World Cup

csirl

Reaction score
You must have been watching Fox sports or ESPN LOL. Listen to the pundits outside the US around the world. That was a call that should never have been made in a World Cup final. Look at the amount of time that Ref took to decide, that alone should tell you he ain't sure. France and Fifa are in bed together,and always have been.

I was watching outside the US and the opinion was its a penalty. Pundits included one of the greatest players of his generation, another who played in WC final and won Champions League plus an ex-pro who is one of the best international journalists.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
As I said last week. The semifinal of France-Belgium should have been the final. Those were the 2 best teams this tourney. France with overwhelming talent on the field. Give an assist to their liberal immigration policies. I think the rest of Europe may have to open their borders to fleeing africans in order to compete.
Damn. I think you'll find that no European country has borders that are closed to 'fleeing Africans'. If Africans are that useful to have, why has no African nation ever got anywhere near winning a World Cup? Large scale ignorance my friend.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Damn. I think you'll find that no European country has borders that are closed to 'fleeing Africans'. If Africans are that useful to have, why has no African nation ever got anywhere near winning a World Cup? Large scale ignorance my friend.

Really? Italy is turning boats of them away. Its hard not to notice that France had 15 players of African decent on their world cup squad. Africa can't produce a champion b/c of much of the continent is a corrupt mess of chaos, war, and poverty...... hence the flood of refugees seeking new homes in Europe.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Really? Italy is turning boats of them away. Its hard not to notice that France had 15 players of African decent on their world cup squad. Africa can't produce a champion b/c of much of the continent is a corrupt mess of chaos, war, and poverty...... hence the flood of refugees seeking new homes in Europe.

Italy is turning boats away. Do you know why they are now doing so? Italy basically let everyone into our country in the past. Last year alone they took in nearly 700,000 migrants. Feeding and taking care not only these people but others from prior years is getting financially out of hand. Enough was enough, the country can't afford to keep letting people in like this. Italy has done their part now it's time for other nations to help out.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Congrats to France now on to Qatar. I can’t see 2022 ending in any way other than a disaster. Hot as hell stadiums built by slaves a country that has a strict dress code for women and alcohol mixed with a bunch of wild soccer fans from around the world lol what could go wrong?

I'd very much like it if FIFA moved it away to a proper football country like England or France (would be rather fitting since they won it). The fact that Qatar is allowed to host it is absolutely atrocious considering the problems they have caused lately as well as their human rights record. Additionally, putting it smack in the middle of Winter means you're cutting into the midway point of the major football leagues like the EPL. It's stupid and, frankly, unethical. What's more, the host country has to be at least decent at football. South Africa did well, and they were at least decent at it. Qatar is RUBBISH at football.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'd very much like it if FIFA moved it away to a proper football country like England or France (would be rather fitting since they won it). The fact that Qatar is allowed to host it is absolutely atrocious considering the problems they have caused lately as well as their human rights record. Additionally, putting it smack in the middle of Winter means you're cutting into the midway point of the major football leagues like the EPL. It's stupid and, frankly, unethical. What's more, the host country has to be at least decent at football. South Africa did well, and they were at least decent at it. Qatar is RUBBISH at football.

I mean, if the logic by FIFA is to expand its reach, then what's next? Are they going to have the WC in Tonga or Fiji next?

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score

Qatar is going to buy a team. Offer star players money to be citizens and play in WC 2022

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I was watching outside the US and the opinion was its a penalty. Pundits included one of the greatest players of his generation, another who played in WC final and won Champions League plus an ex-pro who is one of the best international journalists.
it's clear when someone had a horridly bad prediction, backs that with insane whining after the fact and refuses to let it go that the guy isn't bad he's just being emotional.

the us broadcast employed guus hiddink and hernan crespo... they had guys who knew what they were talking about. lol.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I mean, if the logic by FIFA is to expand its reach, then what's next? Are they going to have the WC in Tonga or Fiji next?
it's will draw far fewer eyes in the US because it will go head to head with BOTH NFL and NBA plus collegiate versions of those sports which keep the TV fed daily..........
terrible timing.
and i don't see many americans wanting to visit qatar.
americans had highest number of visitors for russia even tho team bombed out and failed to go.

bad financial decision imho.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
it's will draw far fewer eyes in the US because it will go head to head with BOTH NFL and NBA plus collegiate versions of those sports which keep the TV fed daily..........
terrible timing.
and i don't see many americans wanting to visit qatar.
americans had highest number of visitors for russia even tho team bombed out and failed to go.

bad financial decision imho.

Exactly, and that's the other sticky wicket they've caused. Their viewership will be dreadful, and it's not in the prime international football spot. The Middle East is about the stupidest place you can play a WC unless all the stadiums are domed. Other than that, you're completely screwing yourself. I think they should revote on who gets the WC. Heck, Australia would be a better choice.

csirl

Reaction score
As I said last week. The semifinal of France-Belgium should have been the final. Those were the 2 best teams this tourney. France with overwhelming talent on the field. Give an assist to their liberal immigration policies. I think the rest of Europe may have to open their borders to fleeing africans in order to compete.

A lot of European countries have ties to Africa via former colonies - many only gained independence in the mid 20th century. Much of the immigration was post WW2 - its not recent. Many of the players of African origin are 2nd or 3rd generation.

csirl

Reaction score
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/sports/soccer/france-world-cup-kylian-mbappe.html

Interesting article from NY Times regarding the French players of African origin. 8 of the French squad come from a particular part of Paris.

Article mentions that players born in this part of Paris also played for 4 African teams in the WC Finals (I assume using the "grandparent rule"). So it appears the Africans are recruiting French players as opposed to the French recruiting Africans!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/sports/soccer/france-world-cup-kylian-mbappe.html

Interesting article from NY Times regarding the French players of African origin. 8 of the French squad come from a particular part of Paris.

Article mentions that players born in this part of Paris also played for 4 African teams in the WC Finals (I assume using the "grandparent rule"). So it appears the Africans are recruiting French players as opposed to the French recruiting Africans!

Netlfix has a good documentary called "Concrete Football" which delves into French urban areas where these kids of african descent play. Its the equivalent of what happens here on basketball courts in urban areas.

African migration is an ongoing thing for Europe in general. Italy is starting to turn the boats away.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

With the concentration of talent being so great the best players play for France and the lesser players play for Africans nations.
When you take a massive impoverished area and feed it a sport as it's main avenue of a good life as well as entertainment then this is what we see.
The mix plus the access to high level European clubs at young ages make for a beautiful mix of talent development.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the concentration of talent being so great the best players play for France and the lesser players play for Africans nations.
When you take a massive impoverished area and feed it a sport as it's main avenue of a good life as well as entertainment then this is what we see.
The mix plus the access to high level European clubs at young ages make for a beautiful mix of talent development.

While these are impoverished areas relative to the rest of France, its quite peaceful and nice compared to where they came from.......its all relative. The same thing is happening in Belgium.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
While these are impoverished areas relative to the rest of France, its quite peaceful and nice compared to where they came from.......its all relative. The same thing is happening in Belgium.
it's happened for 50 years in America, lol.
that is why we have the best athletes in the world in basically every other major sport.
poor kids dont have iphone Xs and PS4s and hide inside the huuse all day.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
You must have been watching Fox sports or ESPN LOL. Listen to the pundits outside the US around the world. That was a call that should never have been made in a World Cup final. Look at the amount of time that Ref took to decide, that alone should tell you he ain't sure. France and Fifa are in bed together,and always have been.

I guess FIFA forgot that rule when it threw Zidane out in the 2006 final