Word of Muth: Giants O-Line vs. Cowboys

diefree666

Reaction score
Of course it was a factor.

But we heard time after time this offseason how the Cowboy defensive line was one of the worst (if not the worst) in the NFL.

And if that were the case this battle (between the Giant OL and the Cowboys DL) should have been much more of a "wash."

But it was not a wash. The Cowboy DL clearly dominated.

Maybe... Just maybe... It's not as bad as what some fans perceived it to be (ahem).

Our D line was better than many thought and the Giants O line was worse than many thought.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Yeah, opponents and matchups matter a lot. You have to mentally discount Lawrence's performance because he was facing a terrible player. The good news is, Lawrence completely dominated that matchup, which is what you'd expect a good player to do in that situation. But you can't really tell how good until you see him against better competition.

We have seen him plenty against good competition. He is nothing more than average in those match ups.

Gameover

Reaction score
considering you were a card carrying member of the Romo haters club your football judgement is at best questionable.

The 2009 Defense was VERY good. Your memory is VERY convenient.

The 2007 Defense was not as good but still pretty good. Canty was certainly better then you want to admit. We got a lot of pressure on the QB with Deware having a great season and Ellis giving him support on the other side; the middle of the line was good as well. The real problem was our ILB. Even the secondary was pretty good; Hamlin having a career year. Sadly I think the problem was Wade not being able to concentrate on D because of being the HC. His first year there he was not able to give the time he was able to the next two years. Which then of course ended up him losing the team in 2010.
2009 was very good! Good enough to win it all.

I said the front 7 is the best the Cowboys have had this century. I said that largely because we're far superior at the LB spots.

That secondary wasn't good in 2007
Ant Henry
J Reeves
Roy Williams
Bradie James
Newman

Too many weak spots.

I'm also the guy who picked the Cowboys to finish 11-5 in 2014. When everybody else were saying 8 wins would be great

I'm the guy who said we would win 12 games with a rookie Quarterback in 2016! Back when DWFJC was worried about the defense!

So my football knowledge isn't all bad!

14-2 and Super Bowl champions in 2017

Gameover

Reaction score
A defense's performance in the postseason is kinda important if you're trying to win it all.

That team was doomed by Garrett's play calling

2nd in total yards, 14th in points scored

Even that out, and the Cowboys are a 13-3 team with home field in playoffs w a dominant defense

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That team was doomed by Garrett's play calling

2nd in total yards, 14th in points scored

Even that out, and the Cowboys are a 13-3 team with home field in playoffs w a dominant defense
That year, the Cowboys were 5th in yards per drive, 13th in points per drive, and 29th in average starting line of scrimmage. Their scoring didn't match their yards largely because they always faced a long field. They faced a long field largely because they were 28th in the league in takeaways.

You can really see this when you note that they were 2nd in total yards, but 18th in drives that reached the red zone. They never had short fields.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That year, the Cowboys were 5th in yards per drive, 13th in points per drive, and 29th in average starting line of scrimmage. Their scoring didn't match their yards largely because they always faced a long field. They faced a long field largely because they were 28th in the league in takeaways.

You can really see this when you note that they were 2nd in total yards, but 18th in drives that reached the red zone. They never had short fields.

b-b-b-b-b-b-but PLAYCALLING!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Maybe... Just maybe... It's not as bad as what some fans perceived it to be (ahem).
It should take more than one game against one of the worst OL in football to rinse out what should still be a sour taste in our mouth after the playoff loss to Green Bay.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
My takeaway from all this- the Cowboys are set up for long term success because they invested heavily in the offensive line.

The Giants went out to get Eli Manning all kinds of weapons as he enters the twilight of his career, but forgot the five guys in front of him are replacement level starters; at best.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
That review kinda kills the buzz on how well our D played. The main point of the article was that Giants OL was not just horrible, they were blatantly incompetent.
Our defense just needs to follow it up this week with a solid performance.

Reactions: BAT

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
My takeaway from all this- the Cowboys are set up for long term success because they invested heavily in the offensive line.

The Giants went out to get Eli Manning all kinds of weapons as he enters the twilight of his career, but forgot the five guys in front of him are replacement level starters; at best.
What Jerry used to do! Those NYG fans can eat a pickle. Their brain trust is Jerry circa early this decade.
Get ready for many years of cellar dwelling with that team.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It should take more than one game against one of the worst OL in football to rinse out what should still be a sour taste in our mouth after the playoff loss to Green Bay.

Agreed.

But the first game gave a glimpse of a better than average DL.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
We don't need to qualify any sacks we get... other teams don't do that when they pad their stats against inferior competition (NE I am looking at you).

We beat up on a bad OL. Good. They did what they were supposed to do lol. It was a pleasant change of pace from the times Eli has smoked our secondary in the past lol

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We don't need to qualify any sacks we get... other teams don't do that when they pad their stats against inferior competition (NE I am looking at you).

We beat up on a bad OL. Good. They did what they were supposed to do lol. It was a pleasant change of pace from the times Eli has smoked our secondary in the past lol

That's right.

Instead we get excuses for how well the Cowboy dline played.