Would you bring DLaw back for 2024?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
anyone who says no is just hating at this point

Dude is the leader of this defense and is having his best season imo

You bring him back.
Trust me, they’ll be a lot of hating if we have a short playoff run. They’ll be fans wanting to blow up the team. They won’t want to extend anyone who’s up for a big contract.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
There’s like a 400k difference between his cap hit and dead money. There’s not much of a question he’ll be back… even with half of the performance he’s had this season!
I understand but no NFL starter playing at such a high level will play on a contract w/o guaranteed money. This is the final season of G'teed money under the restructured deal he signed in 2022. But my guess is they will work something out for another couple of years. Also keep in mind he's up Walter Payton Man of the Year award. So I'm sure he def wants to stay.

movaughn88

Reaction score
No, he's not a free agent but I doubt he will play 2024 w/o new G'teed money. For me, yes w/o a doubt if he's willing to play for the $10M range. He is still a valuable piece of this D even w/o the sexy stats.

This is his contract........he restructured in 2022 ( $40M 30m G'teed) In other words, this is his final year of G'teed money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarcus-lawrence-14443/

You are smoking rocks if you think he is worth or will play for $10m a year.

What the heck is wrong with you people.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
No, he's not a free agent but I doubt he will play 2024 w/o new G'teed money. For me, yes w/o a doubt if he's willing to play for the $10M range. He is still a valuable piece of this D even w/o the sexy stats.

This is his contract........he restructured in 2022 ( $40M 30m G'teed) In other words, this is his final year of G'teed money.

Two comments:

1. Of course Tank plays for Dallas next year.

2. I'm so tired of players threatening to/actually holding out while they have a contract in place (not that Tank has done this). When it happens, it means that, aside from the first years of the deal, the contract isn't worth the paper it's written on. They sign a deal. A deal is a deal. I'd be okay with a league-wide policy that any player under contract who refuses to play sits out a year, can't play for another team, and the money they would've made is returned to their team's cap. As for the circumstances where the player suddenly sustains phantom injuries, let the NFLPA assemble a team of doctors that essentially act as arbitrators of the player's fitness. If they say he's gtg and he still claims a fitness-related issue, he doesn't get paid.

The only players that ever take this position have already made a bunch of money. We never see a backup or some marginal player threatening to sit out unless they male more money.

Mahomes signed a 10 year deal in 2020 worth $450MM. They've already restructured it and given him more money. I'm not saying he isn't worth it, but he inked the deal and should be playing for an average of $45MM for 10 years. Instead, the restructured deal has him potentially making $218MM for 2023-2026, or $54MM/yr., $9MM/yr (or $36MM) more than he otherwise would've made.

I don't begrudge players making bank. Unless he gets injured, Dak will probably sign the richest QB deal in history next year. He has a no-tag clause, so the Cowboys have to get a deal done with him. Look for it to be in the 4 year, $60MM per range. Would I like to see Dak take a discount to ensure that we have money left for other players? Of course. Do I expect him to do that? Heck no. If he inks a 4 year deal, I think he does take a discount at age 35, not because of 'declining age' (probably not a thing at 35 for QBs now), but he will have already made generational money, something he hasn't made yet.

And for all the people who point to Brady and his team-friendly deals during the dynasty, you'll never convince me that Kraft didn't take care of Brady in ways that will never be discovered. Yeah, he had an uber rich wife, but idc, I think he was getting paid.

