Would Brooks even be cleared to play to start the 2024 season?

Sydla

Reaction score
I have not read much on this.

But honestly, how can the Cowboys take a RB with a premium pick that might not be able to even start the season given the fact their current RB depth chart is awful?

Please tell me they are not thinking they can survive 4-6-8 games, if Brooks isn't cleared, with the likes of Dowdle and Zeke. Right? LOL.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Reports I have seen says he should be ready for training camp...... who knows though if that's true or just hopeful

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I can't wait for Game 1 starter, Zeke Elliott.

Legendary.
Don't worry. There will be tons here who will tell you how he is rejuvenated.

I'm looking forward to trick plays with him at Center. So clever.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
No. My bet is he starts on PUP and misses the first 6 games

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

But honestly, how can the Cowboys take a RB with a premium pick that might not be able to even start the season given the fact their current RB depth chart is awful?

Please tell me they are not thinking they can survive 4-6-8 games, if Brooks isn't cleared, with the likes of Dowdle and Zeke. Right? LOL.
Classic round 2 selection

baltcowboy

Reaction score

You draft players because they will be ready to start the season. :huh: If Brooks misses the first 6 games then plays 11 games like the Rams kid, you would have an issue with that?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
And even if Brooks comes riding to the rescue mid-season, he'd have no live offseason reps with the offense.

I'm thinking his rookie year is a writeoff, and anything he gives you this season is extra. You're most likely losing out on a quarter of his cheap rookie deal, and should discount his draft stock accordingly.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because he is the best RB in the draft and you don't draft for the first 4-6 games of a rookie season.

The current state of the RB's (which isn't awful) doesn't matter. They can always sign one at any time.

tm1119

Reaction score
I think he’d be there able to participate, but highly doubt he’d be 100% full go by camp. Mid Sept would be 10 months removed from the surgery, which seems to be the new norm for recovery.

cowboybish

Reaction score

You can’t possibly take a running back and round two that may not play a third of the season and may not actually be completely healed until the end of the season. Blake or Braelin would be my pic.

1942willys

Reaction score
You draft players because they will be ready to start the season. :huh: If Brooks misses the first 6 games then plays 11 games like the Rams kid, you would have an issue with that?
Coming in cold and not knowing the situation is never good

1942willys

Reaction score
Just how good has the boys done on drafting injured players and players with a real injury history?
what is the hit rate on that?

Sydla

Reaction score
When you see your best RB leave in FA, do nothing in FA to replace him, and are forcing yourself to use a premium pick on a RB because the depth chart is so awful, yeah, it's not ideal that you'd then take a dude coming off an ACL that could miss maybe half the season.

Now if the Jones weren't total idiots and had brought in some quality depth at TB, you can mitigate the fact the kid might miss some games. And this doesn't even account for the reality that sometimes, guys coming off ACLs don't look right for awhile. Gallup, for example. So you literally could be taking a TB in the 2nd because you are so desperate for a RB given what you currently have who might miss games and might not actually be in full gear until 2025.

Now if the Cowboys weren't total idiots and had brought in a decent FA TB, we could mitigate some of this risk. But nope, our two GMs are dopier than Dopey.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Because he is the best RB in the draft and you don't draft for the first 4-6 games of a rookie season.

The current state of the RB's (which isn't awful) doesn't matter. They can always sign one at any time.
The current state of the RBs is not good.

And anyone you sign from this point on is a total JAG.

The Cowboys forced this situation upon themselves. Unless they are OK with possibly throwing away the 2024 season, they put themselves in a situation where their drafted TB likely has to start (or play a lot) early. Taking a guy who might miss 6-7-8 games isn't ideal for a franchise that literally pretended there was no such thing as free agency in 2024.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Forget about being ready, just look how Gallup/Steele looked after tearing their ACL's, not good at all. I don't get it, if you want a top back, just take Benson who is healthy.

cnuball21

Reaction score
And even if Brooks comes riding to the rescue mid-season, he'd have no live offseason reps with the offense.

I'm thinking his rookie year is a writeoff, and anything he gives you this season is extra. You're most likely losing out on a quarter of his cheap rookie deal, and should discount his draft stock accordingly.
This…I really hope
someone just drafts the kid before our 2nd.