Would You Be Happy With This Dak Comparison?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I’ve always liked Dak’s comparisons to Steve McNair and Donovan McNabb.

-Never quite a top 5 QB, stayed in the 7-10 range for their careers.

-Not overly athletic, but are strong and can move around enough to make plays and run when the opportunity presents itself.

-Never the type of guys to do it all themselves, but with solid teams were able to win many regular season games and moderate post season success.

-Could make every throw, but had stretches of inconsistency.

Finally both got to Super Bowls and were within yards of winning them. If Dak has a similar career to these guys, but converts his SB opportunity into a win, are we all happy with his time?
nah maybe but id say hes more like Alex Smith not great but good enough with a great team around them they can get it done and really his upside ie their games match is Russell Wilson.. noone wants to admit it but RW fort 3-4 years even his sb where RW was not the Wilson of today and the run game and defense carried that team look a lot like Daks and each year Daks trying to fix some flaws as Wilson did.. will he become Wilson, not sure but their games are a lot alike..

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I'm not worried about any Dak comparisons, you concluded your post with "if Dak could win Super Bowls" and that's where it starts and ends with me. My only concern is that the Cowboys get back to competing for and winning a few super bowls. I would much rather compare the Cowboys teams of the 70s to those of the 90s :flagwave:Player comparisons and legacies or just not my cup of tea;)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak has a similar career to these guys, but converts his SB opportunity into a win, are we all happy with his time?
anigif_sub-buzz-4429-1485463665-2.gif

MarcusRock

Reaction score
nah maybe but id say hes more like Alex Smith not great but good enough with a great team around them they can get it done and really his upside ie their games match is Russell Wilson.. noone wants to admit it but RW fort 3-4 years even his sb where RW was not the Wilson of today and the run game and defense carried that team look a lot like Daks and each year Daks trying to fix some flaws as Wilson did.. will he become Wilson, not sure but their games are a lot alike..

They're not though. Wilson is eons more mobile than Dak plus Wilson was throwing accurate bombs since he came into the league. We're still having that conversation about Dak 3 years in.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They're not though. Wilson is eons more mobile than Dak plus Wilson was throwing accurate bombs since he came into the league. We're still having that conversation about Dak 3 years in.
no he took a lot of sack, took hard hits and was not as accurate .. Dak can be mobile they are very close in that category when dak wants to do it..i believe the looking contract and injury concern kept dak from running more.. like I aid IMO hes Alex smith but has a lot of RW in him.. RW been in the league 8years on his third deal dak going into year 5 on the same rookie deal..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Give Dak a $30+ million a year contract, and we'll be looking at 8-8 for the next decade.

Why are we so afraid to roll the dice on finding a real franchise QB? We did with Troy, and that was the last of our Super Bowls.

We thought Bledsoe and Romo were "good enough" and we could have drafted many of the current Super Bowl winning QB's.

Dallas is currently built for mediocrity.

Hopefully the coaching can get us over the hump but i'm worried that McCarthy is a status quo hire.

Dallas needs to find an explosive difference maker SOMEWHERE.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
no he took a lot of sack, took hard hits and was not as accurate .. Dak can be mobile they are very close in that category when dak wants to do it..i believe the looking contract and injury concern kept dak from running more.. like I aid IMO hes Alex smith but has a lot of RW in him.. RW been in the league 8years on his third deal dak going into year 5 on the same rookie deal..

We were comparing Dak to Wilson's early years. But Wilson 8 years in is still more mobile than Dak has ever been. And as much as Wilson did benefit from a great defense and a good running game, he's always had the tools to carry a team if need be. Good coaching doesn't allow your QB to absorb an astronomical load unless he has to. When Wilson had to, he answered the call because he's always had the ability, his crappy offensive lines notwithstanding. He's had Doug Baldwin and who else? Can we lean on Dak to do such things with a better WR cast? Not yet we can't. And I don't doubt that we can someday but for now, I'm hoping Zeke stays healthy.

Have a look at Wilson's rookie season and look at the throws he made not to mention his blazing mobility. Dak has never had the latter to that degree (the former either from where I sit). Dak's not elusive, he's "mobile for a big guy" and can run over a DB if needed but not juke or outrun them. Even Romo was more mobile than Dak in his early years. But back to Wilson, in particular, look at what Wilson did to a better Patriots team, starting at around 4:20.

Last edited:

Zman5

Reaction score
McNabb actually did carry those teams. He was one of the most difficult guys in the league to stop for a long time with Andy Reid.

That's more Andy Reid and having a great defense than McNabb. McNabb's a career completion percentage was 58%. He routinely threw the ball into the turf.

RS12

Reaction score
Yeah.. If I pay Russell Wilson prices I expect Russell Wilson quality. Instead i'm getting a QB who does squat against good teams and pads his numbers on bad teams.

If there is any chance to trade up and steal Tua Tagovailoa then show some cajones and go get him.
Not a chance. Miami is all over Tua.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I'd be good with those comparisons.

They were both Top-5 QBs at their peak though.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If the Cowboys win a Super Bowl I'm going to be ecstatic no matter who's under center. I would think most or all would agree with that sentiment.

I have to ask--in this hypothetical scenario, how much cap is Dak eating up?
When McNabb was there for most of the 2000's, I would have taken him over any QB we had except Romo.
But only at a certain price. If McNabb was demanding to be paid the most of any QB in the league, that probably would have changed my mind.
Dak won't even stay as highest paid QB in the jessie for a year. They need to get him signed before the price goes up from others signing.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I've always thought McNair was the right comparison and that McNair was a lot better than most fans gave him credit for.

I also think (like McNair) Dak has top level leadership qualities (and McNabb didn't).

If you gave up the trade package of four premium picks for Dak like Philly did for Wentz, I would generally think Dak was worth it.

For a late 4th round pick its a huge win for the franchise.
I think McNabb in his prime was better but if you want to compare Dak I would say maybe Cousins. He was 4th round pick too. Daks mentally better than Cousins but I think Cousins throws a better ball but both guys are not capable of carrying a team through tough times. If Dak were to make it to SB that would be a win and exceed what I would expect from him. If he won a SB I would dancing in the streets and be more than happy to get blasted on this forum for bashing him.

Hadenough

Reaction score
The thing about Wilson is he has a cannon for an arm and has always used his legs. What's made him better is using his legs to buy him time to throw.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My biggest problem with Dak is the contract he would receive.

We're paying him for intangibles and not really for his skill.
Assuming the pay level is in the $30-35 MM/year range, fans will have to get used to the idea that kind of pay isn't unique or limited only the elite of the elite. In fact, it's likely the pay will continue to rise to never before seen levels, even for QB's among the top 10-15 at the position. Teams that aren't willing to pay at that level will be taking a very big risk of ending up with a bottom 5-10 QB.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Fair comparisons and I can see Dak hovering in that 5 to 10 range among QBs during his career. But can also see him being in the top 5 discussion as well. I will say thay Dak is already a better passer than both of those guys were at this point in their careers. Obviously statistically, but more importantly he's a much more efficient passer. Just compare his td%, int%, yards per attempt, etc. and it's easy to see why.

In terms of scrambling, both McNair and McNabb were the better runners at this point in their careers, but once that ability declined so did their careers.