Would any fan on here pay Dak 40 million per year?

glimmerman

Reaction score
You're right. Pretty much any decent starting QB is going to command that price. But it's not just the lobster that costs 35 bucks. It's the hamburger and hotdog too.
Your right. It’s just the market. Looking at his stats and not the eye test or opinions. Dak appears to have top 10 stats. Right there with goff and wentz. Maybe the issue is that Dak wasn’t a high first round pick. Everyone wants him to take 4th round money. If he was a high first round pick then maybe people would expect him to want this much money.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He feels as if he has earned marquee pay
He has outperformed Goff and Wentz so he deserves more than them.

The way the QB pay system is set up, he is next in line for a big deal.

Given those 2 conditions, I don't blame him for thinking he should get marquee pay.

$40M is far to much IMO, but he's not asking for that either.

Frozen700

Reaction score
If Dak was a legitimate superstar, I don't think anyone would complain.
But, he's not. Dak is the benefactor of quality roster in a messed up system under an incompetent head coach.
The fact that Jason Garrett chose him ought to be one of the biggest indicators that he lacks what is needed to be great. Garrett was looking for a different kind of player. He wanted someone that would make him look great. He wasn't looking for the kind of quarterback who believed that the team was his.
He's just not the guy. It's clear.
He's at best a marginal player who cannot ascend to the top because he lacks the instincts to be a leader.
If Dak had started with just about any other team, he would probably already be out of the league by now.

Exactly

I have no need to say anything, you pretty much covered it all.

#DontpayDak

glimmerman

Reaction score
He has outperformed Goff and Wentz so he deserves more than them.

The way the QB pay system is set up, he is next in line for a big deal.

Given those 2 conditions, I don't blame him for thinking he should get marquee pay.

$40M is far to much IMO, but he's not asking for that either.
Out performed goff and wentz. The #1 and #2 first round picks in the 2016 draft. Lol. They have been extended. And got huge contracts.

Dak was picked in the 4th round and played all 4 years of his rookie deal. And got paid peanuts. Now he is asking for slightly more than the 2’he has out done. If he was drafted as our 4th pick in the first round instead of Elliot then I bet most would not have a problem with him getting 34-35 million.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don't doubt that Dak will eventually get more than Goff and Wentz, although, how much more and when is the question that begs an answer.
I think JJ will drop the idea of the 5th year. He will get 35 a year. JJ will throw a few million more guaranteed than the last QB got and it will be done before the dead line. It’s that 5th year. I was hearing that Daks agent was wanting 45 million for the 5th year. But can’t confirm..

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Anyone? I definitely wouldn’t and I haven’t heard anyone else say they would.

Would anyone?
Last year I would not have but he wasnt asking for it. This year I would not but he is not asking for it. Next year Mahomes will be making 45 a year so I would and Dak should be asking for it.

The truth is that JJ and SJ have managed this situation terribly. You would think that JJ being one of the best if not the best business minds in the NFL history has clearly whiffed on the opportunity to sign Dak to a deal a year ago that would have made him the highest paid QB in the league but would have looked like pennies after the next wave of QBs got their new contracts. Now Dak is in that next wave of QBs.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think JJ will drop the idea of the 5th year. He will get 35 a year. JJ will throw a few million more guaranteed than the last QB got and it will be done before the dead line. It’s that 5th year. I was hearing that Daks agent was wanting 45 million for the 5th year. But can’t confirm..

I can't argue with that for a NY minute! I said exactly the same thing a good while back and wouldn't be surprised if it's real close! ;)

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I like a 4 year deal for Dak. If his camp would take that at $32MM/year.....get er done.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I can't argue with that for a NY minute! I said exactly the same thing a good while back and wouldn't be surprised if it's real close! ;)
What we are hearing is it’s the length. Not the actual money. This is not a extension but a new contract. We should have tried harder last year to make it a extension so the money could be spread out another year as far as how it effects the salary cap and the bonus money he will get up front. I see 4 years 140 million. Maybe 105 guaranteed but not sure about the signing bonus, maybe 20 up front. I think the most given in guaranteed was 100 million but could be wrong. But what ever the most guaranteed money was JJ will throw in a couple of million more and get it done. He will be the highest paid QB for a minute. When mahomes gets done it will blow Daks contract up..

glimmerman

Reaction score
I like a 4 year deal for Dak. If his camp would take that at $32MM/year.....get er done.
The offer last year was 33 and he turned it down. Looking like 35 is on the table now. But it’s for 5 years. Dak wants more for the 5th year. There is the snag.

