Would love to know if Jaylon came up in DC search

visionary

Reaction score
You just have to know Jerry is dying to be proven right on Jaylon. That he really is smarter than everyone else. That it really was bad schemes that are to blame for Jaylon’s poor play. I absolutely can see him directly asking DC candidates what there plan was to make Jaylon a star. I guarantee you he had never even thought about cutting him and admitting his mistakes

I’m told be my sources that Jerry was afraid that a high energy person like Dan Quinn might try to tackle him but DQ did ‘the swipe’ as soon as he walked into Jerry’s office to let him know that was not the case

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I got a better example then Zeke. I have never heard the media in Dallas or the Break complain about Tyrone Crawford completing his contract. He should have been cut before the 2018 season. The last three seasons he has been terrible and he makes more money then any defensive player on the roster not named DLaw over the last few seasons.
Very good point.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And taco cost a lot less when they cut him.

On the bright side, we cut a whole bunch of free agents we put money into this year. Maybe we're starting to show a willingness to cut our losses instead of always trying to prove that we weren't wrong.
Yeah that’s one thing I will say....I think in most other years they would’ve held on to Poe for the season.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I agree. Especially with other LBs rated ahead of Leighton and at the time was said to be a reach.

Jaylon on the other hand was said he might not ever play again and not only has he stayed healthy and played every game but was a probowl player. The hate he gets is just as bad as the Dak hate in a lot of ways. Difference being that Dak is top 5 at his position and Jaylon is down the list a little bit.

I just read an article about the 2018 draft and didn't even hinted LVE was a reach. It had LVE rated as the 3rd best LB and he was actually the 4th LB taken in that draft. I think that you may have some bad feeling about LVE and that is what is behind your statement. Now talk about question marks about a draft pick, Smith had them from a lot in the sporting world. I will freely admit that I was against using a high 2nd round pick on a player that at the time had questions on whether he could ever play again, that they knew a head of time he wouldn't even play his rookie season. 2nd round picks are generally thought to be able to move right into a starting position as a rookie.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/19/nfl-draft-2018-linebacker-rankings-analysis

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder just how much McC participated in the search? Just as I wonder how much he had to do with making the change?

If I was the GM, I would be asking myself 'this man is trying to redeem himself as a HC and he chooses this guy as his DC'? There had to be ?'s from the FO when he wanted Nolan as his DC. But then this FO allowed a D system change with no offseason to install it. Why would I think they'd have ?'s about the DC?

You know the problem with this NFL coaches recycling program? This hiring who you know and worked with before, it just perpetuates the problem.

McC is an offensive minded HC, he needs the balance of the strongest D minded coach available. McVay was successful as an O HC because they balanced him with experience, successful experience.

This was exactly how Booger failed Garrett. They didn't surround him with the right supporting staff of coaches.

Look at the Saban Model. Why is he more successful than any other college HC? Because of who he hires and he just hired O'Brien, a good OC but not HC, as his new OC. He didn't hire him for his failure in HOU but his success in NE.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I'd imagine almost every coach hired/interviewed saves any criticism of any player until they see them in person and on the practice/playing field. Sure you might have an opinion, but they'll let the play do the talking. I expect more changes from MM this offseason. But if the underperforming pet players continue to see the field and a backup option isnt put into place (draft/FA) then I'm going to have my doubts about MM and this teams future until he's gone.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd imagine almost every coach hired/interviewed saves any criticism of any player until they see them in person and on the practice/playing field. Sure you might have an opinion, but they'll let the play do the talking. I expect more changes from MM this offseason. But if the underperforming pet players continue to see the field and a backup option isnt put into place (draft/FA) then I'm going to have my doubts about MM and this teams future until he's gone.
I do not think the coaching staff has any say so with which players go or stay. I think they even get questioned about who starts and playing time for certain players.

This is a GM that admitted to getting the game plan run by him every week. You think he's going to stop there?

aria

Reaction score
How often do you interview with a company and tell them how bad they suck or how bad their current employees suck? Most likely he focused on how he could get the best out of what they had, what he'd do differently, etc.
That’s how Costanza was hired by Steinbrenner for the Yankees job :omg:

CWR

Reaction score
I got a better example then Zeke. I have never heard the media in Dallas or the Break complain about Tyrone Crawford completing his contract. He should have been cut before the 2018 season. The last three seasons he has been terrible and he makes more money then any defensive player on the roster not named DLaw over the last few seasons.

What a horrible, inexplicable waste of cap space. I guess when you're a company man Jerry will drag you along, no problem.

CWR

Reaction score
I can't disagree there. You make a good point that Jaylon doesn't take responsibility when he makes a mistake...... at least in public. Even Lawrence came out and said they have played soft or something like that.

I'm not saying Jaylon is great but he isn't as bad as some make him out to be

Jaylon makes plays. The problem is a lot of them are bad plays. His instincts/vision/ability to shed are often wrong. His negative plays are too many to make up for the positive. At this point we'd be better off with a consistently mediocre LB who played his assignments and didn't commit to such errors.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I hope they are talking of him being gone. Look at play from the back at 9 sec Mark on. In fact hit this tweet and Sturm has 6-7 other plays in here