Would you bring Schultz back on a 1-year deal?

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't him back. If he could block at least half way decent then I would sign him for an under 5 million one year deal. Schultz's lack of blocking kills the running game. Also, based on his decision making at the end of the SF playoff game, he appears either to be not situationally aware or just not able to handle pressure situations.
Another misconception.
Since Schultz does block more than halfway decent, you now want him back?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd let the draft play out first. Good player, but not necessarily a game changer. He plays alot like Jason Witten did late in his career. Good possession player that helps move the sticks, but far from dynamic. I'd really like to see what this offense looks like with somebody that can stretch the field and create match up problems at that position.
Nothing wrong with this plan. I like it.

Schultz has very little leverage now and won't have any leverage after the draft.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Give me Kincaid. Kid is a beast and I don’t even care if he can’t pass block. He’s a matchup nightmare like Kelce.

kskboys

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with this plan. I like it.

Schultz has very little leverage now and won't have any leverage after the draft.
Schultz made the mistake of overvaluing himself last off. Or rather, that's what it's looking like up to this point. IMO, he should've been working on a 4 year/35mil type deal. I'm still wondering who in hades told him he was worth 15. I know Spottrac claimed it, but did anyone else?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No. The young guys are better and they'll draft another one.
What possibly makes you say they are better? I am not for bringing Schultz back, but only because we spent draft capital on the position specifically to avoid paying the position big dollars, so we need to roll with the 2 young guys. But we are HOPING we get Schultz production out of those young guys.

Motorola

Reaction score
I'd let the draft play out first. Good player, but not necessarily a game changer. He plays alot like Jason Witten did late in his career. Good possession player that helps move the sticks, but far from dynamic. I'd really like to see what this offense looks like with somebody that can stretch the field and create match up problems at that position.
exactly true. Then this years TE class is special and deep. That 1000% killed his stock in free agency. No fault of his. I think he lands back in Dallas. McCarthy will then use all 3 TE's and get them all heavily involved, which I like. KM never did much. New England did this a few years back and it was hard to beat. Defenses struggled to match up.
I looked at 10 mock drafts earlier this afternoon; three of them had Dallas @ pick no. 26 choosing 3 different TEs --- Kincaid from Utah, Mussgrave out of Oregon State, and Washington leaving Georgia.
Add to the mix Mayer -Norte Dame, La Porta- Iowa, Kraft- North Dakota State ----plus others ----- no way should the Cowboys even think about bringing back Schultz.

Last edited:

FVSTONE

Reaction score

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
he was an elite route running TE. I loved that dude. Schultz isnt that. He is Witten light basically
Elite? He did what Witten and Schultz did. Patrol the hash marks. What made all of those guys special was an OL that kept Troy upright, Emmitt's ability to find the openings, Troy's laserbeam passes, and all the other playmakers which worked in tandem to get people open.

I am not knocking Jay, or Witten. But in this offense, he gets open and moves the chains and is pretty sure handed. I see no need to slander him because he wanted more money. Not saying you suggested that.

rambo2

Reaction score
I looked at 10 mock drafts earlier this afternoon; three of them had Dallas @ pick no. 26 choosing 3 different TEs --- Kincaid from Utah, Mussgrave out of Oregon State, and Washington leaving Georgia.
Add to the mix Mayer -Norte Dame, La Porta- Iowa, Kraft- North Dakota State ----plus others ----- no way should the Cowboys even think about bringing back Schultz.
If they brought Schultz back, they could draft the defensive tackle that they need or BPA.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
No. He's a good TE, but he ain't worth that much. He's primarily a check down TE and lacks a dynamic side (not a YAC guy, not much of a downfield threat like the elite TEs are). I think Ferguson fills his role as a checkdown target pretty seamlessly, and Hendershot has potential to be a downfield threat. Both are better blockers than Schultz, who always seemed to struggle as a blocker.

Motorola

Reaction score
If they brought Schultz back, they could draft the defensive tackle that they need or BPA.
Not resigning Schultz does not impede the Cowboys from drafting the BPA on the board at pick 26.
No matter the number of quality TEs are available in the first round...I would select RB Robinson, or any of the top 4 CBs that might still be available (Witherspoon and Gonzalez are long gone, but Porter Jr. and Banks could still be on the board for Dallas).
The gist of my comment about Schultz - he's progressed to be a good TE in his 5 seasons in Dallas - but the Cowboys should roll with the three younger guys on the roster that showed promise last season + see what prospects are available in later rounds (4 and below).
Heading into day 4 of FA ---Schuitz has not struck a deal yet; his asking price too high?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
$10-12M .....
Spotrac has a value of $15M ......it appears he's not getting that. Maybe his value is hurt by the strong TE draft class. He may be better off signing with us for another year and re-entering the market in 2024.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dalton-schultz-25238/market-value/#:~:text=Current Contract,average annual salary of $10,931,000.

I would think the Dak Lovers would love to have Schultz back as Deek's security blanket. I am sure Deek would agree with me.

Reaction score

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
One a one year deal if its relatively cheap, like $6-7 tops.................if he wants more than that he can go talk to his boy with the Chargers.