Flamma

Reaction score
Your right. It’s just the market. Looking at his stats and not the eye test or opinions. Dak appears to have top 10 stats. Right there with goff and wentz. Maybe the issue is that Dak wasn’t a high first round pick. Everyone wants him to take 4th round money. If he was a high first round pick then maybe people would expect him to want this much money.

I don't think the issue has anything to do with where he was picked. Even though I am against paying him that much, it has nothing to do with the draft. We got way better value in a QB than a lot of teams get in the first round with our 4th round pick. I just don't like paying Russel Wilson money if I'm not getting Russel Wilson. But I do realize that's what they're going to have to do or it doesn't look like he's going to play. So for me it's like paying the same amount of money for a Camaro as a Corvette.

I wouldn't look at his stats to determine anything definitively either. QBs are not on even playing fields. Every QB has a different supporting cast, coaches, entire systems are different. Their success is dependent on a lot of factors.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The offer last year was 33 and he turned it down. Looking like 35 is on the table now. But it’s for 5 years. Dak wants more for the 5th year. There is the snag.
That's an opening for compromise. Give him the 4 years deal he desires, have to reduce your annual rate.

leeblair

Reaction score
Out performed goff and wentz. The #1 and #2 first round picks in the 2016 draft. Lol. They have been extended. And got huge contracts.

Dak was picked in the 4th round and played all 4 years of his rookie deal. And got paid peanuts. Now he is asking for slightly more than the 2’he has out done. If he was drafted as our 4th pick in the first round instead of Elliot then I bet most would not have a problem with him getting 34-35 million.
Dak couldn't shoulder a team like Wentz did in 2019 and take them to the playoffs despite the multitude of injuries they had.
Wentz carried the Eagles offense.
And Dak couldn't beat him with a full roster of stars.
Pretty much shows you where Dak is. He's nowhere close to being as good as Wentz.
Stop looking at stats. Watch what's really going on.

starfan1

Reaction score
First off fans don't determine players contract amounts. Second it's only those sportswriters and insiders that have SPECULATED that 40 mil figure yet there are fans that just eat those speculations up. Lastly why users want to rehash this multiple times a day when regardless how they feel it will have zero affect on the negotiations means that either they can't think of anything new to discuss or they have a memory of a gnat and can't remember what was said for the 10,000th time.
Pandemic boredom? What are the whiners going to do after he gets paid? They’ll have to find something else to complain about but he is going to get paid

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don't think the issue has anything to do with where he was picked. Even though I am against paying him that much, it has nothing to do with the draft. We got way better value in a QB than a lot of teams get in the first round with our 4th round pick. I just don't like paying Russel Wilson money if I'm not getting Russel Wilson. But I do realize that's what they're going to have to do or it doesn't look like he's going to play. So for me it's like paying the same amount of money for a Camaro as a Corvette.

I wouldn't look at his stats to determine anything definitively either. QBs are not on even playing fields. Every QB has a different supporting cast, coaches, entire systems are different. Their success is dependent on a lot of factors.
There had to be all factor taken into consideration when they look at signing him. But I guess it don’t matter because JJ and SJ are sold on him. Lol. He will get paid..

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dak couldn't shoulder a team like Wentz did in 2019 and take them to the playoffs despite the multitude of injuries they had.
Wentz carried the Eagles offense.
And Dak couldn't beat him with a full roster of stars.
Pretty much shows you where Dak is. He's nowhere close to being as good as Wentz.
Stop looking at stats. Watch what's really going on.
I get what your saying. It was a big game and we lost. Watching them go head to head over the last 4 years. They played 8 times. Dak has won 5 of them. Won 2 of those games in over time when it’s clutch time. Not sure how many of the 8 games wentz was the QB but if he was injured then I can’t help that and neither can wentz, injuries happen but also durability and availability is another aspect of it. Dak deserves as much or more than wentz. I think the egirls were dumb for paying him that much. But they also just drafted a QB, wonder why.