Would 3-years, $100 million get this thing done?

Reaction score
They would have to guarantee at least two thirds of the deal, in the area of $65 million or so.
Given that Wentz and Goff signed extensions with $105M plus in guarentees, there is no way Dak would sign with only $65M

Almost all of the 3 year deal would have no be guaranteed to get his attention.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yes with 33mil guaranteed ..LOL the DC want a longer deal backloaded to make them feel better and Daks camp would luv this deal but want it 100% guaranteed, that wont go well with the FO..thats been the holdup YEARS and Guarantees. They are willing to give dak 33 but not the short deal..

That's why I think the compromise would be guaranteeing those first two years and $66 million.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They would have to guarantee at least two thirds of the deal, in the area of $65 million or so. You would effectively be totally locked in for two of the three years, no matter how things played out. But again, that's the compromise. The team would structure as much of the guarantees into the first two years as they could, giving them the option and the out in the third year of they so choose. Again, that's the compromise.

The alternative right now?

Tagging him at:
  1. $33 million this year
  2. $40 million in 2021
  3. $57 million in 2022
Total cost of that route $130 million. How does my $100 million compromise look now?

Of course, that $130 million isn't guaranteed money, but if Dak would agree to 2/3 guaranteed and Dallas to only control Dak for 3 years, that seems like a reasonable compromise assuming what we think we know about the negotiations is actually the case.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Then there is no advantage whatsoever for the Cowboys.

Other than having him under contract a few more years.

I’m not disagreeing with your reply here. I’m just offering my opinion on what I think it will take. Obviously, I have no idea on what the reality of it is it will be... just guessing

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
exclusive ? why explain the risk on Non excusive ? you can get that for 27-28? what team in their right mind offers 2 firsts and also willing to give dak 34 hes asking? im betting NONE why use the more expensive tag>explain? ill take 2 firsts for dak in heartbeat..no team I know of would try that offer him a big deal and hand us 2 fiorsts????

go ahead explain why we would waste the non exclusive and get him cheaper?

If Dak proves himself further this season ion the tag paying him more for a LTD once they are more comfortable..

If you're willing to risk losing your quarterback and being left to scramble? Sure.

But a team like the Colts are well-stocked, in both cap space and draft picks, and are a quarterback away. If they chose to, they could easily sign Dak away. And then you're back in rebuild mode, scrambling around to find another quarterback and hoping he's not Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course, that $130 million isn't guaranteed money, but if Dak would agree to 2/3 guaranteed and Dallas to only control Dak for 3 years, that seems like a reasonable compromise assuming what we think we know about the negotiations is actually the case.

That's my point.
:thumbup:

blueblood70

Reaction score
If you're willing to risk losing your quarterback and being left to scramble? Sure.

But a team like the Colts are well-stocked, in both cap space and draft picks, and are a quarterback away. If they chose to, they could easily sign Dak away. And then you're back in rebuild mode, scrambling around to find another quarterback and hoping he's not Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook.
not easily , we can match its less risk then you think..to me the Upside is to see where his market is, I sure would like to see who offers 2 firsts for dak and what they propose his new deal is worth..

Gives both sides a reality check/id do this in a heart beat and getting 2 firsts from a team we can use to move up and go grab a marquee first rounder maybe a QB, we can survive a year with a Keenum or Fitz type or get TB etc and use draft capital for a qb 201 , theres options..

I say theres no risk NEFT is best you tag is lower, you see market offers on both sides and in the end you can either get 2 firsts or sign Dak anyway as you match.. you really cant convince me this is the best route if Dak continues to lay hardball..

glimmerman

Reaction score
Sure, it's yet another 'Dak thread'. If you don't like that or don't want to talk about it, you're not required to. But it seems like the most important order of business that the team has right now so I consider it a topic for conversation.

Based on what I'm reading, the holdup at this point is more about years than dollars. Dak and his agent know that the cap, and by extension player salaries, will be going up significantly under the new CBA. And teams like the Eagles and Rams realized that too, and that's why they seemingly rushed to get their quarterbacks signed even when they didn't have to.

