Witten won't rule out playing in 2020

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Think there was a thread a while back asking why we haven't addressed the TE position......well, I think we found your answer LOL

As long as he's not a liability on the field, I guess I'm Ok with him playing as he can.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-Witten-might-play-2020-NFL-season-131722314/
Jason Witten won't rule out playing in 2020
ByPATRIK WALKER 23 hours ago
Don't assume Jason Witten is done after 2019.

Only a few months into 2019, he already loves it more than the year prior.

He originally made the decision to remain with the Dallas Cowboys in 2018, but had a change of heart that led to his retirement last spring. From there, he'd follow in the steps of former Cowboys before him — most recently best friend and former teammate Tony Romo — in trying his hand as an NFL color analyst. Set to be the replacement for a departing Jon Gruden, who was leaving ESPN Monday Night Football to take the head coaching reins for the Oakland Raiders, the table was set for Witten to potentially be the next Romo — wherein lay the true problem. The bar had been raised so high by Romo in his first year with CBS that unless Witten was equally as football intelligent, witty and charismatic as his former quarterback, the chances were he'd be met with a mountain of criticism.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I don't care if he wants to stick around. I do care if we stop trying to get better at the position, including spending high picks, because of him.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
A real GM wouldn't have brought Witten back......love the guy, wanted Dallas to select him in the second round when they took the center Al Johnson and couldn't believe he was still there in the third round, a future ring of honor and Hall of famer, a consumate professional and leader on and off the field but he's a declining player at this point and Dallas needs a tightend that can stretch the field down the middle, Witten can't do that anymore!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He could be the reason they wanted Pollard so bad. Just me, but if he can still get open, move the chain and be effective in the red zone, I'm Ok with him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think there was a thread a while back asking why we haven't addressed the TE position......well, I think we found your answer LOL

As long as he's not a liability on the field, I guess I'm Ok with him playing as he can.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-Witten-might-play-2020-NFL-season-131722314/

He originally made the decision to remain with the Dallas Cowboys in 2018, but had a change of heart that led to his retirement last spring. From there, he'd follow in the steps of former Cowboys before him — most recently best friend and former teammate Tony Romo — in trying his hand as an NFL color analyst. Set to be the replacement for a departing Jon Gruden, who was leaving ESPN Monday Night Football to take the head coaching reins for the Oakland Raiders, the table was set for Witten to potentially be the next Romo — wherein lay the true problem. The bar had been raised so high by Romo in his first year with CBS that unless Witten was equally as football intelligent, witty and charismatic as his former quarterback, the chances were he'd be met with a mountain of criticism.

I don't think anybody in his situation would rule it out.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
In his last year Witten could no longer stretch the field but he could still block and catch over 70% of throws thrown his way. Use him as the Y and let Jarwin play H and attack the seam. And of course rotate them all heavily so our young players can continue to progress.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
In his last year Witten could no longer stretch the field but he could still block and catch over 70% of throws thrown his way. Use him as the Y and let Jarwin play H and attack the seam. And of course rotate them all heavily so our young players can continue to progress.
your last sentence is key and one that I have no faith that JG will enforce. Witten can't play 90% of the snaps....but I bet he does.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Wow. We haven't even seen his level of play for 2019 but want him gone on 2020.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Leave him alone (lol) ......I honestly think we're a better team with him than without. His experience, football IQ, and leadership are invaluable, especially after tough losses and/or late-season playoff run.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no problem with year to year deal with Witten if he is showing effectiveness this season. Before I worry about 2020 season I want to see how he fairs in 2019

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Garrett ruled out coaching a few years ago!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Leave him alone (lol) ......I honestly think we're a better team with him than without. His experience, football IQ, and leadership are invaluable, especially after tough losses and/or late-season playoff run.

I agree. I admit I have great respect for the man. In 15 season he missed 1 game and that was his rookie year after getting his jaw broken. This guy is a warrior who has played through pain always giving his all to the team. I find it interesting we have so many who standup for pot heads who can't manage to avoid getting suspended yet rail against a man of Witten stature