Would real grass cause less injuries than field turf?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Some people were saying that Aaron Rodgers would not have been injured on real grass instead of field turf. I'm honestly not sure what's true. I do know that both real grass and field turf beats the pants off that awful astroturf they used to play on. The claim some made is that real grass would have given way, thus preventing his injury. However, does that also mean that real grass fields are more prone to holes and uneven spaces, or even dirt patches? Field turf was billed as just as safe as grass, but is it more nuanced than that? Maybe it has its pros and cons, but the same thing can be said of real grass fields?
I know that the game can never guarantee no injuries, but I want them to use whatever is best.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Some people were saying that Aaron Rodgers would not have been injured on real grass instead of field turf. I'm honestly not sure what's true. I do know that both real grass and field turf beats the pants off that awful astroturf they used to play on. The claim some made is that real grass would have given way, thus preventing his injury. However, does that also mean that real grass fields are more prone to holes and uneven spaces, or even dirt patches? Field turf was billed as just as safe as grass, but is it more nuanced than that? Maybe it has its pros and cons, but the same thing can be said of real grass fields?
I know that the game can never guarantee no injuries, but I want them to use whatever is best.
Over the past three years the rates have been the same, but before that, the injury rate for turf was higher than it was for grass. The recent hybrid turf/grass surfaces see to be safer than the old style turf. But there really isn't enough data on the newer surfaces yet from NFL games to make any conclusion.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think the turf caused Rodgers injury and is the reason why we lost Overshown and Stephens. I don’t know about other injuries.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I think the turf caused Rodgers injury and is the reason why we lost Overshown and Stephens. I don’t know about other injuries.
It's pretty impossible to make that conclusion.I'm sure there are instances where a foot gets caught in turf, causing a knee or other injury, but I don't think it's fair to say that there's some huge uptick injuries caused by the turf itself.

That said, teams should just have grass.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
I can see no logical way a ruptured Achilles could be caused by the turf field.

rags747

Reaction score
Ravens play on a grass field I believe and lost Dobbins with an Achilles injury. I think it’s a grass field but maybe I’m wrong here.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It's pretty impossible to make that conclusion.I'm sure there are instances where a foot gets caught in turf, causing a knee or other injury, but I don't think it's fair to say that there's some huge uptick injuries caused by the turf itself.

That said, teams should just have grass.
You’re right you can’t prove it in because no doctor would admit it because of the variables. I just listen to the players and back what they say.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It must be hard they still haven’t figured out how to do it. You would think if you can put men on the moon, it could be done.
They grow all kinds of food indoors nowadays. So Im sure they can do it with grass. I’m not sure why they don’t.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
It must be hard they still haven’t figured out how to do it. You would think if you can put men on the moon, it could be done.
lol, that is kinda cliché in my world as I say that about everything that is a fail

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They grow all kinds of food indoors nowadays. So Im sure they can do it with grass. I’m not sure why they don’t.
If it could be done they would. Even indoor grass needs some light. This is why it can’t be done.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No one would know for sure and there's no need to know for sure but I know this I know people who have wrecked their Achilles by just taking a step or going up a step or down a step or walking off a curb under normal regular everyday walking it can happen in a moments notice it doesn't take much.. So right now I'm not buying into the hype that everyone's against turf all of a sudden I mean how about all of them decades people were on that nasty astroturf the heart is concrete under there and there were other problems so it's not like people are dropping like flies I mean this is happening occasionally but football people have always got hurt they're always blowing an ACL they're always hurting a knee or a shoulder or an Achilles.. I don't buy into the hype but I know it can happen so I can't say it won't happen or hasn't happened.

I mean big dudes going full speed grab you and twist you and then pulls you to the ground and you resist a little, pop! Add in his age as well and his lack of preseason because he had some kind of deal with his calf which could also have led to this if he was favoring that leg I mean there's anything could have happened..

HungryLion

Reaction score
If it could be done they would. Even indoor grass needs some light. This is why it can’t be done.
It 100% absolutely can be done. The raiders stadium is real grass and a dome. There are other stadiums in the world that do the same.

They usually have the field on a movable platform that can be moved outdoors for sunlight.

You can also use a retractable roof.

There’s a lot of options

blueblood70

Reaction score
And a lot of people don't there's a lot of mixed opinions and I've seen people have no contact type ACL's and Chiles and everyday life just walking just stepping stepping up stepping down off of a curb or an uneven like you're walking across the grass and all of a sudden there's a little pothole happens all the time in real life now you add in guys running full speed and being twisted I don't think it had anything to do with the turf I've watched the play about 14 times it's just resistance and weight it's football and that's the other guys too why is it on the practice field I watch guys on regular grass like Sean Lee poppin ACL look this is being overblown about the turn let's just shut it down no one knows so there is no reason to talk about it really... If people are afraid to get hurt they shouldn't be playing sports and especially shouldn't be playing football..

Which brings me to some strange things I've seen lately I think it was college but I can't remember there there's some dudes now wearing what looks like shorts with pads just in the front of your quads but there's no bottom to him there's nothing on the knee there's nothing that goes all the way down to the sock and they're allowing this I mean I don't understand that if people are getting injured why are we taking out the knee pads and more protection around the ankles and whatnot??

Look when you lace them up and you get that $1,000,000 or more a game this is part of it this is what you signed up for you gonna get hurt the guy was running from a sack he got grabbed he tried to pull away he got twisted he hurt his ankle that's it there is no other reason for us to delve any deeper into it...