Now that they have, those teams can pay more now with the ability to save big later on, or to cut bait if things don't turn out as they had hoped. Wentz' deal is already looking like a bargain, at an average of $32 million a year, and Goff's is heavily front-loaded, giving the Rams an out clause if they choose, or much lower costs down the road. Goff's deal averages $33.5 million a year.

Hypothetically, would you do a deal that pays a bit less than that in exchange for getting at some of that bigger cap money down the line? Is this a deal that works for the Cowboys?

It seems like a shorter deal, for a bit less money, and betting on yourself to get at even bigger money down the road, is a compromise that might finally get this deal done.

Thoughts from those who do want to discuss it?
That’s what I see is he wants short term so he can cash in again after mahomes and others drive it up. I think Daks agent is messing up. But I like it. If it’s a 3 year deal then if he wants to cash out again on one final deal then he can’t set back. He will have to stay improving and on his game or else.

I could see if he wanted 38 or 40 and a long term deal. But him and or his agent is being greedy.

I like 3 years and 100 million. Give him a snoot load up front and guarantee most all of it.

Tussinman

Reaction score
3 years 100 million all guranteed I would be cool with.

Despite Dak having the highest total team cap of any QB (since he has the newest contract) he would be 5th in yearly value which i'm okay with.

Dak and his agent would get the 2023 open market they want. Cowboys have a viable QB and if new management doesn't like him or can't coach them to there standards then 3 years gives them plenty of time to groom his replacement

Basically a win win ? Cowboys get a viable option now with reasonable time for looking for a replacement and Dak and his agent don't get locked up for 5 or 6 years which they don't want with the new TV deal/CBA coming up.

Not only that Dak will only cash out in 2023 if they make playoffs at least 2 of those 3 years regardless (he has to earn the high payday in 2023). If he crashes and burns or it's obvious that the cowboys start grooming a replacement year 2 of the deal then that will hurt his value

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
not easily , we can match its less risk then you think..to me the Upside is to see where his market is, I sure would like to see who offers 2 firsts for dak and what they propose his new deal is worth..

Yes, easily. The Colts have more money than Dallas does already, and they can easily make a whole lot more if they wanted to, for instance, saving $9 million by cutting Jacoby Brissett. And they don't have huge roster needs that they couldn;t use those 1st round picks on anyway, outside of quarterback.

Gives both sides a reality check/id do this in a heart beat and getting 2 firsts from a team we can use to move up and go grab a marquee first rounder maybe a QB, we can survive a year with a Keenum or Fitz type or get TB etc and use draft capital for a qb 201 , theres options..

I say theres no risk NEFT is best you tag is lower, you see market offers on both sides and in the end you can either get 2 firsts or sign Dak anyway as you match.. you really cant convince me this is the best route if Dak continues to lay hardball..

That's cool, I wasn't trying to convince everybody. But there's certainly some measure of risk in a non-exclusive tag, especially from a team that knows they'll be drafting late and after the top quarterbacks are gone anyway.

js66

Reaction score
Someone needs to remind Dak that being the Cowboys QB has so many other perks... His endorsement income opportunities are more, he has no state tax, Dallas compared to other places can be relatively reasonable cost wise and just the title of current/former Dallas Cowboys QB is worth a lot in name recognition alone when you're playing days are done. If we pay him the same as Wentz, Goff and others Dak makes out way ahead. Never mind paying him more.

$90ish million (some movement there), 3 years, full guaranteed. I honestly don't know if anyone else would give him that. Maybe a struggling team like Miami, then when he goes there he has no weapons around him and stinks. From Jerry's side unless there is a high quality backup plan we probably keep Dak no matter what for 2 more years anyways.

