Would Romo have us at 5-0?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Both of those games Romo was the best thing we had going.

And we did lose in 2007 because of Crayton. He pulled up on the winning TD pass on the 2nd before last play. The ball went over the defender. Crayton doesn't get to the ball.

Also keep in mind that that Giants defense beat Romo, Rodgers, and Brady in succession. They beat the hitherto undefeated Pats in the SB. They were not cupcakes.

TO was good for a half until his leg pooped out. For some reason Barber pooped out after a half too. Glenn wasn't good at all. But Romo was slinging it, and with next to nothing to throw to, threw what would have been the game winner, but for Crayton pulling up on the pass.
Romo was mediocre as was the whole team. Crayton just missed the biggest catch in the game. There were many other opportunities during the game and the Cowboys came up short.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
TO was wide open in the red zone for an easy TD on 3rd down in the 2nd half. Romo missed him. We settled for a FG. The defensive back field for the Giants was a mess with injuries that game and lost Aaron Ross during it. Romo had a horrible game, too. It wasn't lost just because of Crayton.

There are always other plays that could have been made.

As for the Giants defensive backfield, that didn't stop the Giants from rolling through the league once their dline got healthy that year. They were a dline for the ages. But Romo, with no one left to throw to in the 4th, throws what should have been the game winning pass. He did enough, with nothing to work with.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So open for debate. Would Romo in his prime have us at 5-0 with this current team?
why even bring this up? that was 4 years ago. in the NFL that's eon's ago...so while we are at it, lets talk Aikman, would Aikman have us at 5-0 with this team? seriously....Romo is in the past. history....bring up Romo ain't going to do anyone any good.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

As for the Giants defensive backfield, that didn't stop the Giants from rolling through the league once their dline got healthy that year. They were a dline for the ages. But Romo, with no one left to throw to in the 4th, throws what should have been the game winning pass. He did enough, with nothing to work with.
Of course, if everyone else didn't make their mistakes the team could have overcome Romo's mistakes. Same applies for Dak.

keysersoze

Reaction score

This is stupid and blind infatuation. Romo had TO, Terry Glenn, Witten and Barber. That’s nothing to work with? Really ????

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I'd do anything to have Romo playing QB for this offense. I don't know if he'd be 5-0, but we'd be a lot scarier as a team going forward then we currently are that's for sure.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
This is stupid and blind infatuation. Romo had TO, Terry Glenn, Witten and Barber. That’s nothing to work with? Really ????

The classic downgrading and diminishing the talent and weapons that Romo had around him in order to either build up his legendary status or to excuse the Cowboys not winning a Superbowl with him routine.

I'm sure that there were talks about how talented those teams were at that time and moment. Just like how there are talks about how talented the current Cowboys are.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So open for debate. Would Romo in his prime have us at 5-0 with this current team?

2014 Romo? Maybe, but 2014 Romo had eight years of learning as a starter under his belt. Romo didn't really reach his prime until his fourth year as a starter (2009). Like Dak, there was a lot of good that he showed during those first three years, but he had areas where he needed to improve, and he continued to work on tweaking things until he had his MVP-caliber season in 2014.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I'd do anything to have Romo playing QB for this offense. I don't know if he'd be 5-0, but we'd be a lot scarier as a team going forward then we currently are that's for sure.
It doesn't have to be Romo but I'd love to have a QB with better ball placement when throwing to the receiver. He's been putting the ball behind them a lot. This has been an issue all year, but the WR's have been making adjustments and making the catches. Against GB, they just weren't able to. As I've said before, Dak is just fine at getting the ball to the receiver but he can't do the "throw it where only the receiver can catch it" throws. Romo was great at that in his last few years here. Dak hasn't gotten that yet. Maybe he will, but this is his 4th year, a contract year where he for some reason thinks he should be paid like the top QB in football which he just isn't. If the Cowboys are smart, they stop the contract talks until after the season. See what happens. We can always franchise him for the coming year. And hey, maybe a crappy, QB-needy team is willing to give up two 1st rounders for him. I would definitely let him go in that case.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
As long as he could pass from a stretcher.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
The classic downgrading and diminishing the talent and weapons that Romo had around him in order to either build up his legendary status or to excuse the Cowboys not winning a Superbowl with him routine.

