Word of Muth: Giants O-Line vs. Cowboys

VACowboy

Reaction score
And why did everyone (even during the game) say the Giants are legit Super Bowl contenders? Most people picked the Giants in the NFC East.
Be careful saying stuff like that. You'll get pegged as a delusional New York media sycophant.:laugh:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not me..... He has 2 rings that were earned by his D and some magic rabbit foots luck.....
Yeah, like I said, not me either.

And you're right about the D. How they held Brady and Moss--who were seemingly scoring 40-50 points regularly--to 14 points, is mind-boggling.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
You should read the whole article again then. He said Pugh and Flowers played just fine.

He just hammered Hart. We did damage up and down their line.

Further poor OL play is the norm not the exception in the NFL.

I read the article just fine. In fact you should look at your own quote, Flowers was not great just not the disaster that Hart was. Pugh was the only one who played above average. Everything below average is incompetence IMO.

And your assertion that "poor" OL play is the norm in the NFL is ridiculous. There are only a few teams with poor or worse OLs, the majority are average.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I read the article just fine. In fact you should look at your own quote, Flowers was not great just not the disaster that Hart was. Pugh was the only one who played above average. Everything below average is incompetence IMO.

And your assertion that "poor" OL play is the norm in the NFL is ridiculous. There are only a few teams with poor or worse OLs, the majority are average.

So his saying Flowers played okay and that he was a starting quality OT means below average to you? He didn't comment on Richburg.

And the poor OL play is being discussed in SI and elsewhere.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/12/t...-giants-seattle-seahawks-week-1-no-touchdowns

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/25/...so-bad-seahawks-week-3-cowboys-ravens-bengals

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/ct-nfl-offensive-line-crisis-20170913-story.html

In fact the discussion has moved on from whether or not it is the case to why it is the case.

Bengals, Seahawks, Texans, Jets, and Saints all had terrible line play that I saw. Only 9 teams are averaging over 4 YPC. 13 teams gave up 3 or more sacks week 1.

There are a ton of bad lines out there.

sbark

Reaction score
Dang.....we have to play them again, Now their O-Line coach has a "to do list" :), before this article--probably didnt know anything was wrong LOL

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
That review kinda kills the buzz on how well our D played. The main point of the article was that Giants OL was not just horrible, they were blatantly incompetent.
I don't think someone watching that with a rational viewpoint can logically think that the state Giants' OL situation was not a factor.

manster4ever

Reaction score
That review kinda kills the buzz on how well our D played. The main point of the article was that Giants OL was not just horrible, they were blatantly incompetent.

It's true. The Gspots Oline gave them NO chance to win whatsoever. LOL!!!!!!!!!

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
As been mentioned, I have also heard people say that OBJ would have drastically altered how this game would have went. I'm not disputing that it was a big loss for the Giants with him out and that he makes them alot better.

The bottomline is that the Giants will not win with that offensive line, no matter who they line up at the skill positions.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I don't think someone watching that with a rational viewpoint can logically think that the state Giants' OL situation was not a factor.

I said we knew they were horrible, I just did not realize how completely inept they were.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw several holds on the Giants as well.
They made up for incompetence by holding, holding, holding. If the refs had forced them to quit holding, the Cowboys would have had 20 sacks.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Eli is dealing with possibly even worse than what Tony had to deal with for a couple of years. Except at least he has a very strong defense.
Kind of feel sorry for him..............

nah
:laugh::grin:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Once Eli Manning has to work with what Tony did for the majority of his career we'd see just how average and underwhelming Eli is as a QB. Tony was twice the QB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This DLine is good(not great) but could be very good by the time we get all our pieces together!

Best first two levels of the D the Cowboys have had this century! That doesn't mean they won't give up points, every team does. Encouraging sign that on that time consuming drive that the Cowboys only gave up 3, past Cow D's would've given up the touchdown. This D made plays to prevent the touchdown .and I'll take that no matter how bad the other teams offense is.

Don't come at me with the crap we had with Ware and Company

Not with Spears and Canty(weak links), Bradie James and the model. Please

Can't, James and Spears had solid careers.....not sure I would call them weak links.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Once Eli Manning has to work with what Tony did for the majority of his career we'd see just how average and underwhelming Eli is as a QB. Tony was twice the QB.

Eli very likely has been the most overrated player of my lifetime. Romo was probably the most underrated. It's the combination of both factors that allowed so many discussions over the years about who was better. If either of them had been properly regarded Romo wouldn't have had to suffer the indignity of being compared with that clown.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Eli very likely has been the most overrated player of my lifetime. Romo was probably the most underrated. It's the combination of both factors that allowed so many discussions over the years about who was better. If either of them had been properly regarded Romo wouldn't have had to suffer the indignity of being compared with that clown.

Sometimes the truth just can't be ignored any longer...

diefree666

Reaction score
This DLine is good(not great) but could be very good by the time we get all our pieces together!

Best first two levels of the D the Cowboys have had this century! That doesn't mean they won't give up points, every team does. Encouraging sign that on that time consuming drive that the Cowboys only gave up 3, past Cow D's would've given up the touchdown. This D made plays to prevent the touchdown .and I'll take that no matter how bad the other teams offense is.

Don't come at me with the crap we had with Ware and Company

Not with Spears and Canty(weak links), Bradie James and the model. Please

considering you were a card carrying member of the Romo haters club your football judgement is at best questionable.

The 2009 Defense was VERY good. Your memory is VERY convenient.

The 2007 Defense was not as good but still pretty good. Canty was certainly better then you want to admit. We got a lot of pressure on the QB with Deware having a great season and Ellis giving him support on the other side; the middle of the line was good as well. The real problem was our ILB. Even the secondary was pretty good; Hamlin having a career year. Sadly I think the problem was Wade not being able to concentrate on D because of being the HC. His first year there he was not able to give the time he was able to the next two years. Which then of course ended up him losing the team in 2010.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Of course it was a factor.

But we heard time after time this offseason how the Cowboy defensive line was one of the worst (if not the worst) in the NFL.

And if that were the case this battle (between the Giant OL and the Cowboys DL) should have been much more of a "wash."

But it was not a wash. The Cowboy DL clearly dominated.

Maybe... Just maybe... It's not as bad as what some fans perceived it to be (ahem).

Eddie

Reaction score
I have no problem beating up on a bad OL.

Long year for the Gnats.

Let's see how we do against the Bronx.