitt's year in Arizona did, then he'll ride off into the sunset on his was to Canton.

Flamma

Reaction score

Yep. As slow as a salted slug but he still managed to get open. Still managed to get open down the seam in the redzone too.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Methinks Jason himself did the talking (begging?) to McCarthy,... and MM replied.. .."Hell to the Naaah, but thanks for asking anyway. "

If only Witt's ole buddy Garrett were still HC here ...
. :thumbdown:

MM doesn’t make those decisions.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Yep. As slow as a salted slug but he still managed to get open. Still managed to get open down the seam in the redzone too.

he has good hands. Rarely drops a pass.

made a killing on that TE option route.

HoF player.

hated by some on this board. Loved by others.

phildadon86

Reaction score
he has good hands. Rarely drops a pass.

made a killing on that TE option route.

HoF player.

hated by some on this board. Loved by others.
Yeah. He dropped a few this year that were very costly. And fumbled in New Orleans when we were pushing down the field. I love me some Witten but it was time for him to go.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
With all due respect to Witten and what he has done to the franchise, the team had to move on. He was more of a liability than an asset on the field. No longer is an effective blocker, more of a short area safety value with zero run after the catch ability at this stage. With Witten on the field, it just made it far easier to defend our offense. His skills have eroded to the point in which he shouldn't be on the field. In Las Vegas, he is going to be more of a mentor then a player for them. If he thinks otherwise, he is mistaken. Will he be able to handle such a role? Probably not and most likely will call it quits before season end.