Would you bring DLaw back after this season?

Beaker42

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if he is back after this season. I'm a DLaw fan, but I'd think you are grooming Williams to take over, and it might even make sense to resign the younger Dorrance Armstrong with the money saved from losing Dlaw.
I just despise the fact that DLaw doesn’t get sacks.

Techsass

Reaction score
He does a lot for the defense, but I don't see him ever getting double digit sacks. So the question is does he earn his paycheck.

I think he does, but the team might not. We'll just have to wait & see.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He will have one more non-guaranteed year left on his deal. We can save $10M with a post-June 1 release or trade.
Tough call for me coz there's a ton of dirty work he cleans up that you won't find on the stat sheet.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarcus-lawrence-14443/

Surprisingly to me, I'd lean toward keeping him. He's not in the 20mil range anymore. Down to 10mil.

He's a good if not great edge player. Balanced run/pass defense.
If we keep him through the end of his contract, we get a comp pick on the back end.

Put it all together, and he's probably worth keeping.

And since there's no more guaranteed money, management is in the driver's seat. He's one of those older guys we keep through camp and then give a pay cut ultimatum to. Or we trade him.

Guys with no guaranteed money are all upside on health risk mitigation on *other* players and only injury risk payout on his end.

You hold onto those rights until you have to pay out something, which will only be the start of 2024. Unless his play just craters to where it would be another Zeke scenario, he stays until we have to decide on 2024.

Keep in mind that Armstrong is almost certainly gone in 2024.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Looking at the money, Dallas would be best served by finding a trade partner for DLaw next offseason. Lawrence on a 1yr $10M deal could be appealing to a team.
One of the options we'll have.

That's the thing, with no guaranteed money, he's all team options until the 2024 regular season starts.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No one knows ... DLaw could very well re-sign for a one year 8 million dollar deal after this current is expired., when its said and done.

This is a team that had no qualms about giving a very declining Tyrone Crawford 7 and 9 million dollars on his last contract.
But the Crawford extensions were massive mistakes.

The downside on DLaw is still pretty high. If he's not worth the money, it won't be by a ton.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
I would let him play out his contract unles he drops off dramatically this ssason. Definitely would not extend contract. His production has dropped dramatically after his latest contract.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Depends on his contract demands. He has been a solid player but he is aging and we supposedly have guys now. It’s time to get younger on D line and potentially better. Personally I would not bring him back.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
This. He's still going to count $10m against the cap if he's a June-1 cut.

He should still be effective for another couple of years, even if passrush declines, because of his ability in the run game and willingness to do the dirty work on stunts and that sort of thing.
Pass rush is only good against the NYG

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Not bring back the no. 8 edge in the league?

That would be incredibly dumb....
Yep, it's all about the flashy stats, some fans never look at the workhorses. Id bring him back, but he'd have to accept a limited run stuffer contract. I bet another team will put bid us if he hit the market (and money was his motivation).

KDM256

Reaction score
Me personally would have DLaw on the roster unless Dallas has a favorable trade offer on the table. Dallas definitely shouldn't overpay him again and if he hits free agency then so be it. Should get a comp pick as a result.