Worst Cowboys HC since we won a championship?

JMech

Reaction score
Garrett was a far better x and o guy. PLUS he played the game and won rings being part of the team in the 90's. Saying that, he still wasn't a leader of men. That's the real issue. Can't fool the players forever. It came to pass last year and doomed us. I would welcome a poll. Campo, for those of us that remember him as the HC, was far and away the proverbial turd in the head coaching punch bowl...a black eye for the franchise. WORST HIRE EVER. Makes Switzer look smart and that's sayin something.

Campo was a defensive coach with the Cowboys, brought in by Jimmy. He was a defensive assistance, a defensive backs coach, defensive coordinator before becoming HC. He may have been a poor HC, but the talent level at the time was horrid.........absolutely horrid. You think he is the turd because of the zero talent level. He was part of one of the most innovative coaching staffs of its time....before the team lost all of its marbles. Jimmy wouldnt have done better with that collection of retreads.

Garrett was a backup on a SuperBowl talent team. He did nothing but hold a friggin clipboard for years. The only reason that Troy thought Garrett was intelligent because by that time he had taken to many blows to the head and everyone looked to be genius level. Garrett was a fake, he was an embarrassment, he ruined the careers of many superb players on the roster over his years AND for a nickel I would have my dog pee on his leg. It would be beneath a turd to refer to him as a turd.

Swanny

Reaction score
While we’ve had one constant leading Cowboys Football since our last championship , we’ve had 6 different HC’s unable to take us back to a Super Bowl or even a championship appearance .

How would you rank them during this time frame.

Here’s my order of worst Cowboys HC during this stretch:
Campo
Switzer
Phillips
Gailey
Garrett
Parcells

Not sure how we could place anyone but Campo with the 3 straight 5-11 seasons on the bottom. And Switzer left a mess of the dynasty Jimmy built. Wade left a mess of the team Bill had built. Gailey could possibly be ranked 2nd above Garrett as he probably did as much as anyone with what he had left . Jerry even admits cut him loose too soon.

The reason I rank Garrett that high is based on his record , division titles and playoff wins which the latter two are more than the rest combined. Despite his coaching flaws and dysfunctional situation he helped steer our franchise in a better direction and has helped influence this roster in a greater position to contend.

One of the best measurement of coaching despite records is have you left the team in a better position than when you took over. There’s only 3 HC in Jerry’s era which meet that criteria. Jimmy, Bill and Jason.

From worst to best

Campo
Switzer
Garrett
Wade
Gailey
Parcells

Rayman70

Reaction score
Campo was a defensive coach with the Cowboys, brought in by Jimmy. He was a defensive assistance, a defensive backs coach, defensive coordinator before becoming HC. He may have been a poor HC, but the talent level at the time was horrid.........absolutely horrid. You think he is the turd because of the zero talent level. He was part of one of the most innovative coaching staffs of its time....before the team lost all of its marbles. Jimmy wouldnt have done better with that collection of retreads.

Garrett was a backup on a SuperBowl talent team. He did nothing but hold a friggin clipboard for years. The only reason that Troy thought Garrett was intelligent because by that time he had taken to many blows to the head and everyone looked to be genius level. Garrett was a fake, he was an embarrassment, he ruined the careers of many superb players on the roster over his years AND for a nickel I would have my dog pee on his leg. It would be beneath a turd to refer to him as a turd.
he's never been anything anywhere else since leaving Dallas. It kinda supports what I'm sayin and the facts. He's a positional advisor at USC right now lol...he's NEVER EVER been a HC anywhere after Dallas. If anybody felt, like you do, and he was all that, he would have been a HC at a major program at some point. Great dude, great POSITIONAL COACH..I will give you/him that. No one can take that away from him, but a HC he wasn't. He sucked at it..talent or not. Chan Gailey was much better and more innovative than him. Not even close. Chan got screwed by JJ because he wanted to make more offensive changes to open up the offense and Jerrah said no. I would have loved to have seen what we could have done had he stayed.

