Witten's helmet

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Never noticed this before.

USA Today:

Not everyone wants so many options. McCord has repeatedly offered veteran Jason Witten newer models of helmets to try, but the Pro Bowl tight end ultimately sticks with the helmet that he's worn since his rookie year, which he has nicknamed "Betsy."

A glance inside "Betsy" reveals the wear and tear. It even includes old glue stains left from a changeover in padding.

"We're always saying, 'You might try something different,'" McCord says. "But the guys are so set in their ways. This particular helmet has been with him for a long time, and he just feels more comfortable wearing it. I can't blame a guy. I'm never going to force a guy into changing."

5235765595_8ac40f67ed_o.jpg

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Football helmets can be incredibly uncomfortable. So if you find one that you like, I'd understand wanting to stick with it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I wondered why they were asking him about that on his Ticket show today...

lcharles

Negativity King
Reaction score
Could be he named it "Betsy" after his hometown Of Elizabethton TN. A lot of locals here refer to it as "Betsy Town".

Witten is a great guy.

superpunk

Reaction score
That's funny I just noticed during the broadcast on Sunday that the exposed padding looked really worn and cracked, lol.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I haven't changed my underwear in years. I am telling you that I am sticking with it.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
The article may be boring to some but fascinating to me.

I've always wondered why it seems the Cowboys are late adopters to the newer and safer helmets.

If you look at a team like the Chiefs, I believe their entire team wears the newer style helmet (don't know the maker).

The NY Giants have a lot of players wearing the newer styled helmets as well.

I think the Cowboys should really be more forceful in recommending the newer equipment. I suppose you can't force it, but you can certainly make known the benefits of making the upgrade. Simply putting out pamphlets ain't gonna do it.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Stupid move by Witten, in my opinion...for a guy who has had a serious concussion, he should be wearing the new helmit...they all should...and frankly, they shouldn't have a choice. They are paid a lot of money...the CEO shouldn't allow guys to risk his investment over which helmit they wear.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
He's probably going to get fined now that theres an article about it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
realtick;3736328 said:
The article may be boring to some but fascinating to me.

I've always wondered why it seems the Cowboys are late adopters to the newer and safer helmets.

If you look at a team like the Chiefs, I believe their entire team wears the newer style helmet (don't know the maker).

The NY Giants have a lot of players wearing the newer styled helmets as well.

I think the Cowboys should really be more forceful in recommending the newer equipment. I suppose you can't force it, but you can certainly make known the benefits of making the upgrade. Simply putting out pamphlets ain't gonna do it.
I've never understood why helmet technology can't be dramatically improved anyway. Some of the helmets these guys wear are no different than the ones we wore 20 years ago (or more).

There was a great ESPN podcast a couple months ago where Marcellus Wiley was talking about how there are some small, innovative companies out there who had developed such improved helmets, but because they didn't have the cash to make deals with the league, they were never used. It was pretty interesting.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
I tell ya, even thouth Witten is having a subpar year, you get atleast 75% of Witten's on your team. You are going places.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Hook'em#11;3736404 said:
I tell ya, even thouth Witten is having a subpar year, you get atleast 75% of Witten's on your team. You are going places.

Not sure I'd call this year subpar.

Don't think he's that far off from his usual.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3736409 said:
Not sure I'd call this year subpar.

Don't think he's that far off from his usual.

More or less with the penalties and not usual play by him.