I hate the salary cap. Yes, it makes more teams relevant, but I'm a Cowboy fan, so I only care about how Jerry would spend his tail off to buy the best team in the NFL.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Yes, he makes the most impactful plays for this defense.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
No one serious about football would get rid of DLaw.
He makes Micah, Micah.
He plays the run better than any Edge and shifts inside and eats blocks up.
He has worked with us multiple times on his contract and likely will continue to do so.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I understand but no NFL starter playing at such a high level will play on a contract w/o guaranteed money. This is the final season of G'teed money under the restructured deal he signed in 2022. But my guess is they will work something out for another couple of years. Also keep in mind he's up Walter Payton Man of the Year award. So I'm sure he def wants to stay.
Why are you so certain he will hold out unless there is a re-structure? I think a mutually re-structure might happen, but I don't see Lawrence demanding it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Mahomes signed a 10 year deal in 2020 worth $450MM. They've already restructured it and given him more money. I'm not saying he isn't worth it, but he inked the deal and should be playing for an average of $45MM for 10 years. Instead, the restructured deal has him potentially making $218MM for 2023-2026, or $54MM/yr., $9MM/yr (or $36MM) more than he otherwise would've made.

I don't begrudge players making bank. Unless he gets injured, Dak will probably sign the richest QB deal in history next year. He has a no-tag clause, so the Cowboys have to get a deal done with him. Look for it to be in the 4 year, $60MM per range. Would I like to see Dak take a discount to ensure that we have money left for other players? Of course. Do I expect him to do that? Heck no. If he inks a 4 year deal, I think he does take a discount at age 35, not because of 'declining age' (probably not a thing at 35 for QBs now), but he will have already made generational money, something he hasn't made yet.
Hasn't the Mahomes' contract been restructured to benefit the Chiefs salary cap? The team initiated, as was always the plan, the restructures.

Dak has accumulated generational wealth already. He has earned $162 million in NFL salary. Cut that in half for taxes, agents,... and that is plenty to care for his family for years to come. That doesn't even include anything he has made with endorsement deals. They guy is set right now and his next contract will be huge.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Yes, he would but it's not guaranteed......I'm 100% certain he will ask for his release or refuse to report w/o a restructuring.
He will probably pull a Zach Martin on us.

One of Zach's worst years by the way!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, he would but it's not guaranteed......I'm 100% certain he will ask for his release or refuse to report w/o a restructuring.
Firstly I think you’re wrong in that certainty.

Secondly, he has zero leverage.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
When we had that awesome goal line stand, on first down, did anyone else just know that DLaw was going to make the play that would flip the script?
To me, that play and series was may more important than the stupid ref call at the end of the game, but no one discusses it.

Creeper

Reaction score
Absolutely. Armstrong and Fowler are free agents so we absolutely need him back. Based on that contract he’s not going anywhere. It would be too much dead money.
This is the problem. The Cowboys are projected to be $21 million over the CAP in 2024 and they have a lot of free agents of their own to sign. If they cut Lawrence, they get a over $2 million CAP save which is not that much really. But the problem is they need players in 2024. Armstrong, Fowler, Lewis, Biadasz and others will be free agents, and LVE is probably going to retire.

This is why they have to extend Dak, to create CAP space. The Cowboys will have all their "stars" signed but the guys who are free agents are role players who will be missed. I do not think the 2024 Cowboys will be as good as the 2023 Cowboys so they better make some noise this year.

Loso86

Reaction score

Mr_437

Reaction score
BTW....notice his cap hit $20M
Considering there's no cost benefit or reason not to he will be back. More than likely the Cowboys will either add another short extension or dummy year to spread out the cap hit.
DLaw's 2025 year (33) is a $1M base salary, so I can see that $20M for 2024 being broke down into the next year some way.

Proof

Reaction score
You are smoking rocks if you think he is worth or will play for $10m a year.

What the heck is wrong with you people.
he's played the past three years for only marginally more than that. and has made over a 100 million in his career and is in the tail end of his prime. I dont know what he will or won't play for moving forward, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion

Mr_437

Reaction score
Armstrong and Fowler are free agents so we absolutely need him back.
First, we need to know if DQ is coming back because he has the relationship with Fowler. I think Armstrong is gone, leaving:
DLaw
Sam
Micah
Chauncey

Wheat
Fehoko
*If this is the Cowboys DE group heading into the draft a premium pick will be an Edge.