Ahhh, yep. I see that now.

Couldn't run or block in that game.

The guy always cut blocks.

Had been flagged a couple of times.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Smith22;1301919 said:
WITTEN.

Hmm, I still don't think he made the 1st down. To me, he was down at about the 1.25, he needed the 1.

Forward progress when he caught the ball was at the 1 yard line. He caught the ball over his head. This is what the ref was looking at when he spotted the ball, and the ref was right.

It was a horrible call.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Don Corleone;1302060 said:
Forward progress when he caught the ball was at the 1 yard line. He caught the ball over his head. This is what the ref was looking at when he spotted the ball, and the ref was right.

It was a horrible call.

I just didnt think they had the correct camera angle to make an accurate call.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
smarta5150;1302062 said:
I just didnt think they had the correct camera angle to make an accurate call.

True. But the line judge was right there to spot forward progress, and he had the best angle.

Witten caught the ball behind his body, which was probably at the 1.5 to 1.25 yard line. He hit the ground with both feet down and the ball behind his body at the 1 yard line.

The call should not have been overturned. I'm still baffled! :bang2:

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Don Corleone;1302069 said:
True. But the line judge was right there to spot forward progress, and he had the best angle.

Witten caught the ball behind his body, which was probably at the 1.5 to 1.25 yard line. He hit the ground with both feet and the ball behind his body at the 1 yard line.

The call should not have been overturned. I'm still baffled! :bang2:

I am with you.

The BEST angle was the ref who spotted the ball.

How a ref in a booth could argue he had a better view is beyond me.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
smarta5150;1302073 said:
I am with you.

What's even more amazing is that the ref in the booth knew exactly where to spot the ball, conclusively?!!! :eek:

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Smith22;1301919 said:
WITTEN.

Hmm, I still don't think he made the 1st down. To me, he was down at about the 1.25, he needed the 1.

He didn't type the paragraph, read, "FROM ANOTHER FORUM"....and also look he spelled Witten correctly in the title...

Smith22

Reaction score
air0208;1302088 said:
He didn't type the paragraph, read, "FROM ANOTHER FORUM"....and also look he spelled Witten correctly in the title...

Just a pet peeve of mine. Happens all the time with Witten and Newman.

CaptainQuint

Reaction score
The point of furthest forward progress was at the time Witten caught the ball, and I thought that point was right at the first down line.
The official on the field jumped in and put his foot down exactly where he thought forward progress had been made.
His judgement should not have been overturned.
Anyway, it was just a playoff game.
Even if it had been a 'superbowl', then the question asked by a famous Cowboy needs to be answered:

*"How can it be the Superbowl, if there's another one every year?"

*Duane Thomas, RB

joseephuss

Reaction score
smarta5150;1302073 said:
I am with you.

No, the ref who ended up spotting the ball is standing at the 7 yard line in the picture on this thread. The ref who is standing on the goal line may have had a better view, but he is not the one who spotted the ball. If you watch the replay, the official who spots it is running down the line and has to make a guess as to where Witten's forward progress is stopped.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Witten was definately short of the first down but they marked him a 1/2 yard back when it was probably only inches. The bottomline is Witten needs to run that route a tad bit deeper so it doesnt become an issue.

deadrody

Reaction score
Don Corleone;1302060 said:
Totally agree. That's what I thought when I first saw it, that the farthest Witten ever got was when he first caught it. And there is no way the replay could definitively say where the ball was at that point. Inconclusive.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
deadrody;1302782 said:
Totally agree. That's what I thought when I first saw it, that the farthest Witten ever got was when he first caught it. And there is no way the replay could definitively say where the ball was at that point. Inconclusive.

Now that you mention it, that is true. He did catch it over his head and then the defender was right there tackling him. Witten tried to push ahead but was pushed back just a tad. The replay official went by the end of the play instead of by the forward progress.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
air0208;1301999 said:
WOW!, HOW in the heck did he miss TO, that woulda been the easiest and biggest TD for TO all year..........

Does anyone else besides me see the linebacker?

Hindsight is 20/20, but if only he faked it to Witten, and threw it to the guy behind him as he proceeded to do what appears to be an out to the side of the endzone, it most likely would have been a TD.

joseephuss

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1303020 said:
Does anyone else besides me see the linebacker?

Hindsight is 20/20, but if only he faked it to Witten, and threw it to the guy behind him as he proceeded to do what appears to be an out to the side of the endzone, it most likely would have been a TD.

Do you think Fasano would have caught it?

DipChit

Reaction score
I think it's amazing that a bunch of people can look at the exact same thing and come to opposite conclusions.

Regardless of whether it should've been ruled on/changed after the fact, some people think he got the 1st down for real himself, others think he was held short... while we're all just looking at the same thing over and over.

No wonder even the replay system isnt flawless.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
smarta5150;1302073 said:
I am with you.

I think it was Spagnola that mentioned that the official in the replay booth was supplied by Seattle. I don't suppose that would have anything to do with it? ;)

dools

Reaction score
TEK2000;1301971 said:
If only he'd spotted TO.

http://i118.***BLOCKED***/albums/o94/tek2001/wittenseahawks2.jpg
I dont trust TO on third or fourth down! He has made way too many critical drops!

dboyz

Reaction score
Does anyone have a still of when Witten caught the ball?

IMO of all the so-called questionable calls in the game, this was the most questionable. It's likely that Witten didn't quite get the first down, but based on the camera angles, I don't see how you can reverse the original call.