World Cup

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't underestimate Croatia they are going to win on Sunday. France will choked it away like they always do. Croatia midfield which is superior to France will control the game and provide service to their forwards. Croatia defense is actually pretty good which will limit French chances.

Wow, its kinda rare for someone to make an analysis and get just about everything wrong. Nice work!

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I said last week. The semifinal of France-Belgium should have been the final. Those were the 2 best teams this tourney. France with overwhelming talent on the field. Give an assist to their liberal immigration policies. I think the rest of Europe may have to open their borders to fleeing africans in order to compete.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
As I said last week. The semifinal of France-Belgium should have been the final. Those were the 2 best teams this tourney. France with overwhelming talent on the field. Give an assist to their liberal immigration policies. I think the rest of Europe may have to open their borders to fleeing africans in order to compete.

If you really look at the game as a whole Croatia dominated France except where it counts on the scoreboard. France first 2 goals should not have counted which turned the game around. Griezman dives and refs gave a free kick. Then Persic hand ball was a bad call In my opinion. Experts around the world said it was a bad call. You don't decide a game on a questionable handball. The guy goes up to kick the ball with is foot . As he was coming down his hand moves down and hits the ball. Up 2 Croatia had to open it up leaving France to score 2 more. What would have happened if Croatia scores first in that game? France on this day had things go their way. You discredit Croatia but things could have been much different. It's one game anything happens.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score

Croatia would have beaten Belgium. Belgium is all glitter but when it counts they don't show up. There defense meh.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
There was nothing awful about the Croatia GK. Those 2 France goals were beauties. No keeper was going to stop them.
ESPN gave him a 6: Guardian did likewise. L'Equipe a 3:

GK Danijel Subasic, 6 -- Produced a couple of key saves and his ball distribution was very accurate, but he could have been positioned better for one or two of France's goals.

Danijel Subasic Conceded four, true, but cannot be blamed for the first two. Slow to react to Mbappé’s goal, though. 6

L'equipe Danijel Subasic didn't have his greatest night in the Croatian goal, reflected by L'Equipe rating him at just three out of 10

-------------

I'd have been at a 4. He was very slow to react on two of the goals and that Pogba strike was nice but not something that gets by most world class keepers IMHO.

If you are Croatia and playing an attack based game you need your GK to come up big and he didn't.
I thought it was his worst performance of the tourney.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Croatia would have beaten Belgium. Belgium is all glitter but when it counts they don't show up. There defense meh.
no way that happens. the difference in goal would have seen belgium through.
i loved the way croatia played this tourney but the result they got was more than fair.
they trailed a great deal in the knockout and could have been gone home much earlier.

with hazard finishing 2nd for player of the tourney behind modric and courtois winning keeper of the tourney that would have been too much.

obviously croatia struggled mightily to beat england whereas belgium beat them twice.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If you really look at the game as a whole Croatia dominated France except where it counts on the scoreboard. France first 2 goals should not have counted which turned the game around. Griezman dives and refs gave a free kick. Then Persic hand ball was a bad call In my opinion. Experts around the world said it was a bad call. You don't decide a game on a questionable handball. The guy goes up to kick the ball with is foot . As he was coming down his hand moves down and hits the ball. Up 2 Croatia had to open it up leaving France to score 2 more. What would have happened if Croatia scores first in that game? France on this day had things go their way. You discredit Croatia but things could have been much different. It's one game anything happens.
rofl.. that call was not bad.

greizeman did dive but that call was not bad by any means.
he would not have touched the ball except he threw his hand out to do so and it was on goal.
not red carding him was the proper call same as i argued earlier for Columbia.

croatia dominated midfield but the final 3rd defense was sorely lacking and the finishing wasn't clinical.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
rofl.. that call was not bad.

greizeman did dive but that call was not bad by any means.
he would not have touched the ball except he threw his hand out to do so and it was on goal.

croatia dominated midfield but the final 3rd defense was sorely lacking and the finishing wasn't clinical.

