Would Cowboys trade Amari Cooper?

JBS

Reaction score
No way in hell I'm trading Cooper for a 2..especially not a late 2..get out of here..

A late 1, yes, I probably pull the trigger..I'll roll w lamb, Gallup, Wilson, and a mid round pick next year

fivetwos

Reaction score
Did you read the article? $8 million cost and $12 million savings next year.
I didn't think it was financially possible.

You're asking the wrong guy because I wanted his money spent on defense all along.

I'd move him for a 2nd and 5th in a minute.

Will Jerry? Doubtful. Those 19 jerseys are still hot.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Green Bay.

They will be picking high 20s and imagine Rodgers throwing to Adams and Cooper
Yep, the need is likely there, my concern is the salary number. Id need to go back and look at the last time a big cap hit like Cooper went for a 1st at the deadline.

fivetwos

Reaction score
This also makes me think it's not all that impossible to get out of the other bad deals either.

But then again, look at the Crawford situation.

Jerry doesnt operate this way. He probably wasnt buddies with Everson Griffen.

Also thinks we are simply another dumpster move or two away from a championship run next year.

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
This would be a smart move by Dallas. I don't believe in paying top dollar to players who have to have their snap counts managed. That's another Tyron Smith situation waiting to happen. Dallas is good at WR, so now would be the time to strike while the iron is hot.

Verdict

Reaction score
From PFT, I thought this might make for some good conversation and debate:

The Cowboys seem to be in fire sale mode, particularly in the midst of a “this is fine” fire on the defensive side of the ball. Here’s the question: Would they trade offensive players, too?

There’s one name to wonder about as the trade deadline approaches, in our view. Receiver Amari Cooper.

Yes, the Cowboys gave up a first-round pick to get him two years ago. Yes, they gave him a new contract after the 2019 season ended.

But consider these facts. First, CeeDee Lamb fell into their laps after Cooper re-signed. Second, Michael Gallup is signed through 2021 to a bargain-basement rookie deal. Third, Cedrick Wilson is pretty damn good. Fourth, with Dak gone for the rest of the season, Cooper becomes a luxury the Cowboys don’t need.

Even though Cooper signed a five-year, $100 million contract, it’s really a two-year, $40 million deal. If someone would offer them a first-rounder for Cooper right now (last year, Mohamed Sanu brought in a second-round pick at the deadline), the Cowboys would be crazy to say no.

“But what about the cap consequences?” you may ask. Trading Cooper would trigger an $8 million charge in 2021, but it would be offset by avoiding $20 million in cash and cap space — creating a $12 million net-cap gain for the Cowboys in 2021.

So any contending team out there looking for a high-end receiver (like the Packers), the window could be open to snatch Cooper from the Cowboys.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/28/would-cowboys-trade-amari-cooper/
If he is traded, doesn’t the cap hit for signing bonus hit the cap as soon as he is traded?

That would mean an $8m cap hit this year and a $20m savings next year. I would personally flip him for a first round pick. I just don’t know if a team would give up a first for him today plus pay that contract.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I dont like Cooper at all.

Never did and never made it a secret. He is soft.

I don't care about your fantasy teams.

He was the guy closest to Dalton while he laid there BTW.

Has zero dog in him and he is part of the problem.

He will NOT be here the next time this team is any good.

starfan1

Reaction score
I think I would. id like to get a 1st but Im not sure he brings that but no less than a second

jsb357

Reaction score
I thought this might make for some good conversation and debate:

like it's never been brought up before?

to debate is futile...

Jerry likes his overpriced decoy receivers

As soon as he let one go he bought another.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he is traded, doesn’t the cap hit for signing bonus hit the cap as soon as he is traded?

That would mean an $8m cap hit this year and a $20m savings next year. I would personally flip him for a first round pick. I just don’t know if a team would give up a first for him today plus pay that contract.

Here are the numbers from Spotrac:

POST-6/1 TRADE

2020 Dead Cap: $2,000,000
2021 Dead Cap: $8,000,000
2020 Cap Savings: $10,000,000