Would you bring Schultz back on a 1-year deal?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
7.9 ypt and seemed to have some juice with the ball in his hands. Damn good for a rookie TE. Recall that Schultz was a popular target for cut talks early on.

I have no hesitation to starting Ferguson this year. Develop a cheap young guy who has already shown talent. Such a no brainer.
OK.......but what about his protection and blocking assignments. I remember reading where one ex GM and coach say TE is the hardest offensive position to master after QB. I never thought about it until they mention how it has protection and blocking responsibility for all offensive positions. In other words, he has to know Oline, RB, and WRs positions also. As they put it, this is why a number of teams use a receiving and blocking TE.

No questions about his receiving skills though

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right now we do not have a starting TE. I understand posters saying, Ferguson is the next man up and he can start but the problem is how ready is he? Look at his stats......... numbers don't give me a lot of confidence.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jake-ferguson-77006/stats-valuation/
Schultz didn’t have impressive numbers his rookie season either. He had 13 total receptions his first 2 seasons. Ferguson had a good rookie season with 19 receptions and 2 TDs. Ferguson has a lot of upside and don’t be surprised if the Cowboys draft a TE in a very deep TE draft.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think the FO is intent upon getting a TE who can excel at both blocking and receiving and settling for less pay than Schultz expects. There's a good chance they'll find one in the upcoming draft. There are enough good ones available to succeed in doing so if they play their cards right. If they succeed in acquiring one, it'll be a step forward to becoming more competitive. To me, it seems advisable for them to do that to improve.

quickccc

Reaction score
No.

Need the run game to improve first and foremost. Having Schultz as your TE1 doesn’t help that cause.

I'd only look at Schultz as a post NFL draft option on a 1 year ...and yes bargain deal.

There's the options of Jake Ferguson and what is supposedly a deep TE class, and they could end up being just as good as Schultz.

What Dalton has going for him is a game day NFL experience and a rapport with Dak. .. but otherwise i'm looking for more mismatch skills, speed
and better in-line blocking at the TE role.

conner01

Reaction score
I think the FO is intent upon getting a TE who can excel at both blocking and receiving and settling for less pay than Schultz expects. There's a good chance they'll find one in the upcoming draft. There are enough good ones available to succeed in doing so if they play their cards right. If they succeed in acquiring one, it'll be a step forward to becoming more competitive. To me, it seems advisable for them to do that to improve.
They are hard to find that excel at both
Ferguson is solid at both
Hendershot is much more athletic than I expected
I think middle rounds you find a 3rd guy and go with what have
Save the money for a bigger need

75boyz

Reaction score
For me personally, I'd probably stick with the 3 amigos Ferg/Hendershot/ McKeon at TE while continuing to pursue an impactful FA WR.

conner01

Reaction score
If Spann-Ford is there in the 3rd I’d take him
Best blocker in the class. Not a dynamic athlete but big target and blocks like an OT

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
They are hard to find that excel at both
Ferguson is solid at both
Hendershot is much more athletic than I expected
I think middle rounds you find a 3rd guy and go with what have
Save the money for a bigger need
Solid points, although, I'm fairly convinced that we'll make acquiring an extremely talented TE this year to attend to all three of those questions. Of course, it's a rare TE that is capable of being talented at all three of those requirements. If we're ever to find one to do so, this should be it, imho. It would behoove us to finally welcome a TE who can receive, block and get downfield to receive impressively for the first time since forever. ;)

Big_D

Reaction score
Here is where you have to find production cheaper with more important needs elsewhere. I think Ferguson, Hendershot and a rookie will be a good enough group. Spend that money at WR and DT.

conner01

Reaction score
Solid points, although, I'm fairly convinced that we'll make acquiring an extremely talented TE this year to attend to all three of those questions. Of course, it's a rare TE that is capable of being talented at all three of those requirements. If we're ever to find one to do so, this should be it, imho. It would behoove us to finally welcome a TE who can receive, block and get downfield to receive impressively for the first time since forever. ;)
I don’t think we go TE at 26 but might in the second if say Washington was there. He’s good at blocking and recieving, Laporta not a great blocker but is dangerous with ball in his hands which is rare for a TE
McCarthy system will make TE cool again
Even under Moore the offense was more effective when we got TE involved

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Probably not for 10M-12M. Kelce has a $14M cap hit and Schultz couldn't carry his cleats.

Patrick

Reaction score
If they're not going to spend that money elsewhere than yes, 1 year at $8.0mil or less I would be fine with. Ferguson/Schultz tandem is solid, i'm not quite sold on Hendershot yet.

I'd rather put that money towards D-Hop and a DT like Nnadi though.

phildadon86

Reaction score
$10-12M .....
Spotrac has a value of $15M ......it appears he's not getting that. Maybe his value is hurt by the strong TE draft class. He may be better off signing with us for another year and re-entering the market in 2024.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dalton-schultz-25238/market-value/#:~:text=Current Contract,average annual salary of $10,931,000.

Nope. I was done with him when he decided an elimination game trailing the other team on the road was a good time to forget to get his feet down.