Would Pederson give us a better chance at the SB instead of Garrett?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
My mom is in San Antonio and my dad and dad's side are in Philly... I was conceived in Philly and grew up in San Antonio... there you go.
That should explain why you’re a fan of either Dallas or Philly. Not why you pull for both.

If you really pulled for one... you wouldn’t like the other.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Complicated story.

My father has lived in Philly collar metro most his life and my half brothers from my father are entirely born and raised there, Bucks county.

I grew up with my mother and grandmother (mom's mom) in San Antonio, Tx. most of my life however (thus the Cowboy fanhood). My mother never married my father (or any other man) and left her job in Philly to get the heck away from my father when I was 2 months old. I didn't meet my father and half brothers until I was 23.
So when you were 23 and finally met the man were you both wearing your respective team jersey? You guys didn't swap them like they do now did you? I have more questions.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
So glad this wasnt misspelled like I thought. Can't stand ap.

But yes Pederson would give us a better chance than jg for sure. We can always count on jg costing our team 2-3 games a year. That's priceless. But hey he was coty!!

Altestic

Reaction score
So when you were 23 and finally met the man were you both wearing your respective team jersey? You guys didn't swap them like they do now did you? I have more questions.
Nah. Oldest half bro bought me a Wentz jersey and took me to the Atlanta playoff game, January 2018. Extremely fun game to watch live even though it was cold.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
People always crap on Garrett. If you really look at his two best seasons 2014 and 2016, he coached his butt off those years. The Cowboys were generally picked to finish 3rd or last place in the division before those seasons. I for one believe our talent is overrated. 2014 the defensive talent was awful and we won with the power running game. 2016 Tony Romo was injured in the preseason. Believe me Garrett made adjustments because Dak could not run a Tony Romo offense. The Eagles in 2017 had the best offensive line and defensive line in the NFL. You see how good our team is with just the best offensive line. Pederson can coach but the Eagles have talent and I would argue they have been more talented then us for atleast the last 5 years.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think Pederson would give Dallas a better chance but only if he is able to bring the rest of his coaching staff from that SB year. Part of the problem in Dallas is just the way the whole organization is run with Jerry being the owner and GM. I think he meddles too much among the players and coaches. His personal relationships with players in my opinion has affected the coaches having the power to discipline players.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's a convenient way to try to convince yourself that the mediocre coach you have is actually better than he really is.

The past is instructive when it comes to predicting the future, especially in coaching. As has been shown many times before, if Jason Garrett went on to win a SB from this point on, he'd be a real rarity in the NFL when you stack him up against the other SB winning HCs.
Change is inevitable. And never say never

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's a convenient way to try to convince yourself that the mediocre coach you have is actually better than he really is.

The past is instructive when it comes to predicting the future, especially in coaching. As has been shown many times before, if Jason Garrett went on to win a SB from this point on, he'd be a real rarity in the NFL when you stack him up against the other SB winning HCs.
Some people say Prescott just can't win without this or that . and then they say the Coach Sucks. Well we went to the second round of the playoffs with the youngest starting team in the league somebody's doing something right. You can't argue that point . I'm sure some will try. But they'll only look ridiculous

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Takes more than a great coach. Your head coach has to be in sync with how the entire front office runs. This is what holds garrett and the next coach back. Its what held belechick back when he was with the browns. Jerry gives out reckless contracts, stephen is super cheap, and the HC has 0 authority over his own staff and players. Most of these other established coaches would hate the jones's interference.
I totally agree, what head coach with any self-respect, would take over a team without total control. Who would be foolish enough to put their reputation on the line. Jason has learned how to manipulate the front office as best as he can. I don't think he's allowed to hire his own supporting staff, I'm sure he has saying it but I don't think he has the overall final decision.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't know about a new coach ....... But any real NFL gm would give us a much better chance instead of the drunken bafoon and his idiot son we have pretending to be football guys
Actually William Maclay Steven and Jason have been running did GM duties the last couple 3 Seasons yes Jerry is involved but he's not the only guy making the decision any longer this is not the same old Cowboys. From top to bottom

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If Garrett was coaching the Eagles in 2017 do you seriously think the Eagles win the Super Bowl? Would Garrett have the balls to call that Philly Philly play? Would Garrett survive the loss of two starting linemen, a running back who was used a lot, a starting QB, the best ST player, and two starters on defense...and even win a playoff game?
If he had the exact leave way we don't have to go through the front office absolutely

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
My father's side all lives in Philly metro.

