Would 2024 McCarthy offense benefit from some GoGo offense packages/formation?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Intriguing proposition to me, anyways. We potentially have the right elements to make it work well... just interested in what others here think.

Cued up to start with the explanation of the offense...

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Our offense has almost zero presnap motion.

It’s BASIC.
We've had 3 different OC's in the time Dak has been QB. All three offensive schemes had the same critique to them - BASIC, NOT IMAGINATIVE etc. Fire McCarthy and hire a new OC and Coach. See if it still remains basic - I suspect that it will but let's not address the real problem. Keep firing OC's.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
You must remember that they kept 70 percent of the previous regimes offense!!!! They changed 30 percent of it!! So the legend of the great kellen Moore/lineman offense remains!!!

Why because of one person, it's beneficial to HIM!

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We've had 3 different OC's in the time Dak has been QB. All three offensive schemes had the same critique to them - BASIC, NOT IMAGINATIVE etc. Fire McCarthy and hire a new OC and Coach. See if it still remains basic - I suspect that it will but let's not address the real problem. Keep firing OC's.
There could be a reason they keep it simple and basic.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I suppose I'm to blame for not asking the question in a more targeted way. Ten posts in, and my intention that there might be some sophisticated conversation about the merits of the GoGo offense given the NFL game, and given the current inventory on the roster appears to have fallen flat. I have no strong opinion either way, mind you, I just genuinely thought it's an interesting enough concept that, when we've little else substantive to talk about, maybe this would prompt some of that kind of thing.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
This offense requires a QB that can read a defense (especially in the second or so after the snap), process that information on the fly, make a sudden decision, and execute. Dak is getting better each year at the first, and he can do the fourth. It is the second and third where he is weak. Therefore; no, this offense would not work with current personnel.

_sturt_

Reaction score
This offense requires a QB that can read a defense (especially in the second or so after the snap), process that information on the fly, make a sudden decision, and execute. Dak is getting better each year at the first, and he can do the fourth. It is the second and third where he is weak. Therefore; no, this offense would not work with current personnel.
Appreciate the substantive response, I really do.

And not to be contrarian, but I just have trouble believing that a FCS QB from Howard originally ran the offense well, but it's too much to expect a starting NFL QB to have the capacity to make it work.

Regarding the formation itself, I'm a little fascinated as I think about how you could build on it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The offense would benefit the most with the addition of a RunRun runningback.
The 2 best Dallas Teams were 2014 & 2016 , both had a good run game, and a good OL.
They also called more runs in those years. Linehan did a good job of when to call a run.

Now the OL is suspect, and at the moment they dont have a heavy duty RB.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Okay, I'm just going to throw a few thoughts out there in response to the OP, and just see what if anything comes back...

• There's a lot of talk in-between games and in-between seasons about running plays that "scheme receivers open." There is that quality to the GoGo. For as long as Cooks is regarded as a deep threat, you have the capacity to keep safeties honest... a requisite principle here.

• Then again, the GoGo would seem to be more about "scheming open" the running game, partially but not completely by virtue of the previous point. You are well-equipped for the offense if you have a halfback who is considered to be a good blocker, and a fullback who is considered to be a decent ball carrier. What you don't want is the more traditional pure runner and pure blocker because that effectively reduces the GoGo to something more like any other 21 or 22 formation.

Right now, Dowdle meets that standard, as does Luepke. Now, maybe neither one of those actually ends up being your primary GoGo backfield... maybe we draft someone who wins the #1 slot in training camp, and maybe we sign Zeke and he ends up edging out Luepke for the other RB role. But I think it's well taken that it's a fit, and could be potentially an even stronger fit.​

• For QB, it's well understood by now that statistically over his career, we win more games when Dak runs and poses that threat to a defense. He's just average in that role by most assessments, but it's not important to be anything more than that where the GoGo is concerned.

Not sure you'd want to do it in any case, but you can't make the GoGo the primary offense because your #2 QB as it stands today is Cooper, and his game seemingly obviously is congruent with a more traditional attack. On the other hand, it would seem to be tailor-made for the #3 guy. Indeed, as long as your #2 is your #2 (and that's another topic for another day... I believe Cooper's probably gone in a trade this summer, as soon as someone's starter goes down in preseason, whether to be the starter there, or to compete for that slot with another #2... ) ... you conceivably could make it so that Lance is one of the three in the backfield on occasion, sometimes as a RB, sometimes as a QB.​

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Intriguing proposition to me, anyways. We potentially have the right elements to make it work well... just interested in what others here think.

Cued up to start with the explanation of the offense...

I think it works in college, when defenses over all are less talented, but in the NFL it probably will be useful to have in bag of tricks, but not base offense. the formations bring another defender closer to the line, and with the defenders being fast, good and smart, they can quickly recoginize a pass vs. run and switch from run defense to pass rush. it would require really good RBs with good blocking ability.

_sturt_

Reaction score
probably will be useful to have in bag of tricks, but not base offense
Agree.

Might consider it worthy of a handful of plays each game, and as long as you have a viable runner at FB.

If you watched the video, you had to notice that the NFL exemplar chosen was a Cowboys TD play, which very loosely could be equated to a GoGo play. I mean, it wasn't run from the unbalanced backfield formation per se, but at the snap of the ball, it was effectively that with the motion man out there.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
From Garrett to Linehan to McCarthy this offense has been a line up and go style. Meaning very little misdirection and they typically only run specific plays out of specific formations and player groupings. The biggest change they need to make is to make their pass/run sets and player groupings the same and then add in some form of misdirection.