Worst Cowboys HC since we won a championship?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
im sorry but calling all of them worst is wrong..putting all the coaches in order from good to bad would be beter and to all the garett hayters hes like what 2nd all time on the win list, I klnow hes no parcells or Jimmy landry etc etc
by far Campo was the wrost with Gaily a close second but Switzer just what he didn in college and hada a SB ring regardless of the sitaion he took over takes him off the list as well..

Truth be told in the All-time DC history we have less coahes then many teams and only have truly two that were BAD, is a positive not negative..

my list in order of best to last

Landry
Jimmy
parcells
Garett
Switzer
Phillips
Gaily
Campo

that all the coaches we've had since 1960 is crazy
Yep . Our HC total as a franchise is skewed with Landry’s 29 years.

My focus of this thread was measuring our futility among our HC’s since our last championship.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett by far was the worst. He had better rosters and the better part of a decade to do something.
Yea I can see how some would feel that way if they had higher expectations with the teams and talent we had.

I guess in the next couple years we’re fixing to find out if it was more about coaching or talent in key areas of weakness.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good question. Probably cause of Jerry’s meddling and distractions from dysfunctional situation.

Id look for McCarthy to improve on 8-8 but ultimately he’ll need to improve on the results in 2016 and 2018 and overcome Jerry. Something the rest of these coaches aren’t able to accomplish.
The real question is McC catching Booger at the right moment in his life? Has he learned? Did the pain of letting his chosen one walk teach him anything?

The real problem will not go away until the man who realizes he is that recognizes that.

I don't know if McC will get it done any more than his predecessors going back 25 years but he was on my short list of two for the immediate future. He did prove, at one time, he could get it done but is he a better coach than Payton, Shanahan, Carroll, Pederson, McVay, Zimmer, LaFleur or even Rivera or Rhule?

kskboys

Reaction score
Campo had no talent whatsoever and cant be properly judged because of it. Garrett had the most talent and the most time and was the biggest failure out of all of them. Garrett 100% is the worst coach and its not even close. I would take Campo or any of them over the horrid Garrett.
IMO, Campo isn't equipped to be a HC, but he did OK w/ what he had. I sorta want to give him a pass due to screwed up circumstances.

kskboys

Reaction score
I was never a big supporter of Garrett’s game day coaching ability which was obviously not a strength of his. But if we’re going to use records and the influence assembling talent he has to be placed closer to the top than bottom. We won’t know until McCarthy results have come in if we should have done more with what he had. That’s still subjective.
If we're going to use records, there is absolutely no point in even having this conversation.

Big_D

Reaction score
Nothing Garrett has ever done puts him ahead of Switzer! That’s a joke. One has a legit resume, multiple championships in college and a super bowl ring and Garrett’s better????? lmao. That’s fantasy world kind of crap right there. JG had zero business being here in the first place. 13 crappy years later and some still defend it? Or arent absolutely POed that they even had to endure it in the first place! That bar really is low. It’s mind boggling.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Guys I know that he won a SB but Switzer was the worst coach we have ever had followed closely by Campo. Switzer didn’t do squat as for as coaching and leadership. As a matter of fact his leadership was so bad he allowed Aikman to be dragged through the mud instead of being a man and putting a stop to BS rumors and gripping going on under his watch. He took dysfunctional to a whole new level. Yes he won a championship but as we all know any coach would have won with that team and coordinators. He actually should have won three.

Campo was just weak minded and that’s surprising being a defensive coach.

kskboys

Reaction score
Campo wasn't good but he was given a poor roster, terrible drafts and bad asset management by Jerry Jones(Galloway trade) which stripped the team of two first rounders.

I thought Gailey got the short stick big time here.
Garrett was given a decade to build the team with a decent core to start with and managed two wins in the post season.

Phillips was a breath of fresh air for the team post Parcells but he was too lax + Garrett over his shoulders and Jerry was overruling Phillips on fines etc.

Bad coaches in no order: Campo Phillips
Average coaches in no order: Switzer, Garrett, Gailey
Decent: Parcells
Why do you consider Switzer above Campo and Phillips?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we're going to use records, there is absolutely no point in even having this conversation.
Records isn’t all I was using. I’ve stated that. Just like game day coaching isn’t all I was using.

Who this era has helped influence Jerry with better drafts, personnel decisions and team building is a big part of it with me.

In the end without enough talent it’s not going to matter who’s coaching.

kskboys

Reaction score
Records isn’t all I was using. I’ve stated that. Just like game day coaching isn’t all I was using.

Who this era has helped influence Jerry with better drafts, personnel decisions and team building is a big part of it with me.

In the end without enough talent it’s not going to matter who’s coaching.
Agree. The team's record during their tenure is a factor, just down on the list. Campo would be the huge exception.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Garrett.

Every year of his tenure had at least 2 or 3 games that only a HC of his ilk could find a way to lose- whereas, the Campo teams were fortunate to win any ballgames whatsoever.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Read the OP wrong. Thought it included Switzer in 95. Ie post Jimmy tenure, not 96 on.
If 96 on then bad
Sorry if that was misleading. The intent of my thought was discussing the seasons and coaching SINCE our last championship.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett’s best coaching years were 2011-2013 going 8-8 while rebuilding or retooling the team after 2010 collapse. Those were some of our worse defenses in Cowboys history rivaling our early expansion years setting some NFL futility marks.

If not for Romo performance and Garrett holding us together thru all of the distractions those were probably more like 4 -6 win teams. The fact we contended until the final week it was often spun as disappointing instead of over achieving.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
This is an easy rank for me, some of these coaches did benefit from taking over some talented teams(Switzer and Phillips), while others inherited teams that weren't very good. (Campo, Gailey, Parcells).

Campo- He led the Cowboys through the dark ages with little talent, poor accountability, and bad coaching. He felt like a substitute teacher that was just asked to take the players out for recess and make sure no one did anything crazy.

Gailey- Helped the team rebound after a down year and made the playoffs both years. Talent level was in decline and Gailey didn't do much more to elevate it. Very short tenure.

Garrett- No coach has every done so little with so much talent over 10 years, but did have some regular season success. 8-8 was pretty much the low end so the Cowboys we're mostly competitive. However, it's mind blowing how many times his teams were out coached in critical situations while Jones sat on his hands.

Phillips- Inherited an ascending Parcells squad and took the team to heights not seen in some time. Easy going coach that posted one losing season and one that was a terrible start to the 2010 season. Blame could have easily shifted to Garrett.

Switzer- He inherited a winning team at their peak, won a Super Bowl, posted the best playoff record and best winning percentage out of any of these coaches. Got canned after a 6-10 season while the talent was in decline and after some terrible drafts. Certainly the lack of accountability was well documented but his playoff success makes him number 2. This is when Jerry had balls to fire a Super Bowl winning coach after 4 seasons.

Parcells- Number 1 as he inherited a team that wasn't very good, made them competitive and rebuilt for the next coach. Would have loved to see him stick around another season or two.