Would real grass cause less injuries than field turf?

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Some people were saying that Aaron Rodgers would not have been injured on real grass instead of field turf. I'm honestly not sure what's true. I do know that both real grass and field turf beats the pants off that awful astroturf they used to play on. The claim some made is that real grass would have given way, thus preventing his injury. However, does that also mean that real grass fields are more prone to holes and uneven spaces, or even dirt patches? Field turf was billed as just as safe as grass, but is it more nuanced than that? Maybe it has its pros and cons, but the same thing can be said of real grass fields?
I know that the game can never guarantee no injuries, but I want them to use whatever is best.
I think it’s already been proven that artificial turf produces more injuries, at least with the older turfs of 7+ years ago. Not sure about the newer versions.

These teams have gobs of money. The players should insist on natural grass in the next CBA. They can even grow grass indoors in northern climates in the winter. It isn’t cheap, but…..Aaron Rodgers.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Newer artificial turf simulates dirt and sod with ground up tires and synthetic grass fibers. It still has to be laid over concrete so I’m not sure what the minimum distance between the turf vs the concrete is whereas dirt and sod distance over concrete to promote growth would be. Not sure if there’s enough data to say the new stuff causes more injuries. We all know the old stuff was just carpet over a cheap pad and caused all kinds of career ending injuries.

erod

Reaction score
Sometimes, many times, injuries just happen. Not turf or grass related. Maybe they needed a better trainer.
They all did ACL training. And none of the tears occurred with tackles or physical contact. Just pivots and basic movements. This was an elite level team with excellent trainers. They monitored their miles and did post game day regen and recovery training.

Those cleats can get caught in the turf and won't rotate.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Newer artificial turf simulates dirt and sod with ground up tires and synthetic grass fibers. It still has to be laid over concrete so I’m not sure what the minimum distance between the turf vs the concrete is whereas dirt and sod distance over concrete to promote growth would be. Not sure if there’s enough data to say the new stuff causes more injuries. We all know the old stuff was just carpet over a cheap pad and caused all kinds of career ending injuries.
I'm starting to suspect that maybe the newer artificial turf beats the pants off of the old-style astroturf, but still may not be as good as a natural grass field that's in good condition. Now "that's in good condition" is a very important part of that. A grass field that's in poor condition is probably worse than the best quality artificial turf. Mind you, I'm not an expert, but that's what I suspect is true.