Witten wants to play until he's 40

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Yay! We get to see his balding dome another 5 years!!!!!!

Seriously, I’ll rip the remaining 10 hairs off his head and make him eat it if he continues to hold the TE position hostage.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think everyone can agree that now is the time to get somebody in who can take Witten's job.

I disagree.

We've got 5 TEs already on the roster. Cut Hanna, keep Swaim as a veteran backup, and see what Rico and Jarwin have to offer.

There is certainly no rush to bring in a new TE. Maybe next year, after we've seen what we have in Jarwin and Rico, and Swaim moves on. We kept the young guys on the roster because we believed they have something. Let's see if they do before we spend a prime pick on another one.

zerofill

Reaction score
I disagree.

We've got 5 TEs already on the roster. Cut Hanna, keep Swaim as a veteran backup, and see what Rico and Jarwin have to offer.

There is certainly no rush to bring in a new TE. Maybe next year, after we've seen what we have in Jarwin and Rico, and Swaim moves on. We kept the young guys on the roster because we believed they have something. Let's see if they do before we spend a prime pick on another one.

And just like WR... that is another position I wouldn't be drafting with the first couple of picks.

Mannix

Reaction score
------Let me guess. Witten is the reason this team hasn’t won anything in 20 years?

No, but he may be a big reason why we stay floundering at our current level.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I disagree.

That's good and fine, but if the other TE's mess up early the coaching staff can't just say ok lets play Witten most/all the snaps for the rest of the season now.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And just like WR... that is another position I wouldn't be drafting with the first couple of picks.

I will. 2nd round at least.

TE wasn't a problem last year.

WR was one of the biggest problems last year. We've improved our cap situation, and may or may not have improved on Dez with Hurns. I think we still need significant improvement at WR, and would spend a pick to do it.

zerofill

Reaction score
I will. 2nd round at least.

TE wasn't a problem last year.

WR was one of the biggest problems last year. We've improved our cap situation, and may or may not have improved on Dez with Hurns. I think we still need significant improvement at WR, and would spend a pick to do it.

I just don't see how we can't be going with positions like DT, OT, LB for our first 3 picks... unless nothing is there, which would be hard to believe, at least with DT.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I just don't see how we can't be going with positions like DT, OT, LB for our first 3 picks... unless nothing is there, which would be hard to believe, at least with DT.

With the signing of Flemming, I don't see OT.
I don't see LB that high either. We've got our two 3 down LBs.
DT - maybe, if there is a guy they consider a 3 down player. But there are guys further down the draft for 1tech.

I see G, WR, DT in the 1st. Dropping back would actually work out pretty well for us, as I see a lot of those players there later in the 1st.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That's good and fine, but if the other TE's mess up early the coaching staff can't just say ok lets play Witten most/all the snaps for the rest of the season now.
I agree with that. Just wasting the year without developing and looking at Jarwin and Rico would be dumb.

zerofill

Reaction score
I don't see LB that high either. We've got our two 3 down LBs.

I just don't want more of... Lee is injured we are doomed this year. Never seen any defense fold up like they did without him.

Even though a rookie won't prevent that.

Carter

Reaction score
Hes at the Point of were my love for him declines fast. He Needs to let this Team develop with Young Players.

His time is up and has been for a while now.

Its not 2007 anymore.

Im sick of him burrying all TE Development.

He will give us again 2 Yards on 3rd & 3 and i cant take that anymore lol

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree.

My assumption is that these guys aren't good enough to displace a diminished Witten. Just b/c we have numbers doesn't mean any of them are any good.

condoin125

Reaction score
Agreed. It's mostly because of the shiny new toy syndrome where everyone wants the neg fangled toy because someone else has it.
It's not about having a shiny new toy, it's about keeping up with the current pace of the game....a TE that can stretch the field can really help an offense overall by spreading things out.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
My assumption is that these guys aren't good enough to displace a diminished Witten. Just b/c we have numbers doesn't mean any of them are any good.
It's not just that we had numbers, but we kept an overload of 5 TEs on the roster to avoid losing them. If they didn't believe in the potential of Jarwin and Rico, they should have cut one.

They don't have to displace Witten. They just have to get snaps. They need some development and testing on the field.