Twitter: Witten to coach high school

aria

Reaction score
It definitely isn't the NFL, but Texas HS football is very competitive. 80 to 90 hour work weeks. A lot of fun and get to really make a difference in young players lives beyond football. Just this weekend I helped one of my players from 11 years ago out of a jamb. They'll never forget him.
I still stay in touch with old football coach from ~25 years ago. The Cowboys are his favorite team and he lives in New Mexico but I’ve paid for tickets for him his brother to attend a few games with myself and wife. Great guy, he took time out of his personal schedule to tutor me in college algebra my senior year and he wasn’t even my teacher. Never would have passed if it weren’t for him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Former raider to coach high school... this is how it goes when you move on from being a Cowboy. No RoH or HoF for you!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I still stay in touch with old football coach from ~25 years ago. The Cowboys are his favorite team and he lives in New Mexico but I’ve paid for tickets for him his brother to attend a few games with myself and wife. Great guy, he took time out of his personal schedule to tutor me in college algebra my senior year and he wasn’t even my teacher. Never would have passed if it weren’t for him.
The young man I helped this weekend, was actually helped by one of my 7th grade players from 1989. He had never met him before I put them in contact, but he didn't hesitate to help out. Pretty cool when you think about it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Only notable thing here is he came back to DFW to do this as opposed to off to Tennesee.

May well indicate he's fine coaching HS until a position role opens up with the Cowboys.

Argyle is like 35 minutes from the Star if you mostly follow the speed limit.

Well, it is his kids' school. I suppose he could have uprooted them, but I think this is more about him wanting to be where his kids are and that opportunity becoming available to him.

GMO415

Reaction score
That's where he belongs. He has already been embarrassed nationally, and his post football career needs to reset. He is not ready to be a HC anywhere but in HS.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Well, it is his kids' school. I suppose he could have uprooted them, but I think this is more about him wanting to be where his kids are and that opportunity becoming available to him.
Exactly and he wouldn't have to uproot them to work for the Cowboys either.
But he could have uprooted them for Knoxville and taken a job (in some form) for U of Tenneesee if that was his longer term goal.
What I'd fully expect now is that he ends up coaching TE or OL in Dallas in a year or so.

Most of the discussion had focused on his future as Tenn coach. I'd now lean to him not leaving the area.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One memory I have of Witten that speaks volumes to me about the man isn't going back into the game with a broken jaw or running down the field without his helmet or never quitting on the field. It didn't even happen during a game.

You couldn't find a player less like Witten on the team than Dez Bryant. Yet, here was Witten being interviewed in the locker room when Dez had one of his emotional episodes and was screaming for Dalrymple to get involved and fix it. But he didn't get involved, didn't have to, Witten excused himself from his interview and just went over and stood silently by Dez. And just like that, everything just calmed down. The message had been delivered, Dez's back was covered. By the unlikeliest man but likeliest teammate.

Many took shots at Garrett for not getting involved once he looked in but what he saw told him it was already being handled by the player he knew most likely to do that. The guy that he could depend on to give him 100% of everything he had and not just on the field.

If I had a kid playing ball at that school, I would be overjoyed at the type man, not just coach, that is in charge of extending life lessons and there are many for young men and women to learn in high school that can stay with them all their lives. That school made a quality hire.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Exactly and he wouldn't have to uproot them to work for the Cowboys either.
But he could have uprooted them for Knoxville and taken a job (in some form) for U of Tenneesee if that was his longer term goal.
What I'd fully expect now is that he ends up coaching TE or OL in Dallas in a year or so.

Most of the discussion had focused on his future as Tenn coach. I'd now lean to him not leaving the area.

I could see that, but possibly after his kids graduate. I'm not sure what year they are in, but they seem to be the main reason he took a high school job, so I would think he'd want to be there until then. Of course, if Dallas came to him with an offer, I'm sure he would not refuse it. But he needs to show that he can coach first.

Mannix

Reaction score
------Of course, if Dallas came to him with an offer, I'm sure he would not refuse it. But he needs to show that he can coach first.

Booger will give him job that he has no business being in....guaranteed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Seems like Witten opted for a less stressful job than he'd get in the NFL.
Good for him! Here's hoping he'll be satisfactorily content with it.:thumbup:

One thing's for sure; the players will be thrilled for him to be their coach.

Last edited:

Cmac

Reaction score
That is a good place to start. Learn early on if coaching is really for you. It is as low a pressure spot as you can have any more.
…..great start. See where it goes, and climb the ladder as success comes.....instead of the HC in Waiting Program that Jerry likes.