World view on the handball is different that what you think

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44841143
https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...oatia-referee-var-handball-perisic-griezmann/

I can list thousands of expert around the world saying that it was with that stupid call. You don't decide a world cup by a call like that. Changed the whole game. Croatia dominated the midfield and only when they opened up did Croatia get exposed at the back.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The ref looked at the play on video review from every angle. Intention does not factor into the decision. The ball hit his hand and deflected out of bounds. Had his hand not hit the ball, the goalie would have had to clean it up. Croatia also got a fluke goal as a gift from Lloris. Anyway you want to make an excuse, croatia still loses. France-Belgium was a better game.

csirl

Reaction score
The studio panel in my area thought it was a penalty Said it was "hand to ball" (foul) not "ball to hand" (no foul). Hand to ball is a foul even if unintentional - which it appeared to be.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ESPN gave him a 6: Guardian did likewise. L'Equipe a 3:

GK Danijel Subasic, 6 -- Produced a couple of key saves and his ball distribution was very accurate, but he could have been positioned better for one or two of France's goals.

Danijel Subasic Conceded four, true, but cannot be blamed for the first two. Slow to react to Mbappé’s goal, though. 6

L'equipe Danijel Subasic didn't have his greatest night in the Croatian goal, reflected by L'Equipe rating him at just three out of 10

-------------

I'd have been at a 4. He was very slow to react on two of the goals and that Pogba strike was nice but not something that gets by most world class keepers IMHO.

If you are Croatia and playing an attack based game you need your GK to come up big and he didn't.
I thought it was his worst performance of the tourney.

Not surprising that guys who get paid for being critical or being critical of the goalkeeper.

That Pogba strike was from the top of the 18, not from 40 yards out. Most keepers, even the world class ones would not have stopped that shot.

The Mbappe shot was from 24 yards out, not 40. It was a great shot to come back near goal instead of going to the far side. He managed to get it through the defender with pace. There is no shame in a keeper not stopping that shot.

France didn't play a great game, but they played great at critical moments. Those 2 particular goals are more of them playing at a very high level than the keeper playing poorly.

joseephuss

Reaction score

Those 2 plays are not even similar. The hand ball against Colombia was clearly intentional on a shot on target. The Croatian hand ball was on a cross. The Croatian one is never going to be a red card. The Colombian one will always be a red card. If the ref hadn't issued a red card in that situation he would have never been allowed to ref a World Cup again.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
World view on the handball is different that what you think

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44841143
https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...oatia-referee-var-handball-perisic-griezmann/

I can list thousands of expert around the world saying that it was with that stupid call. You don't decide a world cup by a call like that. Changed the whole game. Croatia dominated the midfield and only when they opened up did Croatia get exposed at the back.
ROFL I watched the game and heard the commentators.
On replay they all agreed yea that's a hand ball.
That's broadcasters plus studio crew.
It was clear he moved his hand down toward his knee and hit the ball. His knee never made it up to the ball.
Had they booted him and given the red as they could have, that would have ended it and it would have ruined it.
But it would have been "technically" correct had they done so. The defender threw his hand down at the ball and deflected it away from net.
IT was pretty egregious and really not even borderline.
Anyone telling you that wasn't a handball is either heinously biased or an idiot.
As it was Croatia allowed two more goals and just didn't defend or mind the net well enough to win.

But again yes the Griezman deal was a dive. He's a slimy little dude.
Croatia wasn't very good on set piece defense and it was an own goal.

Croatia were fortunate to ride an easy side of the bracket and trailed in virtually every knock out round game.
Croatians crying in their beer make zero sense.
They outperformed expectations and should be quite proud.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Those 2 plays are not even similar. The hand ball against Colombia was clearly intentional on a shot on target. The Croatian hand ball was on a cross. The Croatian one is never going to be a red card. The Colombian one will always be a red card. If the ref hadn't issued a red card in that situation he would have never been allowed to ref a World Cup again.
lol what are are you talking about: lol.. a cross. it was past the frenchman and headed toward goal.
perisic was in the air and he raised his leg and lowered his hand, it hit his hand deflecting it away from goal.
their was a croatian on post behind him but who knows if he knew that.

very much like the columbia game the player was trying to get to the ball and threw his hand out
this was more bang bang but both plays were clear on replay.
hand ball. to the spot.
i disagreed with a red card 3 mins in but the penalty there was clear, same as here.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The studio panel in my area thought it was a penalty Said it was "hand to ball" (foul) not "ball to hand" (no foul). Hand to ball is a foul even if unintentional - which it appeared to be.
Stated better than I could have but yes the obvious truth.
His hand moved to the ball not the other way around which anyone with eyes could see on replay and the French players saw LIVE
Which is why Giroud begged for the call real-time the Ref called for VAR and reversed his own decision after careful consideration.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not surprising that guys who get paid for being critical or being critical of the goalkeeper.