I guess Chiefs are my 3rd favorite due to me being a Mahomes fan and hating the Patriots.
My Mom was a Steeler fan and most of my cousins on her side are Eagles fans. My Uncle lived up in Philly. I remember when I was 10 visiting him and we would walk around the town. But saying that I hate both teams. My hatred grew over the years too. lol

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My Mom was a Steeler fan and most of my cousins on her side are Eagles fans. My Uncle lived up in Philly. I remember when I was 10 visiting him and we would walk around the town. But saying that I hate both teams. My hatred grew over the years too. lol
I live 20 minutes from Gillette Stadium. I've been a Cowboys fan my entire life . in the military overseas all you could get was cowboy games. How could I not love the star and what it represents. I wonder how many people remember the Cardinals were in our division.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pederson won a SB in a season where his LT was on IR, his best LB was on IR, his best play making RB was on IR and their QB went on IR before the playoffs started.

Pederson is no Belichick for sure. Frankly, I am not sure I’d want him here in Dallas. But to diminish what he’s done in 3 years which is more than Garrett has done in 9 is kind of funny.

He’s proven more than Garrett. He’s won at a higher level than Garrett. To argue they are the same coach is really kind of bizarre.

But is it surprising considering the source?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sure. He’s won a SB.

Now do I think he’s a great coach? I think we need to see more but to argue that he’s not better than Garrett at this point would be kind of silly.

Yeah, yeah, Pederson lost to Garrett twice last year. I get it.
dont dust it under the rug it was very close race and those 2 games were HUGE..garett won, we won, we beat them won the division.. it counts and if Pederson was so good he would have won both or a split..

debatable whos better maybe its the GM and players who knows... but im not ready to give Pederson props until he does it long term..

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
dont dust it under the rug it was very close race and those 2 games were HUGE..garett won, we won, we beat them won the division.. it counts and if Pederson was so good he would have won both or a split..

debatable whos better maybe its the GM and players who knows... but im not ready to give Pederson props until he does it long term..
Head up competition what's better than that. Totally agree

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Actually William Maclay Steven and Jason have been running did GM duties the last couple 3 Seasons yes Jerry is involved but he's not the only guy making the decision any longer this is not the same old Cowboys. From top to bottom

Would you like to buy some ocean front property in Arizona ?

Altestic

Reaction score
1. Cowboys
2. Eagles
3. Chiefs
4. Seahawks
5. Texans
6. Bears... I hate Green Bay

28. Titans. POS's for abruptly leaving Texas.
29. Falcons... I don't like Atlanta, at all
30. Steelers
31. Packers... blegh
32. Patriots... just ruined the league with their cheating.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
1. Cowboys
2. Eagles
3. Chiefs
4. Seahawks
5. Texans
6. Bears... I hate Green Bay

28. Titans. POS's for abruptly leaving Texas.
29. Falcons... I don't like Atlanta, at all
30. Steelers
31. Packers... blegh
32. Patriots... just ruined the league with their cheating.
The only #2 team I really ever had was the Houston Oilers back in the late 70's and early 80's. Loved Bum Phillips and Earl Campbell. I always rooted for the Cowboys when they played each other but it was nice when I would watch the AFC games. After they left though I stopped following.

Verdict

Reaction score
Having an interesting conversation with a few Eagle fans. They think that the best two NFC teams in terms of talent are our Boys and the Eagles. Two of them believe that if Pederson was our HC instead of Garrett that we would be Super Bowl winners. Their reasoning:

1) Pederson has been able to keep a badly injured team competitive due to adjustments made in game--they don't always win (we beat them twice last year) but they rarely get blown out and keep it close.
2) Pederson has shown that he is willing to change the system to fit the players better than Garrett has shown.
3) Pederson simply makes better in game adjustments. He puts his players in a better position to win.
4) Dallas might have the best personnel on paper. They should have more playoff success than they do. That points to coaching.

Both the past two years, the Eagles have been hit hard with injuries--I think only the Commanders have been hit harder on the injury front. During the Super Bowl year, Pederson looked at old game footage of Foles under Kelly when he had that 27/2 year. Pederson took what worked under Kelly and incorporated it into his offense for Foles. Result: Super Bowl victory.

So, would Pederson have a better chance to lead us back to Lombardi heaven over Garrett?

Short answer:

No.