Wittens 1st Down catch...

sbark

Reaction score
Hope its not a major repost/ re-hash

from another non-football forum...............

OTOH, some people are saying that the challenge on Whitten's first down was a non-challengeable call. One of the more reputable talk show hosts - Hitzges of the Ticket - said Jerry Jones, who sits on the Competition Committee, beat it into officials' heads that unless you have a straight 90 degree angle shot to the ball, then you can't over rule the spot on the field.
That was my take. I didn't think Whitten made it, but the call on the field was that he did. In order to overrule, you must have conclusive proof. None of the shots they showed on TV was "conclusive" (do the replay offcials have camera shots the networks don't?" Doubt it). Therefore, the officials made the correct call, but the failed to follow their own guidelines to so do (unless they have a better camera angle we didn't see).

seems to be good discussion point

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I've strongly voiced the same opinion to anyone I know that would listen. We got .......!!!!!

Smith22

Reaction score
WITTEN.

Hmm, I still don't think he made the 1st down. To me, he was down at about the 1.25, he needed the 1.

TEK2000

Reaction score
While the review was taking place, Brad Sham kept saying over and over that he didn't believe there was anyway they could overturn the spot because the camera angles were too off.

Its like looking at the speedometer needle from the passenger's seat... it looks like you're going 5MPH slower than you actually are.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I don't think he made it either, but the call on the field is not supposed to be reversed unless there is "conclusive evidence" that the orignal call was wrong. How 6-12" can be determined to be conclusive when spotting a ball is beyond me. Why was it even reviewed? The booth had to call for the review because it was under 2:00. What prompted the review? What did they see that no one else saw that made it conclusive?

DipChit

Reaction score
Well I thought the spot was too good to be true in the first place so I wasnt surprised by the end result. Even on the live shot I didnt think he got as far as where he was proceeding to spot it.

When I saw the guy running in I'm like yesssssss ball game! Cause had we got a 1st down there it was over. Even better than a TD cause we could''ve milked the clock down to nothing.

Oh..the little detail about still having to make a <ahem> kick? Well allow me to presume that if the whole sequence was different, the result of the FG attempt would've been diff too. ;)

Smith22

Reaction score
DipChit;1301938 said:
Well I thought the spot was too good to be true in the first place so I wasnt surprised by the end result. Even on the live shot I didnt think he got as far as where he was proceeding to spot it.

When I saw the guy running in I'm like yesssssss ball game! Cause had we got a 1st down there it was over. Even better than a TD cause we could''ve milked the clock down to nothing.

Oh..the little detail about still having to make a <ahem> kick? Well allow me to presume that if the whole sequence was different, the result of the FG attempt would've been diff too. ;)

Yeah, talk about a swing of emotion. When that ref signaled 1st down, I about jumped off my couch, wishing they would hurry up and run the next play. After that, all hell broke loose.

TEK2000

Reaction score
If only he'd spotted TO.

http://i118.***BLOCKED***/albums/o94/tek2001/wittenseahawks2.jpg

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
TEK2000;1301971 said:
If only he'd spotted TO.

http://i118.***BLOCKED***/albums/o94/tek2001/wittenseahawks2.jpg

He'd have to lob it over the defender or wait until T.O. was clear of the guy at the 3.5 yard line.

But when he turns his head to look at T.O., the safety comes over to T.O.'s side.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
WOW!, HOW in the heck did he miss TO, that woulda been the easiest and biggest TD for TO all year..........

Bizwah

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought Witten was short. But I was telling my wife that I didn't see how the officials could overturn the call. Especially, when there was a linejudge RIGHT there. He made the call immediately.

Usually, officials will go with a call like that.

But, as I said....I think Witten was short.

That being said....we can't blame the refs. We can't blame the wet football.

We had more talent on the field than the Seahawks. They had a better gameplan. They outplayed us all night.

That's what cost us.

TEK2000

Reaction score
Jimz31;1301996 said:
He'd have to lob it over the defender or wait until T.O. was clear of the guy at the 3.5 yard line.

But when he turns his head to look at T.O., the safety comes over to T.O.'s side.

I agree. The one thing he could have done is throw it high towards TO where TO was the only person to have a chance at catching it.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Smith22

Reaction score
Bizwah;1302000 said:
We had more talent on the field than the Seahawks. They had a better gameplan. They outplayed us all night.

That's what cost us.

BINGO! If anything, blame ourselves for at least 3 dropped INT's and fumbling the ball away over and over.

BlueDemon

Benched
Reaction score
That play is desgined to go Witten and Witten only...that's the same play Bledsoe got picked on in Philly ...the Staff loves it...why? I don't know...

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Plus, it doesn't look like he had much time to make the decision....look at the Right Tackle lying on the ground.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
BlueDemon;1302015 said:
That play is desgined to go Witten and Witten only...that's the same play Bledsoe got picked on in Philly ...the Staff loves it...why? I don't know...

I know why...

Because they are what they are <insert ANY offensive word here> :banghead:

DipChit

Reaction score
Smith22;1302011 said:
BINGO! If anything, blame ourselves for at least 3 dropped INT's and fumbling the ball away over and over.

Yeah it wasnt approach or gameplan so much really as it was just execution or lack thereof by us.

Pretty much evidenced by the fact that in losing we had a few different play(er)s we could specifically call out for the loss. Had they ended up losing by coming up short if we had made the FG, they really wouldnt have, other than a general.. well..the QB didnt play quite as well as he could've.

TEK2000

Reaction score
Jimz31;1302019 said:
Plus, it doesn't look like he had much time to make the decision....look at the Right Tackle lying on the ground.

That's Marion Barber trying to cut block the guy.

WarC

Reaction score
Romo was missing TO on curls like that ALL DAY. He has the accuracy to thread that ball between defenders that far apart with a little lead on the ball...If he'd just make that read!

I was almost screaming at the TV, at times.

I chalk it up to his inexperience. That was a throw a Manning or Brady would have seen...Romo had already zeroed in on Witten.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
TEK2000;1302027 said:
That's Marion Barber trying to cut block the guy.

Ahhh, yep. I see that now.

Couldn't run or block in that game.