That Pogba strike was from the top of the 18, not from 40 yards out. Most keepers, even the world class ones would not have stopped that shot.

The Mbappe shot was from 24 yards out, not 40. It was a great shot to come back near goal instead of going to the far side. He managed to get it through the defender with pace. There is no shame in a keeper not stopping that shot.

France didn't play a great game, but they played great at critical moments. Those 2 particular goals are more of them playing at a very high level than the keeper playing poorly.
Correct. just outside the 18 yard box slightly off center and after he had been blocked.
The GK only needed to play half the box and never even moved the proper direction.
It was not a good look.

I played GK. That was pretty poor play. Pogba was blocked on a very hard right footed shot and then got a clean left footed shot on the rebound on target.
It was nice but again the highest level keepers in the world should save that.
The Keeper was ironically further to his right (where the shot went) and slid away from it on the rebound even tho he had a defender to take away that side.
He literally stepped away and was caught dead to rights, not able to move back that direction.

Poor GK play, I assure you.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Correct. just outside the 18 yard box slightly off center and after he had been blocked.
The GK only needed to play half the box and never even moved the proper direction.
It was not a good look.

I played GK. That was pretty poor play. Pogba was blocked on a very hard right footed shot and then got a clean left footed shot on the rebound on target.
It was nice but again the highest level keepers in the world should save that.
The Keeper was ironically further to his right (where the shot went) and slid away from it on the rebound even tho he had a defender to take away that side.
He literally stepped away and was caught dead to rights, not able to move back that direction.

Poor GK play, I assure you.
And the Mbappe goal well well above the circle outside the 18. And it was hardly a screamer.
It was basically to the same spot as the Pogba strike detailing that goalie wasn't very good going to that corner.

Had the keeper gotten close or there been a deflection it would look better but he really was left flat footed and dead to rights on both.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the Mbappe goal well well above the circle outside the 18. And it was hardly a screamer.
It was basically to the same spot as the Pogba strike detailing that goalie wasn't very good going to that corner.

Had the keeper gotten close or there been a deflection it would look better but he really was left flat footed and dead to rights on both.

Sorry, but if you give a world class striker a free shot at that distance, he's going to beat the goalie more times than naught. I think the Croatia defense was more to blame on the Mbappe goal that the goalie. They had 3 guys standing around watching.

The Pogba goal was a great ball strike. It bent around Modric and found the corner. It was yet another lazy play by the Croatia defense. Modric , of all people, could have made a much better effort. He looked more interested in protecting his nutts than challenging the shot. The goalie clearly did not see the rebound shot.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Coulda shoulda woulda........

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
ROFL I watched the game and heard the commentators.
On replay they all agreed yea that's a hand ball.
That's broadcasters plus studio crew.
It was clear he moved his hand down toward his knee and hit the ball. His knee never made it up to the ball.
Had they booted him and given the red as they could have, that would have ended it and it would have ruined it.
But it would have been "technically" correct had they done so. The defender threw his hand down at the ball and deflected it away from net.
IT was pretty egregious and really not even borderline.
Anyone telling you that wasn't a handball is either heinously biased or an idiot.
As it was Croatia allowed two more goals and just didn't defend or mind the net well enough to win.

But again yes the Griezman deal was a dive. He's a slimy little dude.
Croatia wasn't very good on set piece defense and it was an own goal.

Croatia were fortunate to ride an easy side of the bracket and trailed in virtually every knock out round game.
Croatians crying in their beer make zero sense.
They outperformed expectations and should be quite proud.

You must have been watching Fox sports or ESPN LOL. Listen to the pundits outside the US around the world. That was a call that should never have been made in a World Cup final. Look at the amount of time that Ref took to decide, that alone should tell you he ain't sure. France and Fifa are in bed together,and always have been.