Rayman70

Reaction score
From worst to best

Campo
Switzer
Garrett
Wade
Gailey
Parcells
agree. I can't understand those on here that actually defend Dave Campo lol..Thats just unreal. I'm glad he didn't have elite talent..My dad told me something when I was young. Its true today. You don't hand the keys to a sports car TO A TEENAGER knowing full well they never done it before. Its askin for trouble. So I'm glad Jerry just let him "borrow" the keys to a pinto for a while lol..like a placeholder, until we hired better coaches etc.

JMech

Reaction score
he's never been anything anywhere else since leaving Dallas. It kinda supports what I'm sayin and the facts. He's a positional advisor at USC right now lol...he's NEVER EVER been a HC anywhere after Dallas. If anybody felt, like you do, and he was all that, he would have been a HC at a major program at some point. Great dude, great POSITIONAL COACH..I will give you/him that. No one can take that away from him, but a HC he wasn't. He sucked at it..talent or not. Chan Gailey was much better and more innovative than him. Not even close. Chan got screwed by JJ because he wanted to make more offensive changes to open up the offense and Jerrah said no. I would have loved to have seen what we could have done had he stayed.

I never said that Campo was HC material. I agree, he never was. But I am clear that he is still rated above Garrett in my books. Dave would have done more with the talent that Garrett had.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I never said that Campo was HC material. I agree, he never was. But I am clear that he is still rated above Garrett in my books. Dave would have done more with the talent that Garrett had.
Probably so. Garrett was probably our worse Game Day coach but his strength was influencing Jerry in assembling more talent.

Only 3 HC in Jerry era have been able to accumulate enough talent to contend . Jimmy, Bill and Jason.

Jason probably should have been GM instead of HC.

cern

Reaction score
I will never understand why people think jason should have been a gm, not a coach. He has never done anything to suggest he would have been a good gm. Nothing at all.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I will never understand why people think jason should have been a gm, not a coach. He has never done anything to suggest he would have been a good gm. Nothing at all.

They want to believe that Garrett caused Jerry to draft better and stop doing wacky ALL THE FIRST ROUNDERS FOR A BROKEN RECEIVER!!!!! trades because Garrett was around at the same time.

JMech

Reaction score
Probably so. Garrett was probably our worse Game Day coach but his strength was influencing Jerry in assembling more talent.

Only 3 HC in Jerry era have been able to accumulate enough talent to contend . Jimmy, Bill and Jason.

Jason probably should have been GM instead of HC.

You're giving him too much credit for assembling talent. That would be the scouting group. Romo was a free agent selected by the coaching staff and Garrett had nothing to do with it.

To put Garrett in the same sentence as Jimmy and Bill is a travesty.

plasticman

Reaction score
Brian stewart absolutely was the Defensive Coordinator. I have no idea where you are getting the idea he wasn't.

yes I know when Garrett was hired. No idea about your made up comment about what wade said but wade I think was responsible for hiring skip peete and ray sherman.
Brian Stewart was not there in 2009 or 2010, the year the Cowboys went 1-7 in the first 8 games and Wade was fired.

Even if a DC was there the point is that Jason Garrett reported directly to Jerry Jones. Jason Garrett was never subject to Wade Philip's approval. This fundamental lack of coordination, lack of any attempt to use the running game, and poor gameplanning led to the destruction of a team that should have competed.

Jerry's stamp was felt on the very first offensive drive of the 2010 season. The Cowboys took the ball to the Commander's 30 something when they suddenly sent in Rookie WR Dez Bryant who had been hurt all preseason. He never played a single down of preseason. In fact, he had been suspended during his last college season. They lined him up against a Pro Bowl DB. Then, they threw a sideline pass.... twice.

Scoring was critical, it the Cowboy O-line had suffered injuries in the preseason. However, Jerry wanted to show how brilliant he was, overcoming his mistake in not selecting a previous troubled WR, Randy Moss.

Dez was going to be a great addition but it was the wrong time, wrong plays. It cost the Cowboys a score in the opening drive and it effected the game's outcome.

That was Jerry Jones. He may not have designed specific plays but he influenced the gameplan and the playcalling

cern

Reaction score
They want to believe that Garrett caused Jerry to draft better and stop doing wacky ALL THE FIRST ROUNDERS FOR A BROKEN RECEIVER!!!!! trades because Garrett was around at the same time.
He failed as an oc and failed as a hc.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Brian Stewart was not there in 2009 or 2010, the year the Cowboys went 1-7 in the first 8 games and Wade was fired.

