Would Romo have us at 5-0?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Offensive Lines were another thing that some blamed for the Cowboys not getting to the Superbowl with Romo as QB. Insisting that Romo never had a good of an offensive line as Dak has now.
Just another example of a double standard. All of Dak's sacks are his fault. All of Romo's are the offensive lines fault. Truth is they both take bad sacks at times hurting the team with bad down and distance, taking of scoring position.

shabazz

Reaction score
Great point...overcoming a pass rush. It would be nice and I agree with you. Romo critics wanted to see the same thing from Romo against Minnesota in the 2009 playoffs. We've been told Romo had no chance though.

As things appear, our defense is suspect, Offensive line is inconsistent which is leading to Zeke getting stuffed and Dak getting shut down (at least early in games), so whats the solution? Is it really coaching? Game planning? or players not executing? and before we sign Dak to a Blockbuster contract; is he to be the Franchise QB for this team.

I really wonder if the FO is going to break the Bank on Dak? Many times our perceptions on players are wildly different than the FO

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
yup. He said in the off season that he made the decision pre-snap because they were going to blitz and he didn't have time to adjust the protection. Why didn't he call timeout and get into a better play for an important 4th and short instead of going with a low % jump ball deep down the field?
All I can say to this is. Timeouts I just too precious

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
As things appear, our defense is suspect, Offensive line is inconsistent which is leading to Zeke getting stuffed and Dak getting shut down (at least early in games), so whats the solution? Is it really coaching? Game planning? or players not executing? and before we sign Dak to a Blockbuster contract; is he to be the Franchise QB for this team.

I really wonder if the FO is going to break the Bank on Dak? Many times our perceptions on players are wildly different than the FO
You realize Romo would get shut down early in games, too right?

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Well you can have a QB that may get injured, but gives you a chance or Dak.

Because Romo never had costly INTs that were the reason for the Cowboys losing and Dak has never had comebacks or made plays that gave the Cowboys a chance to win games. :facepalm:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Huge jump in accuracy, touch, and processing speed,.......sure, against the Nfls worst teams....but.when he faces a decent defense; not so much

Cant play the Commanders and Dolphins every week, but hey the Jets are up next so hope springs eternal

Dak is throwing better in games than he used to against air. Only one INT I'll put on Dak against GB. 10 yards per attempt. That's huge.

Against NO, no Gallup, and *one* CB was shutting Cooper down. The run game was so weak 3rd down was usually poor down and distance. It was a much tougher row to hoe for Dak. Best dline we've faced too. And supposedly NO had some of Moore's hand signals from his Boise days. It certainly looked to me like the Saints defense adjusted faster than our offense did on the field. The whole offense was having problems that day.

Hence my previous post. Context matters. I didn't see Dak especially stinking that day.

zerofill

Reaction score
I think the actual problem here is, everyone is going by what Romo became. Which there is no doubt 2014 Romo is several levels higher than Dak.
So it is still irritating, seeing what he became, and then him not staying on the field. He also changed the called plays a lot in 2014. So he took some
of the crap we get, out of the coaches hands. Which Dak is not going to do, to that extent.

I think it is safe to say COY was gifted to Garrett, by Romo.

I think it is also pretty fair to say that the final version of Romo we saw in a full season, would have given us a better record this season.

That isn't to say Dak hasn't gotten better. I mean it is obvious he worked on mechanics etc, during the off season.

Maybe he can get to the same point... But, I think the fan base as a hole, felt like we were finally....finally... on the cusp of a deep playoff run, or a Superbowl again. Then
it was jerked out from under everyone.

While I really liked Romo, he was the reason we didn't get to see what might have been in 2016. Because he had to run the ball in a stupid preseason game, instead of throwing it away.
I actually do hold some anger towards him for that.

pansophy

Reaction score
I could see the argument for 4-1.

But probably not 5-0.

Romo had an occasional high turnover game. Romo also didn’t play defense to stop the Packers from scoring 34 points.
You know I’m a huge Romo fan. If anything what we are seeing from Dak explains what so many hated about Romo instead of suggesting that Romo would be 5-0.

When the team is falling to do its job Romo used to try to make up for it by making amazing plays and pusher the envelope of the position. It worked sometimes and failed others. Romo took the blame when the team should have.

Now apparently it’s Dak’s turn. Lost the turnover battle against the Saints. Very little of what went wrong was on Dak. Hard for me to say that Romo would have found a way to win that game.

Green Bay gets up big and Dak has to get greedy if we are going to have a chance.

It’s true that Dak’s INTs tend to come when he throws a bit behind the WR and then the ball ends up tipped rather than caught, but they are very catchable balls.

Dak isn’t perfect, just like Romo wasn’t, but God we have to stop blaming the QB for team failings.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But yet we lost the playoff game because of Murray...the same way we lost the 2007 playoff game because of Crayton. Romo never shares any responsibility in those losses.

Both of those games Romo was the best thing we had going.

And we did lose in 2007 because of Crayton. He pulled up on the winning TD pass on the 2nd before last play. The ball went over the defender. Crayton doesn't get to the ball.

Also keep in mind that that Giants defense beat Romo, Rodgers, and Brady in succession. They beat the hitherto undefeated Pats in the SB. They were not cupcakes.

TO was good for a half until his leg pooped out. For some reason Barber pooped out after a half too. Glenn wasn't good at all. But Romo was slinging it, and with next to nothing to throw to, threw what would have been the game winner, but for Crayton pulling up on the pass.

zerofill

Reaction score
As soon as we get a refund for Romo's.

I don't think Dak is worth anywhere near what he wants...
But, I also didn't think Romo's last contract was right either, with the success of the team itself.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Both of those games Romo was the best thing we had going.

And we did lose in 2007 because of Crayton. He pulled up on the winning TD pass on the 2nd before last play. The ball went over the defender. Crayton doesn't get to the ball.

Also keep in mind that that Giants defense beat Romo, Rodgers, and Brady in succession. They beat the hitherto undefeated Pats in the SB. They were not cupcakes.

TO was good for a half until his leg pooped out. For some reason Barber pooped out after a half too. Glenn wasn't good at all. But Romo was slinging it, and with next to nothing to throw to, threw what would have been the game winner, but for Crayton pulling up on the pass.
TO was wide open in the red zone for an easy TD on 3rd down in the 2nd half. Romo missed him. We settled for a FG. The defensive back field for the Giants was a mess with injuries that game and lost Aaron Ross during it. Romo had a horrible game, too. It wasn't lost just because of Crayton.