Would You Bring Witten Back?

T-RO

Reaction score
Witten was planning on playing in 2018 for the Cowboys until his age issues and a lucrative broadcasting opportunity came his way. But that gig isn’t going so well. Reviews have been starkly negative. Sometimes HOF players and class act guys can’t cut it in the booth. That’s no indictment on the player or the man.

It’s not likely but what if LoserVille network ESPN decided to cut the cord and buy out his contract? Would you bring him back?

Now remember he’s not the same player as he was 3-4 years ago...and he’s not currently in playing shape. Even if ESPN made a move in the next 10 days...it would likely take at least 3, 4 weeks to get Witten close to playing shape. And he might not even want to return to playing now.

It would be week 8 at the *earliest* where he could suit up...and even that might be wildly optimistic. Still interested?

Zman5

Reaction score
Is JG getting fired? Yes I take him back as the new HC. No more camp carrot cake.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
There are zero circumstances that make Witten do a u-turn and play football again.

T-RO

Reaction score
There are zero circumstances that make Witten do a u-turn and play football again.

I don’t agree with that. This man was born to play and it’s forever in his veins. He saw Tony’s success and happiness and it inspired him to ride a similar route. But he’s not Tony in the booth and never will be. He’s out of his element announcing and has no future in the booth.

Would he welcome a final chance—albeit slim—to grasp a Lombardi trophy? I say he might.

T-RO

Reaction score
:facepalm:

A. He is not getting fired after a few games
B. His playing days are over

The era of Romo, Dez and Witten is gone, let it go..........

I have no problem letting it go. I argued months ago that the Cowboys should cut the cord with Jason, based on contract/prodution. But if we are talking just a few million dollars...and Jason wants in...

Say the Cowboys sit 3-1....what say you?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This thread is an exercise in futility as far as the chances of Witten returning. He has a new gig that appears to be going well. Let's not waste time and mental energy contemplating that which, by all indications, isn't at all likely to happen. I'd be willing to waste a few minutes of my time at this point to state the obvious. In serving that cause, here goes:

I wouldn't bring Witten back as a player, even if the opportunity presented itself. If it were eventually possible for him to return as a TE coach, that would be another story for another time. As far as him coming back as a player, that boat has already sailed. It's simply not worth considering at this point in time. He's older and out of shape now. Other players need to come into the picture and be allowed to develop.

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
This thread is an exercise in futility as far as the chances of Witten returning. He has a new gig that appears to be going well. Let's not waste time and mental energy contemplating that which, by all indications, isn't likely to happen. Nevertheless, I would not bring him back, even if that opportunity presented itself. That boat has already sailed. It's not worth considering at this point in time. End of story.

If I was Jason...or someone who wanted his best interest...I’d try to make it happen. He has no future in broadcasting. He lacks the skills. He’s out of place there. That is a total dead-end.

He might have a tiny window remaining as a guy who can play tight end for a team, thin at the position...that could still use the savy and hands.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If I was Jason...or someone who wanted his best interest...I’d try to make it happen. He has no future in broadcasting. He lacks the skills. He’s out of place there. That is a total dead-end.

He might have a tiny window remaining as a guy who can play tight end for a team, thin at the position...that could still use the savy and hands.

We're always preaching patience and allowing players to develop, right? Let's allow Witten the same consideration that we do with players who also need time to develop and hone their skills. I think he's doing as well right now as need be. I like what I've seen of him as a broadcaster at this early stage of his career. Let's not beat a dead horse with something that doesn't merit the time that it takes to even consider it. Let's be fair with Witten and his new life.

Face it -- this thread was ill-conceived. Despite that, I've already responded with my thoughts on the matter, simply out of respect for you. Let it go. You've posted some quite excellent threads in the past -- this just wasn't one of them, imho.

Last edited:

DanA

Reaction score
I wouldn't go near Witten.

His last year was just "solid" and out of shape you'd expect him to drop down a notch. We need to find the TE to hold down the position for the next 5 years rather than go back to the guy that's done it the last 15.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Witten is not getting fired and definitely not returning to football as a player. This is just speculation because the new format they have adopted and never tried before isn't working. The sideline guy, Booger McFarland's open mic creates a disjointed presentation to the broadcast. It's obvious McFarland is a more seasoned pro at analyzing live football action but because he is not face-to-face with the other broadcasters, he tends to walk over them and be the more prominent speaker. Witten isn't doing a bad job, he's just not being heard as much. The format needs to be fixed. The simple solution is to mute McFarland's mic until they come to him as the sideline guy for added information like other networks have done for years.

As poor of a job as the Cowboys have done to fill the TE shoes after Witten's retirement, bringing Witten back is not the answer. DO BETTER SCOUTING DEPARTMENT!

EST_1986

Reaction score
Witten is not getting fired and definitely not returning to football as a player. This is just speculation because the new format they have adopted and never tried before isn't working. The sideline guy, Booger McFarland's open mic creates a disjointed presentation to the broadcast. It's obvious McFarland is a more seasoned pro at analyzing live football action but because he is not face-to-face with the other broadcasters, he tends to walk over them and be the more prominent speaker. Witten isn't doing a bad job, he's just not being heard as much. The format needs to be fixed. The simple solution is to mute McFarland's mic until they come to him as the sideline guy for added information like other networks have done for years.

As poor of a job as the Cowboys have done to fill the TE shoes after Witten's retirement, bringing Witten back is not the answer. DO BETTER SCOUTING DEPARTMENT!
Witten isn't very natural in the booth and the dynamic where 1/3 of the announcing crew is away from the other two just isn't working. I think your analysis is spot on, the format is a bad one.

irishline

Reaction score
Well his average yard per reception last year is 2.9 yards more than the tight ends so far this year. :p:(:D

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Witten isn't very natural in the booth and the dynamic where 1/3 of the announcing crew is away from the other two just isn't working. I think your analysis is spot on, the format is a bad one.
Booger McFarland wasn't as good as he is now either. Witten just needs time to hone his craft. Maybe they switch Booger and Witten out but I don't see them breaking up that crew after one season.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Booger McFarland wasn't as good as he is now either. Witten just needs time to hone his craft. Maybe they switch Booger and Witten out but I don't see them breaking up that crew after one season.
They need time to gel for sure but having Booger on the field is killing the flow.

T-RO

Reaction score

I encourage anyone to check out the early reviews on Witten as broadcaster. They are HORRIBLE. It’s only a question of when ESPN moves on to someone else. If they do so soon...Jason might want to jump back to football for 6 games or so and a playoff ride.

Just one of the many articles on Wit in the booth:
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...-ex-cowboy-jason-witten-monday-night-football