Even if a DC was there the point is that Jason Garrett reported directly to Jerry Jones. Jason Garrett was never subject to Wade Philip's approval. This fundamental lack of coordination, lack of any attempt to use the running game, and poor gameplanning led to the destruction of a team that should have competed.

Jerry's stamp was felt on the very first offensive drive of the 2010 season. The Cowboys took the ball to the Commander's 30 something when they suddenly sent in Rookie WR Dez Bryant who had been hurt all preseason. He never played a single down of preseason. In fact, he had been suspended during his last college season. They lined him up against a Pro Bowl DB. Then, they threw a sideline pass.... twice.

Scoring was critical, it the Cowboy O-line had suffered injuries in the preseason. However, Jerry wanted to show how brilliant he was, overcoming his mistake in not selecting a previous troubled WR, Randy Moss.

Dez was going to be a great addition but it was the wrong time, wrong plays. It cost the Cowboys a score in the opening drive and it effected the game's outcome.

That was Jerry Jones. He may not have designed specific plays but he influenced the gameplan and the playcalling

Umm just admit you were wrong. Brian Stewart was Wade's DC and he came with him from SD. They scapegoated Stewart and Bruce Read...(Two Wade hires) after the loss to philly in 08.

Wade took the reigns of the defense in 09 after firing stewart.

cml750

Reaction score
Garrett takes the cake and it is not even close. Campo could have easily achieved Garrett like records with that amount of talent especially at the QB position. Garrett would have likely have been winless with the talent-less teams Campo had. Campo could at least manage a game from the sidelines while Garrett is one of the most clueless coaches in league history.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I don't know how well Campo could have done with a good roster because he never got one, and God knows he didn't have roster control.

With bad enough talent coaching stops mattering. At some point the game-plan just becomes a list of things that won't happen. Everyone hates him for how bad those teams were, but he was largely irrelevant.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If we are basing this purely on results from best to worst:

Garrett
Wade
Parcells
Gailey
Campo

This cant be both ways fellas...………...if judging on results, then Switzer is the best since he actually is walking around with a ring right now.

Now if the argument is what talent level they had to work with, then Campo is dam near the top. Dude had basically expansion level rosters and went 5-11 three straight years.

Garrett went 8-8 three straight years with a legit franchise QB in Romo and other probowlers on the roster as well.

So Campo with 5 Ws and a trash roster and Garrett with 8 Ws and multiple probowl roster.

Yet Garrett is supposedly the best since Landry...……..Baaaahaaaabaaaa………….only in the mind of his fanboys, all three of them left here.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Which coaches in Jerry era influenced building the best teams and most talent? Jimmy, Bill and Jason

Garrett, by far...……….but that is the whole point bro, you just nailed it.

Garrett by far had the best rosters of all the previous head coaches and had way more time as well, almost a decade while everybody else got 3 years on average.

And what did he do with the best rosters and a decade of time...…………..NOTHING!!!!

That is the legacy of Jason Garrett...……...Did very little with what he was given.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Garrett takes the cake and it is not even close. Campo could have easily achieved Garrett like records with that amount of talent especially at the QB position. Garrett would have likely have been winless with the talent-less teams Campo had. Campo could at least manage a game from the sidelines while Garrett is one of the most clueless coaches in league history.
When you look at the rosters each had, and compare the 5-11 Campo teams to the three more win Garrett teams it's kind of comical.

Both feasted on the fact that the Commanders have stunk for quite some time, eachs W/L record would be considerably worse.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett, by far...……….but that is the whole point bro, you just nailed it.

Garrett by far had the best rosters of all the previous head coaches and had way more time as well, almost a decade while everybody else got 3 years on average.

And what did he do with the best rosters and a decade of time...…………..NOTHING!!!!

That is the legacy of Jason Garrett...……...Did very little with what he was given.
I understand . Bill built some similarly talented teams and didn’t have anymore success. Neither did Wade with what Bill built.

The bigger point is without that influence of assembling talent we wouldn’t have been as competitive as we were.

I always said we were talent dependent. I’m just not sure we had enough talent to go further.

But at least you agree Jason was one of our better team builders this era. That’s why I supported him despite his coaching flaws.