With endorsements the past few years and through those 3 years that puts him above $100M in his career. I think this situation is more than fair... if not the transition tag is about $24M and I'd use it, actually hoping someone bites and gives us 2 firsts. If not we have a QB relatively cheap.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Dak doesn't have to prove anything to at least 10 teams in this league and likely more. So a prove-it deal doesn't make sense at all.
I meant in the sense that he is worth the top tier salary. Not in the sense that has to prove he isn’t a flop.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone needs to remind Dak that being the Cowboys QB has so many other perks... His endorsement income opportunities are more, he has no state tax, Dallas compared to other places can be relatively reasonable cost wise and just the title of current/former Dallas Cowboys QB is worth a lot in name recognition alone when you're playing days are done. If we pay him the same as Wentz, Goff and others Dak makes out way ahead. Never mind paying him more.

$90ish million (some movement there), 3 years, full guaranteed. I honestly don't know if anyone else would give him that. Maybe a struggling team like Miami, then when he goes there he has no weapons around him and stinks. From Jerry's side unless there is a high quality backup plan we probably keep Dak no matter what for 2 more years anyways.

With endorsements the past few years and through those 3 years that puts him above $100M in his career. I think this situation is more than fair... if not the transition tag is about $24M and I'd use it, actually hoping someone bites and gives us 2 firsts. If not we have a QB relatively cheap.

You don't get "two firsts" on a transition tag.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 years 100 million all guranteed I would be cool with.

Despite Dak having the highest total team cap of any QB (since he has the newest contract) he would be 5th in yearly value which i'm okay with.

Dak and his agent would get the 2023 open market they want. Cowboys have a viable QB and if new management doesn't like him or can't coach them to there standards then 3 years gives them plenty of time to groom his replacement

Basically a win win ? Cowboys get a viable option now with reasonable time for looking for a replacement and Dak and his agent don't get locked up for 5 or 6 years which they don't want with the new TV deal/CBA coming up.

Not only that Dak will only cash out in 2023 if they make playoffs at least 2 of those 3 years regardless (he has to earn the high payday in 2023). If he crashes and burns or it's obvious that the cowboys start grooming a replacement year 2 of the deal then that will hurt his value

That's exactly the thought process behind the compromise from both sides.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I agree too. I think that Dak's agent knows that huge spike is coming, and he's instructed his client to wait for it.
Well the waiting has already cost him 25-30 million in wasting a year (2019) at his rookie salary when he could have had a deal done.
He is lucky he did not injured worse than he did!

Stupid agent!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well the waiting has already cost him 25-30 million in wasting a year (2019) at his rookie salary when he could have had a deal done.
He is lucky he did not injured worse than he did!

Stupid agent!

It's a significant risk, no doubt, but one that both he and his agent were clearly willing to take. And you're right about that other point, he did spend 2019 working for much less while his contemporaries in Wentz and Goff were collecting huge bonus check on top of what were already far greater rookie contracts.

Goff has already pocketed over $50 million and has a new contract paying him $100 million in guarantees. Meanwhile, Dak has played out a 4-year, $2.8 million contract. No matter what happens, he's already $50 million behind the leader.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Git'er dun, please just end this, I don't give a damn what they do, just do it.

js66

Reaction score
You're right about the transition tag, no picks. I was thinking exclusive vs non-exclusive tag.

There are reports Dak wants $40M or so, others say $35M so lets say the mid point is $37M-ish.

I would take 2 first round picks for Dak tomorrow. No one is going to do that and then pay him $35M+, that won't happen. If it does great, I'll drive him to the airport if it speeds things up. This is part of the reason you almost never see an exclusive tag used unless it's a top 2-3 guy at his position. Exclusive tags are for the Mahomes of the world.

Correct me if I'm wrong.... The non exclusive tag is $27M. The following year is a 120% raise or about $32M. 3rd year is a 144% raise for $46M. Totaling $105M with the ability to walk away from him at any point. That's probably better than a $100M contract from a salary cap perspective. I like my $90ish million deal a lot better. Dak gets security, Jerry gets about a $15M break.

We can easily tag him twice and not approach the average salary he wants. I realize his cap hits in the early years are less but the back end will be big as well and I hate cutting guys because of that ballooned cap hit in the final years. The real decision could be on the third tag but I'd have gone QB shopping by then if I was Jerry.