Witten's helmet

Reaction score
Witten's on pace for 86 catches, 900 yards, 5 TDs. So yeah, pretty much consistent with what he always puts up. And the penalties aren't new this year, he's been getting them for a couple years for some reason.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Hook'em#11;3736404 said:
I tell ya, even thouth Witten is having a subpar year, you get atleast 75% of Witten's on your team. You are going places.

Would that be backwards with penalties?

Jk

arglebargle

Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if the NFL/Union negotiations don't have some effect on this: ie requiring players to wear safer helmets.

The NFL has gotten proactive on concussions, as more information on long term effects has become known. Given that they are incredibly picky about how you wear your socks, they may be moving on this as well. It would reflect kinda poorly on the union to fight against a noted safety issue.

Lots of professions require uncomfortable safety equipment.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
That's nice of Witten to show loyalty to Betsy even after she left him for awhile a few years ago.

nmc_4wittenhit03.jpg

Wimbo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3736392 said:
I've never understood why helmet technology can't be dramatically improved anyway. Some of the helmets these guys wear are no different than the ones we wore 20 years ago (or more).

There was a great ESPN podcast a couple months ago where Marcellus Wiley was talking about how there are some small, innovative companies out there who had developed such improved helmets, but because they didn't have the cash to make deals with the league, they were never used. It was pretty interesting.

The helmets are doing about as much as they can right now. Brain injuries occur when the brain makes impact with the inside of the skull. Since the brain is essentially floating inside the skull, padding outside the skull can not do much to change the sudden impact of grey matter against the inside of the skull when the head comes to an abrupt stop.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
was a bummer to break in a helmet (could take weeks) and have it crack or break and have to break in another

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
lcharles;3736296 said:
Could be he named it "Betsy" after his hometown Of Elizabethton TN. A lot of locals here refer to it as "Betsy Town".

Witten is a great guy.
Ah a fellow east Tennessean.

Witten is a great guy, but he never struck me as the brightest bulb on the tree.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Wimbo;3737082 said:
The helmets are doing about as much as they can right now. Brain injuries occur when the brain makes impact with the inside of the skull. Since the brain is essentially floating inside the skull, padding outside the skull can not do much to change the sudden impact of grey matter against the inside of the skull when the head comes to an abrupt stop.

You're correct, but the new helmets are said to be safer. In other words, all helmets provide the same minimal baseline of protection, but other helmets (I'm assuming the newer models) give you additional protection on top of that baseline requirement.

I don't know, I guess the older I get the more I realize how important it is to protect your dome. I just bought myself a helmet for snowboarding after like 9-10 years of not doing so.