Would 2024 McCarthy offense benefit from some GoGo offense packages/formation?

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Appreciate the substantive response, I really do.

And not to be contrarian, but I just have trouble believing that a FCS QB from Howard originally ran the offense well, but it's too much to expect a starting NFL QB to have the capacity to make it work.

Regarding the formation itself, I'm a little fascinated as I think about how you could build on it.
Your QB needs to be a "distributor". This means that he needs to be able to see what the defense is giving him and make adjustments in literally one second or less as the play starts. This is EXACTLY what Dak is bad at. Given a couple of seconds, Dak will usually make the correct decision and he has plenty enough talent and skill to throw the ball where it needs to go. His problem is "processing speed" and this "GoGo" offense does not allow for "a few seconds" to make that decision.

That FCS QB most certainly is not a physically gifted as Dak is, but I'd bet money that he is able to process information quicker.

_sturt_

Reaction score
That FCS QB most certainly is not a physically gifted as Dak is, but I'd bet money that he is able to process information quicker.
Will grant that you raise a good point in that QBs sometimes are not nearly as well regarded sometimes based on their physical attributes only. Cooper Rush out of Central Michigan, I believe it was confirmed, turned out to be the best QB in his draft where information processing was concerned... how ever they assess that.

I would bet money you're shortchanging Dak on that aspect using whatever assessment tool is routinely used. The NFL game is just so much faster--the most common observation of rookies year-in year-out. When you're playing against less than top-tier competition, self-evidently, you don't have to be NFL-sharp in order to be successful... and that's really the flaw in my original reply to you.

But suffice it to say, yes, I think you've identified a key question, and maybe the key question... we just have differing answers to that question.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Intriguing proposition to me, anyways. We potentially have the right elements to make it work well... just interested in what others here think.

Cued up to start with the explanation of the offense...

If we let Tyler Smith play both ways would that help our DLine?