I'm sure that there were talks about how talented those teams were at that time and moment. Just like how there are talks about how talented the current Cowboys are.
There were talented teams, mostly because they were led by Romo. He was a magician with avoiding sacks. Yeah, he'd throw an interception from time to time when trying to lead this team back because the defense had let the team down again. Romo never played defense though and the defense was putrid most of the time. He's the only QB I have ever heard get blamed for a loss when the team scored 50+ points.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
There were talented teams, mostly because they were led by Romo. He was a magician with avoiding sacks. Yeah, he'd throw an interception from time to time when trying to lead this team back because the defense had let the team down again. Romo never played defense though and the defense was putrid most of the time. He's the only QB I have ever heard get blamed for a loss when the team scored 50+ points.

There were some players who were talented before Romo such as Terry Glenn and TO. And Marion Barber's success along with Murray's can be credited to the OLs that Romo had. Even though some insist that he never had a good OL as QB. This current defense with Dak hasn't been all that impressive and let CJ Anderson run all over them last season. And gave up a big pass to Rodgers in the 2016 playoffs that cost us that game.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be Romo but I'd love to have a QB with better ball placement when throwing to the receiver. He's been putting the ball behind them a lot. This has been an issue all year, but the WR's have been making adjustments and making the catches. Against GB, they just weren't able to. As I've said before, Dak is just fine at getting the ball to the receiver but he can't do the "throw it where only the receiver can catch it" throws. Romo was great at that in his last few years here. Dak hasn't gotten that yet. Maybe he will, but this is his 4th year, a contract year where he for some reason thinks he should be paid like the top QB in football which he just isn't. If the Cowboys are smart, they stop the contract talks until after the season. See what happens. We can always franchise him for the coming year. And hey, maybe a crappy, QB-needy team is willing to give up two 1st rounders for him. I would definitely let him go in that case.

100% agree. He is a guy that can keep your team in games and I really like Dak as a person. However, I think we have a middle of the pack QB who is average at every aspect of his game. He is a leader on the field no doubt, but he isn't going to put a team on his back and win football games. He had 1:40 left vs the Saints and we got 15 yards on that drive and you could tell right away he was no way going to win us the game that night. He misses very easy throws regularly and you just can't have that vs professional football teams.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
There were some players who were talented before Romo such as Terry Glenn and TO. And Marion Barber's success along with Murray's can be credited to the OLs that Romo had. Even though some insist that he never had a good OL as QB. This current defense with Dak hasn't been all that impressive and let CJ Anderson run all over them last season. And gave up a big pass to Rodgers in the 2016 playoffs that cost us that game.
It looks a lot like the teams Romo lost with.

Praxit

Reaction score
...lol.. Romo would have been out by the 2nd game. ..:).

stuckindc

Reaction score
TO was wide open in the red zone for an easy TD on 3rd down in the 2nd half. Romo missed him. We settled for a FG. The defensive back field for the Giants was a mess with injuries that game and lost Aaron Ross during it. Romo had a horrible game, too. It wasn't lost just because of Crayton.
It wasn't? Romo didn't make a brilliant escape of a pass rush and side armed a perfect pass to Crayton , who had at minimum a critical first down , most likely a huuuugggge field changing first down and very possibly a massive touchdown?! That didn't happen? but because he dropped it..do you remember what happened next..Cowboys punted, Giants drove down and scored a huge game changing touchdown...or then the how he slowed down for what would have been the game winning td...Yes Romo played horribly...Good call. AS for the 2014 playoff game...The pass to Dez was a gamble ...but it worked...and they were either at the 1 ..or td...Thats not what lost the game...The Murray fumble that would have put us in a commanding lead...as we were doing what that team did best..pounding the ball ...controlling the clock and wearing the defense out...Again Changed the whole game.