Would 3-years, $100 million get this thing done?

Qcard

Reaction score
Sure, it's yet another 'Dak thread'. If you don't like that or don't want to talk about it, you're not required to. But it seems like the most important order of business that the team has right now so I consider it a topic for conversation.

Based on what I'm reading, the holdup at this point is more about years than dollars. Dak and his agent know that the cap, and by extension player salaries, will be going up significantly under the new CBA. And teams like the Eagles and Rams realized that too, and that's why they seemingly rushed to get their quarterbacks signed even when they didn't have to.

Now that they have, those teams can pay more now with the ability to save big later on, or to cut bait if things don't turn out as they had hoped. Wentz' deal is already looking like a bargain, at an average of $32 million a year, and Goff's is heavily front-loaded, giving the Rams an out clause if they choose, or much lower costs down the road. Goff's deal averages $33.5 million a year.

Hypothetically, would you do a deal that pays a bit less than that in exchange for getting at some of that bigger cap money down the line? Is this a deal that works for the Cowboys?

It seems like a shorter deal, for a bit less money, and betting on yourself to get at even bigger money down the road, is a compromise that might finally get this deal done.

Thoughts from those who do want to discuss it?
This stuff has been rehashed, fried, broiled, grilled and fricasseed....you pay the QB! Period....
QBs like Dak always set the market.

Dak has the same pressure from NFLPA and fellow co-workers (players) that Cousins, Garapolo and other free agent QBs get.. never take a discount. The caps continues to grow. New CBA will have 17th regular season game and expanded rosters...$$$

Pay the QB

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Sure, it's yet another 'Dak thread'. If you don't like that or don't want to talk about it, you're not required to. But it seems like the most important order of business that the team has right now so I consider it a topic for conversation.

Based on what I'm reading, the holdup at this point is more about years than dollars. Dak and his agent know that the cap, and by extension player salaries, will be going up significantly under the new CBA. And teams like the Eagles and Rams realized that too, and that's why they seemingly rushed to get their quarterbacks signed even when they didn't have to.

Now that they have, those teams can pay more now with the ability to save big later on, or to cut bait if things don't turn out as they had hoped. Wentz' deal is already looking like a bargain, at an average of $32 million a year, and Goff's is heavily front-loaded, giving the Rams an out clause if they choose, or much lower costs down the road. Goff's deal averages $33.5 million a year.

Hypothetically, would you do a deal that pays a bit less than that in exchange for getting at some of that bigger cap money down the line? Is this a deal that works for the Cowboys?

It seems like a shorter deal, for a bit less money, and betting on yourself to get at even bigger money down the road, is a compromise that might finally get this deal done.

Thoughts from those who do want to discuss it?
I'd go Fully Guaranteed 95m over 3 years gets him 32m annually, this is lower than Goff same as Wentz and way lower than Wilson or what Mahomie is going to get..

I will give him 3 years to prove in MM offense he can be good. if he sucks in 1st or 2nd year in MM/Moore offense we draft someone in the following year & cut him in 3rd year or let him play it out. Either way your only tied to Dak for 3 more years and if he lights it up and gets us to a Superbowl, the Jones can then scrap that contract and make him richest man in football and kill our chances for more super bowl's in years to come. You can also resign Cooper at this and just back load his contract cause Dak will be off the books in 3 years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd go Fully Guaranteed 95m over 3 years gets him 32m annually, this is lower than Goff same as Wentz and way lower than Wilson or what Mahomie is going to get..

I will give him 3 years to prove in MM offense he can be good. if he sucks in 1st or 2nd year in MM/Moore offense we draft someone in the following year & cut him in 3rd year or let him play it out. Either way your only tied to Dak for 3 more years and if he lights it up and gets us to a Superbowl, the Jones can then scrap that contract and make him richest man in football and kill our chances for more super bowl's in years to come. You can also resign Cooper at this and just back load his contract cause Dak will be off the books in 3 years.

Very close to my original projection. I like it for sure. I'm just not sure that $95 would get it done better than $100 would, and when talking numbers that large, I wouldn't quibble if I were the Cowboys.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How in the world can Dak be expected to live on 100M? I mean Jerry spends 50k a month for flowers on his yacht. Life is expensive, people.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Very close to my original projection. I like it for sure. I'm just not sure that $95 would get it done better than $100 would, and when talking numbers that large, I wouldn't quibble if I were the Cowboys.

yeah i think in the end its going to be a Large Guarantee for 3 or 4 years my guess is 3 years is what Daks camp wants and Jerry wants 5 years so they settle on 4 years... I'd rather do the 3 years fully Guaranteed at 95m and if he's playing balls to the walls at year 3 you could look at extension at that point.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The COWBOYS do NOT WANT a deal this short. That just means in 3 years QB salaries skyrocketing, and you need to do this all over again. It isnt happening.

MarkP88

Reaction score

No way will he sign for less than Goff. Yeah, I know the Rams were dumb to give Goff that $, but they did. Dak won't sign for less, and not less than Wentz, either.